Announcing Cinema 4D R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ThirdEye: For the record the ex-Adobe guy you mentioned (it is just one person, not multiple as you suggested) does not own MAXON, he's a manager. MAXON keeps being a Nemetschek company.
It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something (I have a merit badge in that). I certainly hope this is the case. I love C4D and have found Maxon to be an excellent company to work with.

That said, there's a trend towards the rental model that the original owners obviously resisted. I hope the new controlling interests share that mindset, but it's an X factor at this point.

I was active on the Adobe forums during their transition to the subscription model and at the time, all Adobe staff members vehemently denied that the perpetual licenses would go away. Obviously that turned out to be a misinformation campaign. Once bitten, twice shy.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ThirdEye: For the record the ex-Adobe guy you mentioned (it is just one person, not multiple as you suggested) does not own MAXON, he's a manager. MAXON keeps being a Nemetschek company.
By the way, I'm a big fan of some subscription services. As a developer I've had multiple MSDN subscriptions. The difference is that in their model, when your year is up, you own perpetual licenses to all the software covered by that year. In the Adobe model, if you let your subscription expire, you're instantly locked out of all apps (and thus your projects) forever. Or until you relent and agree to pay the Adobe tax for the rest of your life.

I'm not fond of extortion tactics and thus hope that Maxon continues their perpetual licensing. Personally I think it's a competitive advantage.

1 Week Ago
Self-removed useless negativity about untouched features.

Last edited by interactiveBoy : 1 Week Ago at 03:33 PM.

1 Week Ago
I thought I'd click that video to find another dull upgrade, but what a surprise. I skipped R19, but won't be skipping R20.
My only issue atm, is that I know a lot of my favorite plugins won't work for R20.

1 Week Ago
Crikey , a Node Material system.... something people were regularly requesting 10 years ago....( I wasn't expecting it given how long that's been) and still no internal Fluids system, I mean how many years was it before we first saw any hint of that with the Turbulance..Plugin... I mean Blender has had a proper fluid simulation system as standard for donkey years now....( as far back as 2011 if memory serves me) and that's a free application. And did I just hear that right from Mathew.. at the end there.. that they have killed off Bodypaint integration ? All plugin's you have ever owned won't work unless they are recompiled... projects from R12 and below and scripts out the window... ect....

This looks like a one step forward and two steps back release.... In fact I'd probably suggest that this to be a side grade for those who want it, separate from the current development line of C4D as it currently is whilst C4D evolves in it's current form, because these regressions are and will be unacceptable from here on in for a lot of people.

Last edited by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\- : 1 Week Ago at 03:39 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: And did I just hear that right from Mathew.. at the end there.. that they have killed off Bodypaint integration ?

This is how false news is created. He said they no longer support Bodypaint integration with SoftImage. Super understandable don't you think?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: Crikey , a Node Material system.... something people were regularly requesting 10 years ago....( I wasn't expecting it given how long that's been) and still no internal Fluids system, I mean how many years was it before we first saw any hint of that with the Turbulance..Plugin... I mean Blender has had a proper fluid simulation system as standard for donkey years now....( as far back as 2011 if memory serves me) and that's a free application. And did I just hear that right from Mathew.. at the end there.. that they have killed off Bodypaint integration ? All plugin's you have ever owned won't work unless they are recompiled... projects from R12 and below and scripts out the window... ect....

This looks like a one step forward and two steps back release.... In fact I'd probably suggest that this to be a side grade for those who want it, separate from the current development line of C4D as it currently is whilst C4D evolves in it's current form, because these regressions are and will be unacceptable from here on in for a lot of people.

It really seems all you're good for these days is spewing useless trolling hate. If you can't see the significance of this update, then not only have you no business using C4D, I'd suggest maybe entering a different line of work entirely. At the very least, you can piss all the off this board and go find something else to complain about somewhere else where people aren't sick of it (you) yet.

There are definitely some major improvements in this release, no massive tent-pole that will excite the casual user, or headline-only reader like Scotty boy up there, but for those of us in the trenches with this software day in and day out, this is a great leap forward.

Good job Maxon.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: This is how false news is created. He said they no longer support Bodypaint integration with SoftImage. Super understandable don't you think?

Yup...that's what happens when you don't clearly explain and rush over the important 'negative things' at the tail end of an announcement video. I mean who knew that Softimage had anything to do with Bodypaint....?

1 Week Ago
Some impressive stuff, voxel stuff looks kind of like Modo's mesh fusion. Easier to use, but not as powerful. Not being into Motion Graphics, am a bit disappointed after all the hype.

On the modeling front I wished they'd added a copy/paste polys option. Don't see it in the feature list. The plugin I use "CopyPastePolys" probably won't work now.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: Yup...that's what happens when you don't clearly explain and rush over the important 'negative things' at the tail end of an announcement video. I mean who knew that Softimage had anything to do with Bodypaint....?
Well in all fairness, Matthew's video is not an official announcement video. He's a customer like us - who happens to have early access. So he was going over some of the features.

As for bodypaint and softimage...bodypaint was created to work alongside several other DCC apps. Softimage, maya, 3ds Max, etc. They are just no longer supporting Softimage.

I also have my disappointments with this release. This was supposed to be "the big one" in my mind...but it's just another yearly release with some much awaited features such as the nodal materials.

There's plenty of improvement to be made, and this release leaves me wishing some of the things that I need had been touched, but all-in-all I think this version will be a solid move forward.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by -/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-: Crikey , a Node Material system.... something people were regularly requesting 10 years ago....( I wasn't expecting it given how long that's been) and still no internal Fluids system, I mean how many years was it before we first saw any hint of that with the Turbulance..Plugin... I mean Blender has had a proper fluid simulation system as standard for donkey years now....( as far back as 2011 if memory serves me) and that's a free application. And did I just hear that right from Mathew.. at the end there.. that they have killed off Bodypaint integration ? All plugin's you have ever owned won't work unless they are recompiled... projects from R12 and below and scripts out the window... ect....

I really dont understand you, a couple of days you wanted a proper nodal system. Now you have one.

Every year, for every software, updates are usually things they don't have since launch, complaining about how long do we requested them is beyond any logic.

As a side note >
Maya : 1998 / Mash (mograph) for maya : 2016.
3dsmax : 1990 / Fluids for 3dsmax: 2017
Foundry Modo : 2004 Non linear Animation for Modo (Trax / Mixer): ????

All plugin's you have ever owned won't work unless they are recompiled...

Welcome to Maya / 3dsmax each year.

projects from R12 and below and scripts out the window.

Welcome to Maya 2016, post Mental Ray era.
Also welcome to Arnold 2017 v5
Former gf: XSI

Last edited by luisRiera : 1 Week Ago at 04:31 PM.

1 Week Ago
I'd be interested in hearing more about Pro Render. I've seen some great examples on other threads and The Glenster's twitter feed. The feature set looks pretty solid, with robust passes, SSS, Motion blur, and the support for mograph shaders and other goodies.

Is the only thing holding it back now the speed of the result vs Redshift or Octane? Should I buy a couple of eGPUs for my Mac, throw a couple of Vega 64's at it, and try switching to it? Or try to run all the weird hacks from eGPU.io and try a CUDA based engine?

1 Week Ago
Happy for VDB's and the Fields and many CAD imports - if reliable - it opens Cinema 4D to more possibilities.

Disappointed by the interface they choose for the nodes, does not have the Cinema 4D feel and ID, the nodes just seem like a copy from others around.

This modeling improvement hope it is what it appears to be and can be automatized to occur every time we delete a polygon otherwise if it is one more button to click = not good
Quote: Delete Components command with much faster performance and better behavior (e.g., deleting disconnected points)

Any idea when a demo will arrive?

Last edited by Bullit : 1 Week Ago at 04:33 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: Happy for VDB's and the Fields and many CAD imports - if reliable - it opens Cinema 4D to more possibilities.

Disappointed by the interface they choose for the nodes, does not have the Cinema 4D feel and ID, the nodes just seem like a copy from others around.

This modeling improvement hope it is what it appears to be and can be automatized to occur every time we delete a polygon otherwise it is one more button to click = not good

Any idea when a demo will arrive?
I also thought the nodal interface was similar to Cycles, but more elegant. I hope they added it to Xpresso next version, they dont have any reason NOT to.
I also hope Shift + C (commander) will work inside the nodal material network.

I dont use C4D to model, but VDBs looks quite useful to model, if you dont care about topology.

Fields everywhere (mograph, particles, deformers) is a massive update, way beyond the scope of a 5 minute video.

Prorender.. I'll reserve any comment until I can properly test it. Last year Pro render is collecting dust.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: It really seems all you're good for these days is spewing useless trolling hate. If you can't see the significance of this update, then not only have you no business using C4D, I'd suggest maybe entering a different line of work entirely. At the very least, you can piss all the off this board and go find something else to complain about somewhere else where people aren't sick of it (you) yet.

It's only when things are complained about, that things change.. even if a few don't like what I have to say... I don't look through rose tinted spectacles, joining the fanboism connected with consumer products and the corporations that surround them and never have done, whatever the software, be that 3D or music production. I'm a registered and legit user of C4D of 18+ years...and still a current user...

reply share thread