The Dollar Value of R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Quote: In R20, you are looking at something that probably 1 coder put together in 2 months while implementing VDBs generally.

If I said the earth has a diameter of 100 miles, both of our statements would be inaccurate to roughly the same degree. Making comparisons like the game engine, you need to keep in mind that these can be made to whatever featureset the game designer wants with whatever limitations they deem worthy. Nor do they have to slot their tech into an existing codebase which works with a multitude of other technology. Volumes integrates with mograph, splines, polygons, particles, hair, physics and fields

Quote: Also consider that just about everything else in R20 - like the node based shading - has arrived many, many years later than it should have.

I have trouble with this argument which I've seen a few times. If I have a 10 year old car, but I wanted a new car 5 years ago, how does that detract from me obtaining a brand new 2018 up to date model today? Implying that they shouldn't get credit for making a brand new nodal system because you wanted it sooner seems a bit petty.

Quote: The only really expensive thing in R20 is the CAD importer. And that probably came about as a result of Nemetschek - a multi-billion dollar CAD company - licensing a 3rd party CAD file import library across multiple of its products

Again. Why are you going out of your way to find a reason to be unhappy? Who gives a toss what the back end licencing deal was, you have a solid set of new tools, what difference does it make where the code came from or what other products the code will be shared across?
Quote: Also, Maxon has once again made the mistake of spreading itself thin across many general-purpose features.
So C4D stays stuck in "General-purpose everyday 3D" land once again. Its been stuck there for over 1 decade now.

…Wut?

C4D markets itself and has always been a general purpose everyday 3D app. How and why are you trying to twist "C4D stays stuck in General-purpose everyday 3D land once again" into an insult when that is literally the point of the software? When a C4D update concentrates too much on one specific area like mograph, the miserable gits come out to moan how their specific area wasn't touched on. Now R20 is announced and it has a host of cool features for modelling, animating and texturing so it appeals to everyone, that is now somehow a mark against it too?

I'll let you into a secret. R21 comes with a solid gold 3D space mouse, a usb-c quantum cpu with infinite processing power and a blonde super model to keep you company. I look forward to hearing how the mouse is too shiny, the cpu makes a faint buzzing noise when you hold your ear against it and that you wanted a red-head instead.

1 Week Ago
Cool features for texturing?

6 Days Ago
I think he meant materials, as in nodal material/shading/texturing

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: Cool features for texturing?

The updated texturing tool, the entire fields system for controlling material vertex maps, and you know, that small little nodes feature that one guy knocked up in his lunch hour.

6 Days Ago
Mash, I would very much like to be on the beta testing team for R21, specifically the blonde supermodel. I feel I am ably positioned to put her through her paces, technically speaking. Where do I sign up?

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Mash, I would very much like to be on the beta testing team for R21, specifically the blonde supermodel. I feel I am ably positioned to put her through her paces, technically speaking. Where do I sign up?

Who said anything about the blonde model being a 'her' ?

6 Days Ago
Hey, I pay my MSA. It's a bloody her, all right?

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Mash, I would very much like to be on the beta testing team for R21, specifically the blonde supermodel. I feel I am ably positioned to put her through her paces, technically speaking. Where do I sign up?
I'll be blonde for beta team! Where to sign?)

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by imashination: The updated texturing tool, the entire fields system for controlling material vertex maps, and you know, that small little nodes feature that one guy knocked up in his lunch hour.
Must be why there is a topic about "outsourcing" texturing...  Anyway he is generally  right, Maxon is playing catch up in several areas, even CAD import contrary to my initial believe -not driving the development.
I feel they are spending  too many resources with rendering system.  For example Autodesk - they have Arnold they can develop more because they sell to third party software which gives more income - Maxon has to manage 2 render systems plus a new nodal system. Is this nodal system they build for shaders useful for other proposes for example for future xpresso, dynamics system, scene management, composition?
They need  probably to make Prorender the render engine of all Nemetschekk products at least, that way those products can also allocate resources to it.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: Must be why there is a topic about "outsourcing" texturing...  Anyway he is generally  right, Maxon is playing catch up in several areas, even CAD import contrary to my initial believe -not driving the development.
I feel they are spending  too many resources with rendering system.  For example Autodesk - they have Arnold they can develop more because they sell to third party software which gives more income - Maxon has to manage 2 render systems plus a new nodal system. Is this nodal system they build for shaders useful for other proposes for example for future xpresso, dynamics system, scene management, composition?
They need  probably to make Prorender the render engine of all Nemetschekk products at least, that way those products can also allocate resources to it.
There is a thread about ‘out-sourcing’ UVing. Texture and material system looks strong for the most part. 

UV’s and character animation are the two areas where c4d is behind. Mograph tools, motion tracking lead the pack. Parametric modeling workflow probably also leads the pack.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: There is a thread about ‘out-sourcing’ UVing. Texture and material system looks strong for the most part. 

UV’s and character animation are the two areas where c4d is behind. Mograph tools, motion tracking lead the pack. Parametric modeling workflow probably also leads the pack.

I gotta agree with your statement but also dish out my thoughts for the parametric modeling part  I think modeling would be a ton better if we'd get something akin to an "edit poly" modifier / generator (the correction deformer gets close but lacks the ability to generate points, edges or polygons in general). In that case we'd really get some amazing level of parametric modeling.

Before you say anything, yeah, that idea is taken directly from 3ds Max. What is great about it is that even if you want to go back and change something a few "layers" back you can totally do that. Obviously sometimes the topology will go crazy if you make substantial changes but for me it is really usable... Especially if you are doing revisions on your model.

That and of course the ability for the viewport to handle many deformers / generators :P

5 Days Ago
wrong thread...

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by nejck: I gotta agree with your statement but also dish out my thoughts for the parametric modeling part  I think modeling would be a ton better if we'd get something akin to an "edit poly" modifier / generator (the correction deformer gets close but lacks the ability to generate points, edges or polygons in general). In that case we'd really get some amazing level of parametric modeling.

Before you say anything, yeah, that idea is taken directly from 3ds Max. What is great about it is that even if you want to go back and change something a few "layers" back you can totally do that. Obviously sometimes the topology will go crazy if you make substantial changes but for me it is really usable... Especially if you are doing revisions on your model.

That and of course the ability for the viewport to handle many deformers / generators :P

Good thoughts.

C4d was already strong IMO with it’s parametric modeling paradigm. I suspect it’s going to jump to a whole new level with how Volumes integrates into that. It’s one reason I think Volumes is at least a $500 addition.

I do want to see how performance goes with multiple volumes in a scene.

5 Days Ago
I had similar thoughts....  fields + deformers. It does make me wonder if this is another push  in the direction of a fully parametric modelling approach - Houdini style.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: There is a thread about ‘out-sourcing’ UVing. Texture and material system looks strong for the most part. 

What is texture work without UV's?

Interesting i was to make a post precisely saying that the distinguishing features of C4D are Mograph and matchmoving/tracking (even if Blender has Matchmoving like a person in other forum reminded me).

Parametric will only truly arrive when you can define what are the fillet(bevel) values and its continuity otherwise it is just an artistic feel : not serious. Also when you have a chair legs and when you push the seat up or down the legs grow up or diminish accordingly. That is also what is parametric, since year 2000 or less available in MCAD software like Solidworks.

reply share thread