For all those wishing for an external renderer that plugs into Cinema....

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
Vray for its GI speed, bucket rendering and deep render controls. Mental Ray or Turtle for more detailed/physically correct stuff. A hardware accelerated solution like ART Pure/Renderdrive or Nvidia Gelato wouldn't hurt either.

What AR lacks (or rather could do with):

- true lens filters and shutterspeed simulation that match the real thing (Maxwell seems to have these)
- physically correct DOF/moblur
- better texture sampling/AA quality (MentalRay)
- photometric lights with gradient falloff control (Brazil)
- memory management for large-scene rendering with highres texturemaps (Vray)
- full-scene texture and vertex baking (Turtle/Sitex BakeAir)
- custom shader programming/editing (Mental Ray/PRman)
- more base shaders (Mental Ray)
- volume/fur shaders for clouds, fur, grass etc
- physical sky (Maxwell)
- gamma, pedestal, color temperature, white balance etc type controls (found on any professional camcorder)

11 November 2004
This Ducati motorbike on the Maxwellrender site has some problem with reflections...almost no fresnel at all...

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by rendermania: Vray for its GI speed, bucket rendering and deep render controls. Mental Ray or Turtle for more detailed/physically correct stuff. A hardware accelerated solution like ART Pure/Renderdrive or Nvidia Gelato wouldn't hurt either.

What AR lacks (or rather could do with):

- true lens filters and shutterspeed simulation that match the real thing (Maxwell seems to have these)
- physically correct DOF/moblur
- better texture sampling/AA quality (MentalRay)
- photometric lights with gradient falloff control (Brazil)
- memory management for large-scene rendering with highres texturemaps (Vray)
- full-scene texture and vertex baking (Turtle/Sitex BakeAir)
- custom shader programming/editing (Mental Ray/PRman)
- more base shaders (Mental Ray)
- volume/fur shaders for clouds, fur, grass etc
- physical sky (Maxwell)
- gamma, pedestal, color temperature, white balance etc type controls (found on any professional camcorder)

mmmm some nice things to have...like the list....
interactive postfx add...i hate the fact you can't adjust them without redoing the render..if its a postfx why not some interactivity...memory management type stuff..instancing improvements/alternatives...bucket rendering etc is definitely on my list...light stuff could be improved i guess even though its damn good atm definitely scope to leave the comp for dead.

Henry Moore

11 November 2004
What is with these guys over at Maxwell!??!!!?

Nothing as to render times, or anything as the alpha version should be shipping now!?!?!?!

The suspense is killing me!

11 November 2004
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on render times right now. Most likely there hasn't been much optimizing in this alpha stage. In my (admittedly limited) experience speed optimizations are amongst the last things to be done.

11 November 2004
Get it working.
Get it working correctly.
Get it working quickly.

11 November 2004
Regarding to the connection between Vray and C4D, here is the reply from Vlado, one of the Vray's developer:

"
You can write an exporter from c4d to the vray scene file format, which is a text file that you can hand down to the standalone version of vray. There will be more info on that soon.

Best regards,
Vlado

"

11 November 2004
I hope that doesn't mean "we'll provide the standalone, and someone can write a Cinema exporter for it". If that's the case, screw Vray, and it and its fast GI can stay on Max as far as I'm concerned. I'm not paying $$$ for Vray if it doesn't include a professionally put together render connector.

Let's keep writing to Maxwell/NL to ensure they support Cinema well - lots of archviz people here, better ease of use than Max by far, so slow or fast, Cinema could very well be an excellent host for their renderer. We've got the right modeling and texturing tools to take advantage of Maxwell, that's for sure.

Another potential company to contact with support requests may be Illuminate Labs I think. Turtle is much faster than MentalRay (in the GI department especially), its designed to be a high quality production renderer, and these guys are on Maya only at the moment. Maybe we should send in requests for Cinema support before they bother to port to Max. Don't think Max needs any more render engines. They are swimming in them already.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by rendermania: I hope that doesn't mean "we'll provide the standalone, and someone can write a Cinema exporter for it". If that's the case, screw Vray, and it and its fast GI can stay on Max as far as I'm concerned. I'm not paying $$$ for Vray if it doesn't include a professionally put together render connector.

i get the feeling opening up c4d sdk is only part of the problem...needs some commitment on the part of the render devs with "both sides saying sure you do it". ultimately if there is a need and commercial value in doing it then it will get done by maxon or the render devs!
i'm not really interested in the politics of it all i'm more interested in the company that commits itself to potential users and develops a stable and comprehensive bridge to c4d whether thats maxon or the render dev is less my concern...just hope to see something worth having in the future.

Henry Moore

11 November 2004
The quality of the connection is hugely important, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done by the render engine developer or Maxon. I imagine there's at least one Third Party developer capable of tackling the job.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by michaeli: Regarding to the connection between Vray and C4D, here is the reply from Vlado, one of the Vray's developer:

"
You can write an exporter from c4d to the vray scene file format, which is a text file that you can hand down to the standalone version of vray. There will be more info on that soon.

Best regards,
Vlado

"

Have they looked at what the R9 SDK offers for rendering, thats about all they could do in pre R9, but now they definitely could do a better bridge rather then simple an IO

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by AdamT: The quality of the connection is hugely important, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done by the render engine developer or Maxon. I imagine there's at least one Third Party developer capable of tackling the job.

i never really considered this as an option to be honest...but the quality of there work makes me change my mind to be honest and might actually be a viable route and could be quite commercially lucrative if done well...they would have to be sure that once they start developing the bridge that one of the original parties doesn't jump in on the action once they realise they missed the boat in financial terms. ...other than that protection it sounds like a good idea..hint hint.

Henry Moore

11 November 2004
Personnally i think Maxwell renderer would be an excellent money maker for whoever develops it simply because it would be cinema's solution to how mental ray is integrated other apps. Even though AR is very good it seems like the Maxwell renderer is much more physically acurate, something AR seems to be lacking a little. This seems like it would be lucrative for highend commercials and architectural renderings. I just wish next limit would open the render nodes comparible to net render's. Having 3 free with the basic package then unlimited for a very cheap price. Maxwell seems like its going to need at least more than two computers to get good speeds out of it.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Kaiskai: Have they looked at what the R9 SDK offers for rendering, thats about all they could do in pre R9, but now they definitely could do a better bridge rather then simple an IO

The origin thread:
http://www.chaoticdimension.com/for...opic.php?t=8949

11 November 2004
saw this link in another thread but makes interesting reading..vray/brazil look very nice feature wise at least...but its good to see side by side where each has advantages and disadvantages for those who want it all...heh heh.
http://www.maxarea.com/modules.php?...order=1&thold=0

Henry Moore

Thread Closed share thread