Time to let the CAT out of the bag...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
If the problem is getting some cash while you're developing this thing (you said there's not much demand for C4D riggers), why not make some readymade rigs with your tools in the meantime for common applications and sell them online (maybe on Turbosquid or something).

Could be stuff like:

- Simple biped rig and variations on it. Small cartoon biped, large cartoon biped, adult male rig, adult female rig etc

- quadrupeds. horse, cow, sheep, dog/cat rigs etc

- fish, snakes, reptiles with tails

- spider, cockroach, ant rig and other bugs

- rigs for animating products (milk carton, tree, towel/page etc... think toilet paper commercials, books that need a few turning pages, squishy detergent bottles etc)

There's lots of stuff that can be rigged, and a lot of it falls into similar categories. Maybe you could make some rig-packs that are useful for people working on tight deadlines or something.

With the full stray CAT release, you could make a plugin that automates common rigging tasks - knee and elbow joints, spines, tails, wings, etc. You never know. The stuff you're building might make the difference between Cinema being used for a CA production or not.

12 December 2004
Truth be told the original stray CAT could ( with mininal modification) be transformed into a quadruped. I do have an insect leg that i created as well. I have never considered turbo squid but who knows maybe I will.

Setting up Stray CAT is pretty quick after you have done it a few times ( i am one of my biggest clients for its' usage). It totally cuts down on the time to rig a character. I mean why reinvent the wheel.

It also plays with mocca pretty nicley if you are just doing tails and floppy bellies and such.

The ideas of a reverse foot lock as well as rotate plane solver for legs has been used in maya for quite sometime now. I really wanted what was considered industry standard working in C4D. No reason why it shouldn't be. C4D is as viable a CA option.

now if i can just get maxon to implement a way to access class members of quaternion functions then we will be onto some XSI territory..

Cheers
-D

12 December 2004
Very nice cheers Dan

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for sharing this great and useful work !

12 December 2004
Very Usefull for studying, thanks!

I like the fact that you used only three different selections of Polys for the bones, torso and right and left leg. I´m painting a vertex map for each bone. Here´s the proof, I do not need that most the time.
Why are you using splines to display the boxes for the FK-Spine? You could do that easily with the attributes of the nullobject. Or is there any other hidden advantage in that?

And I really like your setup for the feet, very nice!

I wish I could use that rig on my current character now. Oh my god, setting up myself everything will dure days or weeks for me until I got all the logic behind it. But I have to dig it.

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

tonfarben.com

(¯`·.¸¸.--.¸¸.·`¯)

12 December 2004
Oooh!
I forgot that it only used 3 selections.
I usually use 5, one for each limb and then a single for the torso.

I hope the arm isn't disturbing the torso too much. I really don't like it when the elbow bone grabs the ribs and stuff.

Oh well. I was mostly just hoping to show off the functionality of the system. I am always trying to describe it to people but they really don't know what i am talking about till they get their hands on it.

Yah know, I really have no real good reason for the use of splines other than that is what xsi and maya have used in the past as handles. is a mix between splines and nulls.

Is designed to be animated from the editor and the attribute manager. You really shouldn't have to go into the object hierarchy for anything.

On the feet are a few check boxes for floor detection. they are disabled for now cause i was experimenting on them. the foot roll is disabled too. i thought against it at the last minute.

Stray Cat is pretty easy to set up though.
Is a series of modules (Arms/Shoulders, Legs/Feet, Spine, and Hands). I also have an ik fk system for arms, and an insect leg i came up with.

I am hoping to update one day soon.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Cheers
-Danny

Last edited by Stray : 12 December 2004 at 11:20 AM.

12 December 2004
Originally Posted by rendermania: why not make some readymade rigs with your tools in the meantime for common applications and sell them online (maybe on Turbosquid or something)....With the full stray CAT release, you could make a plugin that automates common rigging tasks - knee and elbow joints, spines, tails, wings, etc. You never know. The stuff you're building might make the difference between Cinema being used for a CA production or not.
I DL'ed the practice rig, and thank you. I was just this week looking at figure rigging (about which I know nothing) and this will help a lot.

It may be more complex than needed for figures in architectural vis, but I'll see where it leads me.

I agree that you should look at capitalizing on your abilities. Cinema is being used widely in arch-vis work, not as much as MAx, but gaining every day. Producing a series of rigged, walk animated figures could be a good product for C users.

Is there any way to integrate your C work with Poser? Poser has so many stock poses and walk sequences, that I wonder about a C file exported to Poser to pose and re-export to C.

Just a thought, and thanks again!

12 December 2004
Hey Ernest,
Thanks for your interest in my rig. Yeah, I am afraid that the rig is a "C4D only' system based on xpresso and ( not much but some ) coffee.

I think that maybe it would be overkill for an architctural guy to use it for their work. But then again maybe you could have a super hero crawling along the buliding or stuff ( just a thought )

As for CA in C4D. we need all the help we can get in the CA area. with XSI and maya breathing down our neck ( who'd have thunk?) vying for what used to be the mid to low end of the spectrum.I guess C4D really did throw a scare into them for them to want to go head to head.

Anyways i hope you guys enjoy the sample rig. If anyone has any cool animations they have done with it i would love to see em.

Cheers
-Danny

Last edited by Stray : 12 December 2004 at 02:34 AM.

12 December 2004
anywhere I can still purchase the straycat plugin ?

web/animation designer

12 December 2004
Hey there sebek27,
Currently i have no web presence for Stray CAT. if you would like to inquire further about obtaining a copy i can be reached by e-mail at d21569@hotmail.com

Maybe we can works something out.

Cheers
-Danny

03 March 2005
I just searched this thread to answer another's question.

It reminded me that I have an image to post.

This is the 'practice' rig in use. I put it in a basic female (a Poser model I reduced and optimized for my purposes in C) them made Adam from Eve (its only fair). At this point I haven't developed all the seperate versions of the UV maps for this crowd, but will. So I painted over the image in Photoshop

The rig is great. Thank you, again STRAY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-peeps3D-CGT.jpg (88.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg S-peeps-painted-crop.jpg (72.1 KB, 70 views)

03 March 2005
Hi, is it still possible to get a copy of this? I try thw link but keep getting "Page not found" or something. if so I would be very grateful (not like my gratitude is worth anything)

thanks
nightfly3d at hotmail dot com

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by nightfly: Hi, is it still possible to get a copy of this? I try thw link but keep getting "Page not found" or something. if so I would be very grateful (not like my gratitude is worth anything)

thanks
nightfly3d at hotmail dot com

Second that request. I am studying any and all rigs so i can customize mine for extremes and automation. Yours sounds quite interesting.

Best
BT

03 March 2005
Hey Gang,
Yeah as far as Stray CAT is concerned I am making some decisions with it very soon and hope to get a version out the public that will be for beginner/intermediate types.

I have just been so busy on stuff that I am not so much developing Stray CAT as I am using it.

I will keep you posted After this next big project I am going to see what I can do.

Cheers
-Danny

Last edited by Stray : 03 March 2005 at 10:28 PM.

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by Stray: Yeah as far as Stray CAT is concerned I am making some decisions with it very soon and hope to get a version out the public that will be for beginner/intermediate types.

As I think I said earlier in this thread, I found the practice rig quite helpful. I appreciate your giving it to us, but want to say that I would be happy to buy a version of it from you.

Thread Closed share thread