The Dollar Value of R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
multi instances alone i would say  is worth 500.-!

(that said such a calculation you try is not really telling anything in end, further more as yo not used v20 yet.it fully depends on the users and type of work)
http://rhino.io

1 Week Ago
Dollar value can be more than the sum of its parts. It can even make C4D as a pipeline tool.
If import works with just small issues which is not trivial it can change the visualization industry, but they need a Prorender that works fast too if they want to make it the 3D finish tool.

tracker(integration with image/video) ---- Prorender
                             |
CAD import----------------- Prorender
           |                |
           |          retopology ----simplified assets for movies/video ---- Prorender
           |                                                                                                 |
         export to other DCC                                                           export to other DCC

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: Dollar value can be more than the sum of its parts. It can even make C4D as a pipeline tool.
If import works with just small issues which is not trivial it can change the visualization industry, but they need a Prorender that works fast too if they want to make it the 3D finish tool.

tracker(integration with image/video) ---- Prorender
                             |
CAD import----------------- Prorender
           |                |
           |          retopology ----simplified assets for movies/video ---- Prorender
           |                                                                                                 |
         export to other DCC                                                           export to other DCC

Not sure if I understand you correctly but I do think we need to point out that some other DCC apps have had "non-destructive" CAD imports for years now. At least for the major formats that is.

That being said, R20 CAD importer looks to work really well with the rest of C4D. Really liking it!!

As for the value of R20, I think it really depends on a person. The CAD importer in R20 will save me like 1500$ a year personally.

1 Week Ago
if you go through your heavy files and open them consecutively with previous versions of cinema, i think you will notice significant imporvement in viewport performance. I know i do. 

sometimes i have to hop back to an older version for some reason, and there is definite improvement. They just don't point it out because its not every scene, and its hard to pinpoint these places. but it definitely improves with each release. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by nejck: Not sure if I understand you correctly but I do think we need to point out that some other DCC apps have had "non-destructive" CAD imports for years now. At least for the major formats that is.

That being said, R20 CAD importer looks to work really well with the rest of C4D. Really liking it!!

As for the value of R20, I think it really depends on a person. The CAD importer in R20 will save me like 1500$ a year personally.

I am not aware of native import of Solidworks, Catia, JT  files in either Maya or  Max.

1 Week Ago
"Volumes elivers incredible power and a ridiculously useful new modeling paradigm. This one is pretty easy to price as there is a clear comparison with MeshFusion which came out a few years ago for Modo. MeshFusion was sold separately for $400 before theFoundry purchased it and folded it into the product. Since I purchased it and used it I believe I can say confidently that modeling w/R20’s Volumes will be better. And volumes works with more than just geometry—also working with particles, etc. Plus it supports fields in crazy cool operations and there are filters to dilate/erode etc. It is no exaggeration to say that this feature could save an artist 20, 50, perhaps 200 hours over the course of a year. Some of the most daunting modeling challenges will become child’s play. Plus whole new artistic styles are possible with it that simply weren’t before.
Ala Carte Price: $500
"

openVDBs (Volumes)  for C4D ( since 2012) : 
http://www.remotion4d.net/plugins_g...gin=SuperVoxels
 a la carte price: 59 Euro

Last edited by useruser : 1 Week Ago at 07:36 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: I am not aware of native import of Solidworks, Catia, JT  files in either Maya or  Max.

I think 3ds Max has Solidworks since 2016 and Catia since... Well I don't really know when. My subscription is out right now so I can't check. I probably won't resubscribe unless absolutely necessary. 

As far as CAD imports go in general, I usually had a lot more success importing CAD files into 3ds Max. C4D would either not be able to read the file properly or you'd get a mess of a file. Granted, at times it worked fine.

Anyhow, I am really liking R20 and the new CAD importer )

Please do correct me if I am wrong about anything though 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by useruser: "Volumes elivers incredible power and a ridiculously useful new modeling paradigm. This one is pretty easy to price as there is a clear comparison with MeshFusion which came out a few years ago for Modo. MeshFusion was sold separately for $400 before theFoundry purchased it and folded it into the product. Since I purchased it and used it I believe I can say confidently that modeling w/R20’s Volumes will be better. And volumes works with more than just geometry—also working with particles, etc. Plus it supports fields in crazy cool operations and there are filters to dilate/erode etc. It is no exaggeration to say that this feature could save an artist 20, 50, perhaps 200 hours over the course of a year. Some of the most daunting modeling challenges will become child’s play. Plus whole new artistic styles are possible with it that simply weren’t before.
Ala Carte Price: $500
"

openVDBs (Volumes)  for C4D ( since 2012) : 
http://www.remotion4d.net/plugins_g...gin=SuperVoxels
 a la carte price: 59 Euro
That plugin is a toy to achieve a mine-craft look. It could never be used for modeling. 

It’s not remotely close to Volumes.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 07:52 PM.

1 Week Ago
Not sure if anyone  was aware, but xparticles 4 has has had OpenVDB included as well. We've used it quite a bit.
Not sure if c4d's version has more features or vice versa but seems to work the same way.

1 Week Ago
icecaveman@
sorry but this sounds as if you never used or tested this plugin. 
 i used this plugin  for a couple of commercial projects, and it looks as if the SuperVoxel-Mesher is  a lot more sophisticated (featurewise) in comparsion to the maxon-version. but we will see

Last edited by useruser : 1 Week Ago at 06:47 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Not sure if anyone  was aware, but xparticles 4 has has had OpenVDB included as well. We've used it quite a bit.
Not sure if c4d's version has more features or vice versa but seems to work the same way.

Yes XP does have OpenVDB. Again...not the same.

Volumes in c4d is an entirely new modeling paradigm with a new set of modeling tools. Volumes is akin to ZBrush and 3DCoat, but permits hybrid work-flows that integrates parametric objects, sculpting, splines and fields.

It’s also a lot like MeshFusion, which was 400$...but goes way beyond because it can integrate splines and fields. Boole heaven.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzfhbW2hNY

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 08:23 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Yes XP does have OpenVDB. Again...not the same.

Volumes in c4d is an entirely new modeling paradigm with a new set of modeling tools. Volumes is a bit like modeling in ZBrush and 3DCoat, but permits hybrid work-flows that integrates parametric objects, sculpting, splines and fields.

It’s a lot like MeshFusion
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzfhbW2hNY

Like this?
You can  merge, subtract, use splines,, change  density and bevel etc.
I havent delved too deeply into c4ds openvdb tool, but at first glance I assumed it was the same thing.

1 Week Ago
And a tighter setting::
(edit--sorry for the big pics!)

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Like this?
You can  merge, subtract, use splines,, change  density and bevel etc.
I havent delved too deeply into c4ds openvdb tool, but at first glance I assumed it was the same thing.

The resulting topology w/xp might be usable for irregular organic shapes but wouldn’t hold up for product design, industrial electronic products, etc.

That’s my view. What’s your opinion after using XP’s openVDB?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: The resulting topology w/xp might be usable for irregular organic shapes but wouldn’t hold up for product design, industrial electronic products, etc.

That’s my view. What’s your opinion after using XP’s openVDB?

Does c4ds R20 openvdb generate topology that is any different?
If so that would be nice. But my understanding is you wouldnt be using ovdb for any kind of industrial cad level manufacturing work.
As I mentioned you can increase the detail and rounding  in  the xpOpenvdb mesher for greater detail.

My opinion? Its OK. its worked out well for a few challenging  organic animation challenges we had. its faster and more accurate than the xpSkinner. But I find its not super controllable. I am wondering how R20's version compares. From what you are saying, its much better.

reply share thread