For all those wishing for an external renderer that plugs into Cinema....

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
For all those wishing for an external renderer that plugs into Cinema....

Looks like your wish was just granted.... it says cinema compatibility is coming so thatīs pretty cool.
looks pretty good on paper, hope to see some reviews soon.

PS I hope this isnīt a repost... I did a quick search of the forum for maxwell and next limit but didnīt get any related hits.

Last edited by jorgevaldes : 10 October 2004 at 07:23 AM.

10 October 2004
there are some nice images in their gallery. it should be interesting to see what happens.

10 October 2004
Cool

Great googely moogely. I hope they add some typical rendertime-vs-quality results, with system specs before the preorder period ends. I would need to know what to expect, since the other physically-accurate renderers currently available require extremely long periods of time to produce even reasonably decent results. And people think Cinema's/other apps' GI is slow...

Toxic

WinOSI

A 40-hour render for a simple scene, ouch. Although I would hope that Maxwell will be at least somewhat more efficient, since it is a commercial product.

10 October 2004
Its render result seems very promising, but can't find any clue about its speed.

10 October 2004
M'yeah... fascinating results, but as pointed out above - if it comes with the usual rendertime requirements as other forward raytracers, it's hard to see how you would actually want to use it in a production situation.... On the other hand, if they've actually managed to optimise the technology - jeez, then this will certainly be something to add to your toolbox

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

10 October 2004
sound promising to me.
just waiting to know the rendertimes

10 October 2004
Rendertimes aren't important at all in an alpha stage, there's a lot to be optimized. Just remember the alpha versions of Brazil, they were ultraslow.

10 October 2004
If you read the tech specs for rendering it says that you just enter the render time and it will render the scene based on that time. Not sure what limits would be imposed though.

10 October 2004
Very cool. This is by Nextlimit--the company that makes Real Flow--correct?

10 October 2004
Looks like one to watch. I wonder if the preorder price includes the standalone?

10 October 2004
whooo,

forget vray, at least if that thing will have fast rendertimes.
looks very cool, i personally think it wood be very good for the cinema platform to have multiple renderengines to choose.

well i bookmarked this page, thanks for the link.

nice weekend

stefan
lllab

10 October 2004
From the description on the page, this isn't a standard renderengine so much as a physically accurate light, material and camera behavior simulator. In other words its not designed to cut corners on accuracy and speed rendering up with tricks like photon or illumination maps, but rather an accurate mathematical simulation of real world light and material behavior, just as RealFlow simulates liquid behavior with a great degree of physical accuracy if you crank up all the settings. I wouldn't expect this renderer to fly in terms of fast per frame rendertimes, but the delivered imagery should look very accurate if its given sufficient rendertime and CPU power, sort of like Lightscape renders.

[Edit] Looks like the Alpha is a renderplugin for Max 6 or Maya, and C4D will get supported via a connector plugin to the standalone renderer along with other popular apps. I've emailed them asking about when the C4D connector might arrive, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be one of the first to be completed. I wonder if that connector will be available before it hits final 1.0 release in June '05.

Last edited by rendermania : 10 October 2004 at 03:21 PM.

10 October 2004
The reason i think we shouldnt expect fast render times is that
this is a simulation software with a real world camera model (+ a bounch of other stuff),
and its made by Nextlimit the makers of RealFlow/RealWave.
RF/RW are also sim.apps and they are not fast :-)
Were talking 10 to 30 hour sims just to pour water into a glass over 200 frames :-)
The result is of course superb.

But the RF/RW can make cool stuff even on lower settings,
unless your after a realworld sims of course :-)
So the question is how does it look on lower settings and can we live
with the artifacts :-)

Regards
Bonsak

10 October 2004
This is great news, forget the wait, it sounds and looks very promising.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by InTheCity: This is great news, forget the wait, it sounds and looks very promising.

I am with you on this if it is available for mac for $395 I dont think it will hurt my account to much as apposed to $995 my order is in!

Thread Closed share thread