Announcing Cinema 4D R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Good release overall,  the long overdue material node editor, a massive update for motion designers and an interesting MeshFusion like feature. Sure it would be nice to see more things related to traditional modeling (eg. proper symmetry...), UV,  character animation and new xpresso, maybe next time. The thing I'm more disappointed is that, after some teasing on the Maxon blog, I really thought this release would finally bring the multithreaded objects handling everyone is waiting for, Multi-Instance is welcomed but it's more like a hack. 

1 Week Ago
Wow! Nice work Maxon!
Seeing these new features and lollypops my inner Veruca Salt is coming out--"I want it now, daddy, NOW!"

1 Week Ago
R20 is certainly full of clever goodness  although – like some others here – I can't help feel a tinge of disappointment that it's not ' the one' (whatever that might be). I thought we were heading for some grand unveiling of this amazing new core that they've been busy on for years. I was hoping for the ability to handle gazillions of objects and polys (not instances); but maybe that's not even what this new architecture does. Who knows...? The wait for R21 begins.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by luisRiera: I really dont understand you, a couple of days you wanted a proper nodal system. Now you have one.

I appreciate that they have finally put a Node Material System in C4D, but it's literally been an eternity for that to happen and just imagine how much continual upgrading that this would have involved cost wise to stay current and to have this one thing.... far more than a coffee and a cheese burger 'equating that to how tasty something is'. But it has come at a cost and looks to be unfinished...Deliberately so... so one can charge for the completion in the next paid update after it.. ?  I've been on this upgrade hamster wheel before where they have held back things... deliberate or otherwise....  

1 Week Ago
It's  at py 2.7 version. I thought they moved to 3

1 Week Ago
Since some 90% of the work I do involves visualization of client products, the new CAD import feature is massive. For me this will be on par with the addition of the Take system. Yesterday I was *this* close to dropping a grand on Rhino 6 in order to deal with converting some fussy STEP files. 

Very happy for a nodal material systems as well, although i rarely use C4D's native rendering engines. Perhaps the ProRender update will change that. 

Looking forward to the release date!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: I appreciate that they have finally put a Node Material System in C4D, but it's literally been an eternity for that to happen and just imagine how much continual upgrading that this would have involved cost wise to stay current and to have this one thing.... far more than a coffee and a cheese burger 'equating that to how tasty something is'. But it has come at a cost and looks to be unfinished...Deliberately so... so one can charge for the completion in the next paid update after it.. ?  I've been on this upgrade hamster wheel before where they have held back things... deliberate or otherwise....  

Can you please tell me, from the 5 minute video we saw about the new material system.. what part is unfinished?
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
i like the nodeal material editor... i hope thats the base for a materialX support in the future...

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by luisRiera: Can you please tell me, from the 5 minute video we saw about the new material system.. what part is unfinished?

There is no SSS ( Sub Surface Scattering ) support in the Node Material System.... as mentioned in Mathew's video, second from the top of this thread.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: There is no SSS ( Sub Surface Scattering ) support in the Node Material System.... as mentioned in Mathew's video, second from the top of this thread.

True. But I'd say 10 steps forward, a small shuffle back. Given the choice between releasing an entire new decent node system but lacks a couple of bits Vs not, there's no reason to hold it back, something you'd just told us you don't want to happen.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: There is no SSS ( Sub Surface Scattering ) support in the Node Material System.... as mentioned in Mathew's video, second from the top of this thread.
But you can still use SSS on the regular material node with Physical render, as well as with the new Pro Render node.. is not like SSS disappeared from C4D when Thanos snapped his fingers.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
If you have no dog in the hunt it's fun to see what surprising new features they add. And how they added them.
True. They're always years behind on everything. But when they finally do implement something. It's very interesting HOW they do it.
For me. It's not really so much the new gadgets that are cool. It's HOW the new gadgets were implemented that I enjoy seeing every year the most.
I always find myself saying: "What an interesting approach to doing this task".

The worst part of this is that it only happens once a year.

-ScottA

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: I appreciate that they have finally put a Node Material System in C4D, but it's literally been an eternity for that to happen and just imagine how much continual upgrading that this would have involved cost wise to stay current and to have this one thing....

When considering total cost of getting my pipeline to where it is today, I tend to look at it from there perspective of how much I chose to spend on the external solutions over the last decade to fill those long standing gaps..
verses staying with stock C4D studio  and paying MSA over the last decade.
By my rough math 
 it was more economical to invest in external options ,over the years, as it made no sense to continue paying Maxon more money for feature that do not interest me, while still having to spend on external tools.
C4D R20 still has no cloth engine capable of simulating cloth on a moving figure, thus I am using Daz's cloth and exporting MDD to C4D for rendering. (one time cost around $120 USD for the optional Daz plugins OPtitex,Dyncreator ,aniMate 2 full)

C4D R20  still has no usable human IK control rig to import human Mocap to C4D rigs thus I use Iclone pro with Daz figures and export to C4D or Lightwave for rendering (One time cost of  $549 for complete 6.5 pipeline bundle) 

C4D R20 still has no native Fluid Simulator thus I use My old seat of Realflow with the C4D bridge plugins from Nextlimit.
(one time cost of $2300 ten years ago)
C4D R20 still has no ability to create Lipsinc from Audio files As we have in Daz,and Iclone Pro,even the vestigial Poser
(One time cost of Daz mimic live plugin.$50)

Now add $500 USD for a second hand seat of Lightwave 3D 2015  as an eventual complete migration environment for  my Iclone/DAZ character pipeline natively without plugins.

So essentially My total cost to get my animated filmmaking pipeline where it is today is roughly $7200 over a ten year period.

If I had been paying the MSA for studio over the same period plus my initial cost of C4D R11.5,we are at around $8600 USD before buying any  the external plugins/apps I needed to fill the CA/Fluid/Dynamic cloth/VFX gaps.

So I merely suggest that those  others who chose to drop out of MSA years ago ,for feature related reasons, should have either migrated to Maya/Houdini or filled the missing feature gaps with plugins or  other entire programs at less cost than the MSA
over the years...so  honestly.. why complain now ? 

P.S. Lovely good show by MAXON on the Node based material editor and the improved instancing&CAD tools in R20!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: C4D R20 still has no ability to create Lipsinc from Audio files As we have in Daz,and Iclone Pro,even the vestigial Poser
(One time cost of Daz mimic live plugin.$50)
Check out the facial mocap app Maxon released for iPhone X: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-ar

Surely that must be better than auto lip sync based on sound?  I know an iPhone X is not cheap, but the results look awesome.

1 Week Ago
I've read at otoy forums that there is no mention of nodal interface in R20 SDK. That means  it's not possible, for now  at least, to use it by external render engines, so for third party render engine users like me it's not very useful. VDB's are very welcome, but also for anyone using x-particles it's not that ground breaking, but I must say it looks very good. "Fields" stuff looks very impressive, one step closer to houdini like possibilities. All those little things that saves you countless hours in work also looks very good.
I don't understand one thing about this new core, why we have to wait at least one more release to see any visible improvement to scene evaluation?
Number 20 seems to be as round as it can be to premiere ultra fast, accelerated scene evaluation.
And no UV stuff, Vamp working with UV's, clone stamp on UV edges?  (hint: game engines/AR/VR needs UV's)
Come one Maxon!
Overall, best release in years, but my expectations are not in sync with Maxon's development timeline i guess.

reply share thread