Please ask your 9.5 questions here

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Zendorf: You can already do this with the ChSampler node from Ditools! I am using it on a project at the moment in conjunction with the new Fusion thing plugin. Essentially using a greyscale series of bitmaps from AE rendered using Soundkeys to drive parameters in Xpresso...fun stuff.

Thanks for this info Zendorf - I wasn't aware that DiTools could do this, will investigate further...

Seeyou - Chris

08 August 2005
Hey Chris,

You may want to check an old thread of mine here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=233836

It has a mini tute on this technique and a sample scene file. There is also a thread on this topic over at the Remotion forums. We are trying to get Remo keen to create an FFT style sound node for xpresso...the more posts, the better!

08 August 2005
As I understand it the Bitmap-Node is just an enhanced Result-node that shows an image.
It doesn't really add a functionality but helps a little. All channels and sub-channels of a texture are already editable using xpresso since the R.8. Just drag them from the AM to the xpresso editor.

08 August 2005
Abstrax... the tablet issue is also a problem for us here in Toronto. It makes dollying in and out of models with a tablet very slow. I have submitted it as a suggestion to Maxon. The issue seems to be that Cinema (as compared to XSI or Maya) uses linear viewport navigation. With non-linear navigation, the viewport responds not only to the unit distance of mouse movements, but also to the speed. Please try using a tablet in Maya for comparison.

The best thing would be to implement a 'response' spinner in the preferences that would allow you to set the sensitivity of movements. This would result in a much snappier feeling and much more efficient workflow (in particular for those working with a tablet). Please consider fixing this. Also, it would be nice if Cinema could auto-detect that a tablet is being used, so that the preference toggle is not needed.

On the upside, the new tools look great. The Renderman linkup will surely make Cinema more appealing to the larger studios. Keep up the great work!

08 August 2005
Even using a normal mouse, I would love to have non linear viewport navigation.

Originally Posted by chris_b: Abstrax... the tablet issue is also a problem for us here in Toronto. It makes dollying in and out of models with a tablet very slow. I have submitted it as a suggestion to Maxon. The issue seems to be that Cinema (as compared to XSI or Maya) uses linear viewport navigation. With non-linear navigation, the viewport responds not only to the unit distance of mouse movements, but also to the speed. Please try using a tablet in Maya for comparison.

The best thing would be to implement a 'response' spinner in the preferences that would allow you to set the sensitivity of movements. This would result in a much snappier feeling and much more efficient workflow (in particular for those working with a tablet). Please consider fixing this. Also, it would be nice if Cinema could auto-detect that a tablet is being used, so that the preference toggle is not needed.

On the upside, the new tools look great. The Renderman linkup will surely make Cinema more appealing to the larger studios. Keep up the great work!

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by ThePriest: It's not so much a problem as more of an unfortunate usage when compared to normal mouse navigation. When trying to navigate large scene's with the wacom option turned on, you have to use many pen strokes to get around, as apposed to when the option is off, you can navigate without the restriction of the border of the screen.

Catch my drift?

I'll post the suggestion all the same. Didn't realize it was something you were unaware of.
If possible, see the wacom functionality in other 3D apps, it's much more fun to use in say Maya.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, I will pass it to the developers.

08 August 2005
Hi, one question, i have shave and a haircut 2.5, is this plugin still available whit the new 9.5 release?

Thanx

08 August 2005
Question

Ok, here's my question... well, first off, Maxon Rules!!! I am so freakin' excited about this update. I jumped onboard when R9 came out, so this is the first upgrade that I can really appreciate... Anyway, if I upgrade from xl to studio now, would that qualify as "purchasing c4d after july 1st" so I would get the free upgrade to 9.5 studio? I would probobly consider getting the engineering bundle extras too. If I'm spontaneously throwing Maxon $1,200 - 1,800 bucks, would they be cool and update me?

That would be pretty cool, and I would upgrade everything sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Daoine

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by edux: Hi, one question, i have shave and a haircut 2.5, is this plugin still available whit the new 9.5 release?

Thanx

Yes, it's still available and works on R9.5.

08 August 2005
Quote: That means currently you can't buy these features as an add-on for "standard" CINEMA 4D. If the demand for them will be high enough, we might think about upgrades for the "standard" CINEMA 4D. The production bundle is still work in progress and that means, I can't say too much (unfortunately).

To your question: The Renderman connection is more or less a beefed up RIB exporter, that allows to export your CINEMA 4D scene into RIB files and to include your own Renderman shader into CINEMA 4D for the RIB export. You can launch the rendering directly from CINEMA 4D or only export the scene.

Ugh. Please make the RIB exporter available as a purchaseable add-on to C4D. It would open the door to a whole world of Renderman compliant rendering (Sitex Air and so on) even if its not a click-click-render solution yet. I'd love to get something like Paxrendus or Liquid for C4D.

08 August 2005
A Word of caution to Maxon

I am excited with all the new features Maxon plans to release in the next version of C4D, but I worry about Maxon going the way of Maya. A lot of users of C4D myself included bought C4D instead of Maya because of C4D's simple, intuitive interface.

"I just hope Maxon doesn't try and be a Maya and forget about those of us who bought C4D for it's great features, and ease of use"

I spoke to Maxon a few months ago and they said they planned to keep the U.I. simple and uncluttered. There's nothing more annoying than going through layer after layer of menus and panels to try and find something like in Maya.

It's a balancing act trying to add more cool features all the while trying to keep it simple to use. I love this app and I reallly hope Maxon can successfully achieve this balance.

08 August 2005
Rest assured that the interface of Cinema gets better with each new release--not worse!

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Paint Guy: I am excited with all the new features Maxon plans to release in the next version of C4D, but I worry about Maxon going the way of Maya. A lot of users of C4D myself included bought C4D instead of Maya because of C4D's simple, intuitive interface.

"I just hope Maxon doesn't try and be a Maya and forget about those of us who bought C4D for it's great features, and ease of use"

I spoke to Maxon a few months ago and they said they planned to keep the U.I. simple and uncluttered. There's nothing more annoying than going through layer after layer of menus and panels to try and find something like in Maya.

It's a balancing act trying to add more cool features all the while trying to keep it simple to use. I love this app and I reallly hope Maxon can successfully achieve this balance.

I really hope we proofed that in the past Look at Clothilde. Powerful but easy to use. Same for things like e.g. the new SKY. Wait for the demo and see for youself I am sure youŽll be happy ...

btw, our coders HAVE to keep it clear and simple. cause otherwise we had too much people inhouse not able to use our own product ...

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Daoine: Ok, here's my question... well, first off, Maxon Rules!!! I am so freakin' excited about this update. I jumped onboard when R9 came out, so this is the first upgrade that I can really appreciate... Anyway, if I upgrade from xl to studio now, would that qualify as "purchasing c4d after july 1st" so I would get the free upgrade to 9.5 studio? I would probobly consider getting the engineering bundle extras too. If I'm spontaneously throwing Maxon $1,200 - 1,800 bucks, would they be cool and update me?

That would be pretty cool, and I would upgrade everything sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Daoine

Regarding upgrade prices and so on, please wait. We will put the needed information on our web site in the coming days. If your question isn't answered then, please contact your local MAXON office via email or phone.

08 August 2005
Can someone please post a screen grab of the new options on the target expression/tag, thanks,

Thread Closed share thread