vray like renders ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
vray like renders ?

i noticed many great car renders are done with Max and rendered in Vray. HEre is a good example:
http://www.ribin.net/eng/gallery/2003/NIVA/2.htm

how can you achieve this in cinema 4d ? is it basically good materials, good light setup and good use of hdr ? any tips on lighting car scenes in c4d would help

07 July 2004
you pretty much said it. just talent, skill and persistance. cinema render engine is just as capable of producing this stuff, it's down to the users. also don't forget post work.

07 July 2004
one quick one... max uses chamfer what is the c4d equivalent ? is there a chamfer plugin for c4d ? thx

07 July 2004
it's a case of using edge bevel multiple times to create a smooth chamfer in cinema currently i'm afraid, though you could also use hypernurbs edge weighting provided you've set up your objects mesh well enough. the only full curved chamfer command in cinema tht i know of is the one for splines.

07 July 2004
hopeully v9 will have chamfer and also cap command like in max will come in handy; i assume modo will have all these tools

07 July 2004
don't assume that it can't be done.
http://www.the3ddesigner.de/cgi-bin...lacreme.pl?date

Henry Moore

07 July 2004
Funny thing is that this thread reminds me of one I saw I while back in the Maya forum. The guy was asking how he could get C4D quality renderings out of Mental Ray . Funny how people assume that the renderer does all the work...I wish

07 July 2004
i never said I assume the render can't be done, read my post again
I still wanted to know if there is a cap command so I build something and now I need to cap it like in Max ?

07 July 2004
use the make polygon tool.or even the bridge tool to close the hole. alternative routes that you could try are also to convert the edge of teh hole to a spline and use the extrude nurbs obejct to make a cap (then make that editable and connect to your other geometry).

07 July 2004
As a hardcore user of C4D i'm very sorry to say that vray produces much better results than C4D renderer...
After endless tests i had to admit it and i'm using vray for all my architectural interiors now.
You won't find anyone who hates 3dsmax more than me, but the final results made me go for it.
I can post an example of a room i was working on. I have some images made in vray, maybe some of you would like to try to achieve the same results in C4D, as i did without success...

07 July 2004
hey twilight
I would like to see that and give it a go.I have just about every 3d program
(3ds,maya,lightwave,cinema 4d)Ill try and reproduce the results post the pic

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by twilight: As a hardcore user of C4D i'm very sorry to say that vray produces much better results than C4D renderer...
After endless tests i had to admit it and i'm using vray for all my architectural interiors now.
You won't find anyone who hates 3dsmax more than me, but the final results made me go for it.
I can post an example of a room i was working on. I have some images made in vray, maybe some of you would like to try to achieve the same results in C4D, as i did without success...

try using an unblurred HDRI in vray, and try the same thing in C4D, then come back and tell me about your experience However i'll be happy to try your scene, post it as soon as possible!

07 July 2004
we did this before...not that i can remember the conclusions...but can't remember it not being possible.
see old threads.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=107422

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=134983

not convinced its not possible...but then i don't know a great deal about vray so its always up for debate i recon.

Henry Moore

07 July 2004
Debates like this will always happen.Some people take it to far as thinking that others are crapping on cinema.I love to compare i think cinema can do renders like vray but sometimes its just a little more work.Comparing and debating is good how do you think things change.Bring on the test

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by ThirdEye: try using an unblurred HDRI in vray, and try the same thing in C4D, then come back and tell me about your experience However i'll be happy to try your scene, post it as soon as possible!

Don't get me wrong. I still use C4D for 80% of all my work. Where i think vray is better than C4D is in architectural interiors (where i don't use hdri). Somehow the radiosity "feel" of vray looks better than C4D...

Here's an image of the interior i'm talking about (keep in mind this is my first vray experience):

And here's the C4D scene. Some things have changed, but it's similar enough for this purpose:

http://www.streetdogstudio.com/temp/room.zip

There are no lights on the C4D file, so feel free to try any approach.
The vray file has a very simple lighting setup:
One direct light to simulate the sun (same as c4d's parallel spot)
One vray light in each window acting as portals. Portals are supposed to "drag" the light inside the room, and that's pretty much what they do. The nearest thing to a portal in C4D is an area light, but it won't "drag" light inside the room...

The rendering times in vray can vary a lot depending on the settings. For the test images i was getting times under 10 minutes. The final image above took about 1 hour to render at 800x600 but it took about 26 hours to render at 1600x1200 with the appropriate settings for that resolution.

Notice that there are very few artifacts, even with such a simple light setup. Also notice the overall atmosphere, it looks like you can feel the light inside the room.
One thing that puzzled me: vray darkens the corners while C4D lightens them. I never understood why, but i like dark corners, it somehow looks more real.

Final note:
I'm not a master at C4D or Vray and I'm not jumping from software to software every week, but i have to keep in mind that my clients don't care if i work with software A, B or Z... they care about the final results, and right now i'm getting better results with vray than i was getting with C4D.
Also, most of my rival companies are using vray and they are getting better results than mine... i can't keep that up.
Maybe it's just me, maybe i'm doing it wrong in C4D. That's why i'm sharing the scene with you guys. I hope you get better results than me because i'd love to keep using C4D.

Sorry for the portuguese names on the objects and materials, i never thought this would go public.
Good luck and feel free to keep all the meshes and textures.

Thread Closed share thread