Please ask your 9.5 questions here

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
so you have the option to make the pre-pass ONLY calculate the gi pass? that could speed things up massively i would think.

i got a question -

a major render penalty in c4d is rendering reflections. has normal raytraced reflection rendering sped up atall, or is it a case of playing with the new AA speed increases to speed up reflections?

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by abstrax: Regarding serial numbers, the upgrade to R9.5 will be handled like a module. That means that your main CINEMA 4D R9 serial number won't change and therefor you don't have to get new serial numbers. It's the same as with the R8.5 upgrade.

Thanks Marcus, but what i actually meant was conflicts with 3rd party plugins. Do the plugins need to be adapted to work on R9.5, if they are already working for 9?

odo

08 August 2005
Hi.
Great to have someone from Maxon answer the questions here.
Congrats to surprising every body (some expected totally different stuff) and coming up with a productivity update.
I am especially impressed that you updated baker, which will change a lot in my working style.
And that the bone tool now works as it shoul ;-)

What i have not really understood yet:
For the "BigStudio-special offer" there are features listed like full 16/32 bit BP support--
this implies that for the normal folks out there BP 2.5 does not fully support that? or is it just clumsily written?

Also it looks like "the ultimate matte painting tool" is not available (not that anybody knows what it does ;-)

Olli

08 August 2005
costing

Hello
I'm concerned about the pricing of the upgrades.

I have 9.1 with bodypaint and advanced render.
Do I now have pay to upgrade these 3 ?

mmmmmm..........

I really hope there is a minimal upgrade cost as there are going to be alot of people upset if you start charging 100 for a move from 9.1 to 9.5 not to mention the upgrades costs for BP and AR.

turner

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Jonj1611: HI,

I have a question :-

What is the upgrade price from R9 to R9.5 ?

Thanks
Jon

I can't say, what the price will be in MAXON UK or MAXON USA, but MAXON Germany plans to sell the upgrade from R9 to R9.5
- for 171,552 Euro (excl. VAT) if you don't have the module Advanced Render
- for 257,769 Euro (excl. VAT) if you have the module Advanced Render

Then we will offer 3 special upgrades:
- from R7 XL to R9.5 incl. Advanced Render 2.5 for 688,793 Euro (excl. VAT)
- from R8.x to R9.5 incl. Advanced Render 2.5 for 602,586 Euro (excl. VAT)
- from R9 to R9.5 incl. Advanced Render 2.5 for 473,276 Euro (excl. VAT)

The update of BodyPaint 3D R2 stand-alone to BP 3D R2.5 stand-alone will cost 85,345 (excl. VAT).

For other prices, please contact MAXON directly via email/phone.

Edited:
I would like to add that these prices are preliminary until they are published in the MAXON shop.

Last edited by abstrax : 08 August 2005 at 09:48 AM.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Jonj1611: Hi,

Also I note from the features list, renderman was listed. Does this mean we will be able to use the renderman renderer to render scenes directly from Cinema or have I missed something there?

Thanks
Jon

The Renderman connection, the linux version, the 16/32 bit support for BP and ProjectionMan will be available only in the production bundle. The production bundle is thought for high-end studios only and will be available only via a maintenance contract.

The production bundle is still work in progress.

To your question: The Renderman connection is more or less a beefed up RIB exporter, that allows to export your CINEMA 4D scene into RIB files and to include your own Renderman shader into CINEMA 4D for the RIB export. You can launch the rendering directly from CINEMA 4D or only export the scene.

Last edited by abstrax : 08 August 2005 at 11:06 AM.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by STRAT: so you have the option to make the pre-pass ONLY calculate the gi pass? that could speed things up massively i would think.

i got a question -

a major render penalty in c4d is rendering reflections. has normal raytraced reflection rendering sped up atall, or is it a case of playing with the new AA speed increases to speed up reflections?

The raytracing of non-diffuse reflection hasn't been changed a lot, as you can't make it a lot faster (the speed is limited mathematically). BUT the antialiasing has been improved and that means the sub-sampling for best AA has been optimized and that results in a faster calculation of reflections and transparencies. Unfortunately we can't give you any numbers as it's really scene dependent. Please check the demo version when it's available.

The raytracing of diffuse reflections has been improved a lot.

08 August 2005
How does fullscreen mode work with a dual monitor setup? I guess only the first/main monitor is affected (the one with the viewport) ?

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by ooo: Thanks Marcus, but what i actually meant was conflicts with 3rd party plugins. Do the plugins need to be adapted to work on R9.5, if they are already working for 9?

odo

Sorry, but I can't give you a definite answer to that questions. As far as I have seen these plugins still run on R9.5. But we didn't test third party plugins a lot. I think you have to wait for the demo to test these by yourself.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by abstrax: The Renderman connection, the linux version, the 16/32 bit support for BP and ProjectionMan will be available only in the production bundle. The production bundle is thought for high-end studios only and will be available only via a maintenance contract. We still have to gain some experience in that market.

That means currently you can't buy these features as an add-on for "standard" CINEMA 4D. If the demand for them will be high enough, we might think about upgrades for the "standard" CINEMA 4D. The production bundle is still work in progress and that means, I can't say too much (unfortunately).

To your question: The Renderman connection is more or less a beefed up RIB exporter, that allows to export your CINEMA 4D scene into RIB files and to include your own Renderman shader into CINEMA 4D for the RIB export. You can launch the rendering directly from CINEMA 4D or only export the scene.

Doh! Ah well, no problem, thanks for the quick replies.

Jon

08 August 2005
In terms of plugin compatibility, here's a list of the plugs I have used (so far without noticing any problems) in 9.5:

Hairdepartment ME, ReSelector, Lumen lite, AlignAssistant 1.0, Axis Center, CellularShader06, EdgeRotate, FlushSelection, WeightLifter Pro 2, PlaceOnPoints2, ShearRotateScale, TagManager, GToon, MESS.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Olli Wuensch: Hi.
Great to have someone from Maxon answer the questions here.
Congrats to surprising every body (some expected totally different stuff) and coming up with a productivity update.
I am especially impressed that you updated baker, which will change a lot in my working style.
And that the bone tool now works as it shoul ;-)

What i have not really understood yet:
For the "BigStudio-special offer" there are features listed like full 16/32 bit BP support--
this implies that for the normal folks out there BP 2.5 does not fully support that? or is it just clumsily written?

Also it looks like "the ultimate matte painting tool" is not available (not that anybody knows what it does ;-)

Olli

Thanks

Unfortunately that is correct and sory to disappoint you. The production bundle is thought for high-end studios only. But as I said before, it's still work in progress (and still not ready) and we would like to gain some experience with it. We will see how high the demand of these features is. If it's high enough, perhaps we will make it available for everybody. But all that lies in the future and I recommend to wait and see.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by turner: Hello
I'm concerned about the pricing of the upgrades.

I have 9.1 with bodypaint and advanced render.
Do I now have pay to upgrade these 3 ?

mmmmmm..........

I really hope there is a minimal upgrade cost as there are going to be alot of people upset if you start charging 100 for a move from 9.1 to 9.5 not to mention the upgrades costs for BP and AR.

turner

No, you have to pay the upgrade price of R9 to R9.5 incl. AR. That would be 257,769 Euro (excl. VAT) if you would buy from MAXON Germany (depending on your country, where you live). Prices may differ a bit from country to country, because of different exchange rates and taxes.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by abstrax: Thanks

Unfortunately that is correct and sory to disappoint you. The production bundle is thought for high-end studios only. But as I said before, it's still work in progress (and still not ready) and we would like to gain some experience with it. We will see how high the demand of these features is. If it's high enough, perhaps we will make it available for everybody. But all that lies in the future and I recommend to wait and see.

The new matte painting tools will probably be of interest to a broader market than RIB parsing and a Linux version.
If you are showing any of these technologies at Siggraph it would be appreciated if those not attending could get a peak. I am particularly interested in seeing more about Projection Man.

Cheers

Michael

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Erik Heyninck: How does fullscreen mode work with a dual monitor setup? I guess only the first/main monitor is affected (the one with the viewport) ?

The fullscreen modes work on a per screen basis. That means, if you have merged two displays to one screen in your graphics card settings, the fullscreen mode will span over two displays. Otherwise the fullscreen mode will span only over the display/screen where the dialog/manager has been displayed before.

Last edited by abstrax : 08 August 2005 at 10:16 AM. Reason: corrected some typos

Thread Closed share thread