UV Edit companion options for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
I LOVE 3D COAT!

even made a tutorial about it:†http://ace5studios.com/uv-unwrap/

1 Week Ago
Rizom UV here too. Never used 3D-Coat so may well be amazing, but UVing is an absolute doddle in Rizom - it's actually fun. Seems like 3D-Coat might be overkill if all you use/need are its UV tools. Anyway, good that we have plenty of choice.

1 Week Ago
I use 3d Coat, but still prefer to do my UV unwrapping in Blender together with the Textools add-on.
http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/index.html

Max users may be aware of its older sibling:
http://renderhjs.net/textools/3dsMax.html

It makes it very efficient to do UV unwrapping in Blender, and for other texturing tasks. It's fast and effective. I tried 3d Coat for this task, but for me personally it is too cumbersome. I mostly do game related low-poly work, and it's great for that.

Textools include all these nice little helper tools, which make UV mapping and baking in Blender quite nice and easy. Of course, if you're not accustomed to Blender's GUI, you're probably better off getting a dedicated UV tool like Rizom.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Rizom UV here too. Never used 3D-Coat so may well be amazing, but UVing is an absolute doddle in Rizom - it's actually fun. Seems like 3D-Coat might be overkill if all you use/need are its UV tools. Anyway, good that we have plenty of choice.
I got curious, and visited their website, and discovered they have a 30-day free trial. Going to check it out this weekend, and see if Rizom offers anything that would dramatically increase my efficiency.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: I got curious, and visited their website, and discovered they have a 30-day free trial. Going to check it out this weekend, and see if Rizom offers anything that would dramatically increase my efficiency.
Last time I looked they also had a rent to own. and perpetually its way cheaper than when I got mine when it was Unfold3d.† I cant imagine that it would not increase your efficiency when it takes a task most people hate and actually makes it a fun.† The second that you unfold your get no overlapping seams, it irons out most if not all distortion, makes pipe strips with ease, and if you choose overlaps the same geometry into a single space such as finger nails.† It handles a huge polycount.† As with most software if you have a dedicated tool for one job it tends to be very good at it.† I havent used 3D coat but its worth checking out but its alot of money for one function, and cant imagine it will match the options you get with Rizom.

Dan

1 Week Ago
I am using the plugin
UVvonc
a lot together with the normal bodypaint possibilities .
and the incredibly† useful atlassing† plugin
"UV to object". (works with R19 btw. I just hope the author considers an update for R20, I would be willing to pay).

Together† I think I can unwrap and atlas quiete effeciently with these.
For organic unwrapping I also often go to Zbrush for a headstart, then optimize† with UVvonc. (the brush relax feature is great).

RizomUV looks sweet btw. Did not know it until this thread and will evaluate it. Looks pretty much perfect, like my wet UV dream.

Last edited by wuensch : 1 Week Ago at 09:36 AM.

1 Week Ago
Rizom UV is a complete UV unwrapping solution, and as such can be a bit complicated at first. It could also do with some better explanations of why and when why to use certain features Ė a few more tutorial videos wouldn't go amiss. I don't think I touch 80% of its toolset, but the ability to simply throw in an object and usually get a useable UV map with literally a handful of clicks is amazing., Of course if you need more control then it has that too Ė you'll just need to dig a bit deeper into its toolset. I never really touched UV maps before I got this; now I do them for fun!

1 Week Ago
I got Rizom UV through work and have to admit, it is freakin' confusing. Sadly the youtube tutorials are slightly outdated and don't correlate with to the current UI.

If I use a couple of the automated selection wizards, tap that cut selection button, I can occasionally get good results. But there's often weird doubled over polys in the map that I have to select in C4D and unwrap there. Later returning to Rizom to pack those more closely.

Many of my models get retopo in ZBrush, which notoriously creates spiral loops. So following the 'select a loop' workflow in the tuts, is difficult.

1 Week Ago
This thread really has me interested in Rizom now! Can any users here comment on 3D Coatís sculpting vs C4d sculpting vs zBrush? Sorry itís a bit off-topic but sculpting features in 3D Coat seem to be the main difference between it and Rizom, both in features and price.†

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: This thread really has me interested in Rizom now! Can any users here comment on 3D Coatís sculpting vs C4d sculpting vs zBrush? Sorry itís a bit off-topic but sculpting features in 3D Coat seem to be the main difference between it and Rizom, both in features and price.†
Zbrush is a pure art in sculpting capabilities right after you pass through a bit wild interface. C4D have all the basic sculpting stuff you can have in multi-purpose software and it works as a nice addition to modelling. I think C4D sculpting is very similar to Blender's sculpting (but without dynamic tesseltion). 3DCoat is great for prototyping, texturing (incl. PBR. But not that great as Substance Painter) and UV.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by E2GO: Zbrush is a pure art in sculpting capabilities right after you pass through a bit wild interface. C4D have all the basic sculpting stuff you can have in multi-purpose software and it works as a nice addition to modelling. I think C4D sculpting is very similar to Blender's sculpting (but without dynamic tesseltion). 3DCoat is great for prototyping, texturing (incl. PBR. But not that great as Substance Painter) and UV.
Thanks!

So would you equate 3DCoat sculpting to C4d Sculpting? †Beautiful character work on your Artstation portfolio btw! Are you mostly using Zbrush for your UV work? How are you using Topogun?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Thanks!

So would you equate 3DCoat sculpting to C4d Sculpting? †Beautiful character work on your Artstation portfolio btw! Are you mostly using Zbrush for your UV work? How are you using Topogun?
I would equate 3DCoat sculpting to Zbrush actually) But Zbrush is way more Sculptor's choice then 3DCoat IMHO.
Thanks for feedback! Glad you like it)
I'm using C4D and Ryzom for UV and never Zbrush actually (or just for really rough and fast UVs).
Topogun is an amazing tool for retopology and it can be compared to 3DCoat's retopology actually in this case.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: This thread really has me interested in Rizom now! Can any users here comment on 3D Coatís sculpting vs C4d sculpting vs zBrush? Sorry itís a bit off-topic but sculpting features in 3D Coat seem to be the main difference between it and Rizom, both in features and price.†

This question regarding sculpting came up a few times over at the C4DCafe.† Me and Igor did a comparison here is the link.† Iv been using Zbrush since 1.5b about 2003 onward†so its fair to say I will have a bias towards Zbrush, however I did give 3D Coat and C4D a good try also.† Check the link for more details, but in summery I found Zbrush offered a better feel in the way the brushes react to the surface.† Zbrush feels like for the artist there is a connection between your pen brush strokes to real clay, I didnt get the same organic feeling with 3DCoat however 3DCoat was much more capable than C4D for sculpting.† In either case you should be using a Tablet pen, using the mouse is like digging up your back garden with a screwdriver it would do the job but be awkward†and slow.† The first thing you normaly head negative about Zbrush is its UI, I can understand this and for me of course it would not be a issue as Iv grown with the app, however you rarely here any complaint regarding its sculpting abilities more so now it has several technologies to sculpt that being directly on a SDS model, Dynamesh, and now Sculptris Pro.† I also find the ability to use the good old Zsphere to make a armature still a nice way to knock out a base mesh fast.

As for Rizom, Im still one version back with Unfold3d v9, I own MODO and never touch MODO uv tools, and they are quite decent.† Once you go the Rizom way and get used to it your no longer use anything else.† †Unfold3D was very exensive at one point before they became Rizom, its was regarding as a high end professional UV mapping software that only professionals could afford to have access to, now its affordable to everyone.† Once I get Rizom some day I will do a full comprehensive tutorial on it as I did for Unfold3d v7 way back.

Dan

1 Week Ago

Iíve just downloaded both demos. First impression after launching: Rizom looks intimidating; I feel like Iím looking at Maya(or Max!). 3dCoat feels slightly more approachable. Itís just now dawned on me how spoilt Iíve become with C4dís friendliness.†

Last edited by mustardseed : 1 Week Ago at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added screen captures

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Iíve just downloaded both demos. First impression after launching: Rizom looks intimidating; I feel like Iím looking at Maya(or Max!). 3dCoat feels slightly more approachable. Itís just now dawned on me how spoilt Iíve become with C4dís friendliness.†
Can you put a screen shot of Rizom up so I can compare to my Unfold3d v9?† If its not changed much I can help out doing a quick video for you.

PS: It is quite different after watching their 2018 video and wow I think Im going to be upgrading myself, the new features looks awesome.† Dont let the UI intimidate you, each area has tools clumped together and laid out so they are buttons rather text menus alone.† Once you learn how to select seams, cut and unfold your just navigate naturally as you wish to do certain tasks.† Looks like they have made a few nice videos and the one from Digital Meat is from a C4D user so that should help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHp5yduzvA

Dan

Last edited by Rectro : 1 Week Ago at 09:51 AM.

reply share thread