Time to let the CAT out of the bag...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Time to let the CAT out of the bag...

Hey Everyone,
I know my presence around here has been spotty as of late. I have been trying to eek out an existance doing freelance work and haven't had that much time to be a presence at the forums here.

I figure with the latest version of c4d out and everyone moving towards using mocca 2 I thought i would post a freebie preactice rig using hard ik in C4D.

I have been a large proponent of pose based hard ik systems and there further development in the c4d community. Seeing as the Maya, LW, and XSI communities all have freebie rigs you can screw with i thought I would post something for our community.

I call him PracticeMan. It is a hard ik based system showing the hierarchical setup that i have developed over the last 2 years. is based on the Stray CAT system. This rig is for practice only and has no setup function. i am only posting it as a study for folks who want to get a better feel for what an industry standard rig would feel like.

It is very light and the solvers are setup to update very quickly in the viewport. It should give most folks with a decent system realtime feedback in the editor ( with the HN object turned off will be much faster).

Well enough babbling,

ladies and gentlemen I present to you,
PracticeMan..

http://www.slouchcorp.com/PManc4d.c4d.zip

Cheers
-Danny

Last edited by Stray : 12 December 2004 at 12:29 PM.

12 December 2004
Hey Stray, thanks I'll check it out.
I've been looking for info on Stray CAT, but I couldn't find any.
Does it still exist?

12 December 2004
Hey Art2,
Stray CAT is kinda on the back burner at the mo. I just came up with a pretty stable ik fk switching system for it. But as it is i am still trying to get more work coming in ( there isn't much money in rigging in c4d these days).

If i can get more work coming in and literally buy myslef more time i will develop it further and work on having a larger presence for it in the community.

Cheers
-D

12 December 2004
Thanks Stray. Messed around with it for a few seconds and it looks very nice. Everything done in coffee eh? A lot of work went into this, thanks very much.

12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Stray: Hey Art2,
Stray CAT is kinda on the back burner at the mo. I just came up with a pretty stable ik fk switching system for it. But as it is i am still trying to get more work coming in ( there isn't much money in rigging in c4d these days).

If i can get more work coming in and literally buy myslef more time i will develop it further and work on having a larger presence for it in the community.

Cheers
-D

Pitty, well hope you'll find the resources to develop it further in the future.
I'll keep an eye on it.

12 December 2004
Thanks a lot, Danny! I know from past experience you put a lot of work into your rigging.

Very generous of you

Always interested in anything rig related...

12 December 2004
Very nice rig. You'll strike gold with this if you make it into a rig-element generator with parametric input:

- leg/foot generator
- spine with shoulders/neck
- arm/hand rig generator
- tail/wing generator

With something like that and basic input params like no of spine links, shoulder width, upper arm/forearm length, etc, people could very quickly snap together a variety of rather nice animation rigs. That would be a plug worth buying imo. best of luck with further development.

12 December 2004
Originally Posted by rendermania: Very nice rig. You'll strike gold with this if you make it into a rig-element generator with parametric input:

- leg/foot generator
- spine with shoulders/neck
- arm/hand rig generator
- tail/wing generator

With something like that and basic input params like no of spine links, shoulder width, upper arm/forearm length, etc, people could very quickly snap together a variety of rather nice animation rigs. That would be a plug worth buying imo. best of luck with further development.

thats pretty much what the orignal StrayCAT was modules for each part that can be scaled and rotated to fit pretty much any config. hopefully in time danny will get the resorces to update it.

mike

12 December 2004
Tnx for sharing bud !!

12 December 2004
thanks! It's always great to get an idea of how things _should_ work. (manuals tend to tell you how to do things, but often not best practices for actually doing them)

Master and Servant Challenge

12 December 2004
hey danny long time no postie...heh heh.
not got r9 yet...but lookin good bud..

Henry Moore

12 December 2004
Thank you very much.
Olli

12 December 2004
Hey All,
Thanks for all the kind words. I originally came up with Stray CAT because i saw how other folks in other packages were animating and wanted to be just like them....

A quick overview of the system:

It has rotate plane solvers in the arms ( if you guys remember i originally posted one of them in the learning to walk thread a while ago.) the orientation of the knees and elbows are controlled by them. They are the red triangles in front of the legs and behind the arms.

The feet are controlled by sliders that are contained on the red boxes . It is a full reverse foot lock (also again you might remember the learning to walk post, is that one but a little better and a whole bunch more stable).There is also a floor collision on it. for those of you that aren't into the floor collision thing just disable the coffee on the feet.

The spine is FK. Basically rotate the various boxes up and down the spine and head to get control over isolated regions along the spine. This is a little something i came up with so that various special moves can be obtained with a minimum of setup , calculations and control.The main hula hoop looking object at the waist is the global control over the upper torso. it can be rotated as well as translated.

the hands are controlled by the little hula hoops at the wrists. they contain boxes with different finger rotation functions.

The main object named "ROOT" contains the entire system and is there if you want to plant the system down anywhere you want.

That should be about it.
If you guys come up with any cool animations let me know.

Cheers
-D

Last edited by Stray : 12 December 2004 at 06:49 PM.

12 December 2004
Thanks for sharing.

12 December 2004
Looks good so far - thanks for sharing!

ed

Thread Closed share thread