The Dollar Value of R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
I can only go on demo videos and still images I see. Looks quite good and usable to me (sexy too). Of course not CAD caliber, but looks very good for video and most print resolutions. Obviously the meshes will be heavier w/this workflow. Re-topo might occasionally be needed.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 08:56 PM.

1 Week Ago
From what I can see the c4d version looks like it allows for much more control and detail. Looking forward to trying it out.

That said, (and no offense to whoever built the models) it looks like there is some weird chunky topology on the "swoosh" cutouts.

1 Week Ago
here two examples. meshed with supervoxels. the limitation is always to create sharp edges. you have to decrease the voxelsize a lot. and it looks as if the R20-VDB-Mesher has the same problem. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: From what I can see the c4d version looks like it allows for much more control and detail. Looking forward to trying it out.

That said, (and no offense to whoever built the models) it looks like there is some weird chunky topology on the "swoosh" cutouts.

The proof will be in the pudding. How it handles detail will determine if it is useful in many projects...or just in some.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by useruser: here two examples. meshed with supervoxels. the limitation is always to create sharp edges. you have to decrease the voxelsize a lot. and it looks as if the R20-VDB-Mesher has the same problem. 
Those are nice samples from SuperVoxels. Better than I assumed. :-)

1 Week Ago
A trend we’ve discussed before...intensifies. The combination of 3d scanning + voxel based work flows will be changing how a lot of folks work in 3d. Traditional quad modeling will be reduced to the minority of work.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 09:34 PM.

1 Week Ago
Here's a video some might have missed:

1 Week Ago
The more I see of the volume modelling, the more I think it'll be my number one favourite new tool. It seems easy to get nice results and it works well with the sculpting tools, fields, MoGraph and lots of other features too. I think I can happily spend too many hours noodling away with it.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Any idea on an approximate dollar value for those import/handling features? I was making a crude estimate.

If the CAD import is implemented well, this single feature is worth the whole years subscription price for Studio. Easily.I spend many hours per project dealing with CAD conversion and import issues, often requiring more than one trip to an external program (Fusion 360 for converting dodgy STEP files into SAT and then MOI 3D for meshing). For my current project, being able to import a STEP file directly and get good meshing within C4D would have paid for the entire upgrade in one go. 

1 Week Ago
volume modelling will be useful for a lot of stuff, but for anything that requires really precise smooth curves you'd have to crank up the voxel and mesh resolutions so high that it doesn't make sense anymore. the bottles are a really good example where it just doesn't work that well, the cookies on the other hand are an example where this technique really shines. UVs are another issue in cases you need them. 

i'm looking forward to playing with this feature though, it has a lot of potential, but more for crazy organic mograph stuff, cartoony fluid effects, food models that even benefit from the surface imperfections you inevitably get and so on... 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Here's a video some might have missed:

This looks great. The xp version works somewhat the same way, but c4ds's looks like theres much better control.
I havent really had a chance to watch all the  videos yet. I guess I should get on that.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by travismetcalf: If the CAD import is implemented well, this single feature is worth the whole years subscription price for Studio. Easily.I spend many hours per project dealing with CAD conversion and import issues, often requiring more than one trip to an external program (Fusion 360 for converting dodgy STEP files into SAT and then MOI 3D for meshing). For my current project, being able to import a STEP file directly and get good meshing within C4D would have paid for the entire upgrade in one go. 
exactly my thoughts. IF the cad importer really works that well my msa already paid for itself. i'm using MOI for conversion as well, and i get very good results out of it, but it just struggles with huge step files and i often have to split up the step files into several pieces to be able to open and convert it with MOI... this could potentially save a lot of time.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: exactly my thoughts. IF the cad importer really works that well my msa already paid for itself. i'm using MOI for conversion as well, and i get very good results out of it, but it just struggles with huge step files and i often have to split up the step files into several pieces to be able to open and convert it with MOI... this could potentially save a lot of time.

Yes! MOI is great but on really heavy stuff it can choke. I get frequent Out of Memory errors when converting which are (in my experience) most often caused buy its inability to parse seen surface data. In those cases i need to split the model, or do a round trip to Fusion and re-export to SAT which sometimes can solve the problem. 

I would save SO much time if I could import directly into C4D with good control over meshing. Especially if i can get it to generate nice quad meshes. Long triangle strips can cause all kinds of problems with some 3rd Party render engines.   

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by nejck: I think 3ds Max has Solidworks since 2016 and Catia since... Well I don't really know when. My subscription is out right now so I can't check. I probably won't resubscribe unless absolutely necessary. 

As far as CAD imports go in general, I usually had a lot more success importing CAD files into 3ds Max. C4D would either not be able to read the file properly or you'd get a mess of a file. Granted, at times it worked fine.

Anyhow, I am really liking R20 and the new CAD importer )

Please do correct me if I am wrong about anything though 

You are correct i verified current 3DsMax version export import and they have already Solidworks, Catia, JT. So this only makes an impact in DCC if Maxon C4D import is much better than Autodesk's.

1 Week Ago
I didn't realize what this thread was until I popped in here. Ice you underestimated the cost / value of the CAD translator. A good translator for C4D is actually about $400. That said, the 3rd party translator *does* have more features / granularity of control than the new importer, but it's also Windows only and not as easy to use as a native importer. So those things offset a little bit. 

In summation I'd say the value is definitely looking like it's there for this release.

reply share thread