Announcing Cinema 4D R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Great for Mograph...
But my CAD data doesn't have 1,000,000 identical cubes in it - more like 100,000 different polygon objects.

Should I take that as a NO, then?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: Great for Mograph...
But my CAD data doesn't have 1,000,000 identical cubes in it - more like 100,000 different polygon objects.
Should I take that as a NO, then?

No, but the new CAD importers for STEP, Solidworks, IGES, Catia and JT files include really extensive options for simplifying the CAD data and combining various objects, as well as adjusting tessellation for each object based on its relative scale.

1 Week Ago
Noted. I am glad to see some love for those of us doing visualisation work and handling this sort of data!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by RickBarrett: No, but the new CAD importers for STEP, Solidworks, IGES, Catia and JT files include really extensive options for simplifying the CAD data and combining various objects, as well as adjusting tessellation for each object based on its relative scale.

And it's automatically creating render instances for instanced object which is a relieve for all those screws you get in your CAD machinery.

1 Week Ago
Looking good, what happened to all the development on Bodypaint?

1 Week Ago
While new toys are always fun, probably my biggest motivation to upgrade is concern over the change in ownership to folks with an Adobe history.

If Maxon stops offering perpetual licensing and moves to the AdobeLifetime Tax model, I'll be locked at whatever the last perpetual version was. I had the 32 bit Adobe CS5 suite and didn't upgrade to the 64 bit CS6 before their move to subscription. Don't want to make that kind of mistake again.

1 Week Ago
Really impressive stuff, congratulations - looks like a great release. Nodal materials -- at last! I believe I've been banging on about this since... 2004? Oh god, so old...

And CAD import is really handy too, .step support means an easy direct path from Fusion360.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: Great for Mograph... But my CAD data doesn't have 1,000,000 identical cubes in it - more like 100,000 different polygon objects. Should I take that as a NO, then?

I imported this from a step file, the import goes really nicely so you can select how dense the polygon mesh should be, and all identical elements will be correctly interpreted as render instances. Overall this gives much better performance than just a typical raw polygon import

1 Week Ago
wow, looks like an massive update! amazing!

1 Week Ago
Some more fun. In this video I've driven a series of fields with audio, noise and particles, which then feeds into a low res vdb volume mesher. Everything is rendered with opengl @half a second per frame. It also loops

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Nodal materials -- at last!
Love the node approach. It somehow makes more sense to my tiny little programmer's brain.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ChrisDuncan: While new toys are always fun, probably my biggest motivation to upgrade is concern over the change in ownership to folks with an Adobe history.

If Maxon stops offering perpetual licensing and moves to the AdobeLifetime Tax model, I'll be locked at whatever the last perpetual version was. I had the 32 bit Adobe CS5 suite and didn't upgrade to the 64 bit CS6 before their move to subscription. Don't want to make that kind of mistake again.
For the record the ex-Adobe guy you mentioned (it is just one person, not multiple as you suggested) does not own MAXON, he's a manager. MAXON keeps being a Nemetschek company.

1 Week Ago
Anyone got a complete feature-list?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mp-grafix: Anyone got a complete feature-list?

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/n...e-feature-list/

Looks like a great set of additions! Can't wait to pour over the videos one the weekend hits.

reply share thread