most complex toon-Rigg - inspiration

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
most complex toon-Rigg - inspiration

Hi guys.

I saw this video on a site:

Long time ago since i saw such a complex toon-rig. Really amazing ! And imidiantly a questions pops up in my mind, if something like this would be possible
inside C4D? What do you think? Are there any comparable videos out there, made by C4D ?

3 Weeks Ago
Going to play devils advocate here but this is nearly impossible with C4D because of two things:

(1) C4D has this priority system where every rigging feature should be more or less in order with other priority system. In Maya, you can freestyle and you'd still have a working rig
(2) C4D do not have GPU evaluation. Looking at the fps bar, that rig clocks at around 1fps to 2fps when controllers are moved and that is with GPU evaluation (enabled by default in Maya). I'm not even sure if you even move controller like this in C4D.

Website

3 Weeks Ago
Yeah that rig is bananas. It's these stuff that is tempting me to learn Maya.

3 Weeks Ago
Woha thanks for sharing! I honestly don't think that this is possible with C4D (yet). But I think Maxon will go further into the VFX and Animation path with C4D. Motion and Object Tracker were something I never anticipated for Cinema. and when you want to make C4D more suitable for VR you also need more ways to animate.

3 Weeks Ago
I am pretty certain you could build that rig in C4D. The priciples are the same in C4D. Its a trickery to setup everything. But I dont see a reason why this should not be possible in C4D. In 99% of cases you can work around the Priority Issues. If not you do a bit of python coding.
Dont think that using Maya enables you to make such rigs. Making such rigs needs a lot of experience and practice. Its not a Matter of the Application. Performancewise I am not sure this would be a problem in C4D. The bottleneck is XPresso (singlethreaded). But I dont think you would need to do a lot of calculations in Xpresso. Most things I saw in that rig is Deformers and Blendshapes and Constraints. Deformers are most Costly performance wise. And Deformers are Multithreaded in C4D.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

3 Weeks Ago
This reminds me of the days when we kids all built street muscle cars and thought it was cool to install huge cams, tunnel rams, and over sized carburetors (Google them).
They looked really impressive. But the cars were undriveable slugs on the street until you got the car moving over 80 mph.

-ScottA

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I am pretty certain you could build that rig in C4D. The priciples are the same in C4D. Its a trickery to setup everything. But I dont see a reason why this should not be possible in C4D. In 99% of cases you can work around the Priority Issues. If not you do a bit of python coding.
Dont think that using Maya enables you to make such rigs. Making such rigs needs a lot of experience and practice. Its not a Matter of the Application. Performancewise I am not sure this would be a problem in C4D. The bottleneck is XPresso (singlethreaded). But I dont think you would need to do a lot of calculations in Xpresso. Most things I saw in that rig is Deformers and Blendshapes and Constraints. Deformers are most Costly performance wise. And Deformers are Multithreaded in C4D.
Its actually more about how you get to the final result. For example: for C4D it takes 50 lines of code to get to a result instead just 2 lines in another application.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Frokito: Its actually more about how you get to the final result. For example: for C4D it takes 50 lines of code to get to a result instead just 2 lines in another application.
Not sure what you are reffering to. Do you mean Python Scripting?
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: Not sure what you are reffering to. Do you mean Python Scripting?
Yeah I was thinking of the example that Entagme gave concerning cinema vs houdini. He showed a setup where there where bunch of lines of codes in cinema 4d but in houdini it was just a couple of lines. But I do agree that every major 3d program is capable do to almost everything it just depends on your technical skills.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Frokito: Yeah I was thinking of the example that Entagme gave concerning cinema vs houdini. He showed a setup where there where bunch of lines of codes in cinema 4d but in houdini it was just a couple of lines. But I do agree that every major 3d program is capable do to almost everything it just depends on your technical skills.
Yeah that is possible. But I think especially when comparing Houdini VS. C4D there is a lot of differences in many areas that it is hard to just compare it in one area. I am also sure this rig could be build in Houdini. Would it be quicker/more fun I am not sure. Houdini is a data driven Application that is great to process a loooot of data. But setting up Rigs I think the C4D Way is not that bad. Linking objects by arranging Objects in the Objectmanager is pretty nice. But I dont want to get into a disscution here as I have never done Rigging in Houdini.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

3 Weeks Ago
Very (very!) cool to see this rig in action!

I love the work from mindbender!

3 Weeks Ago
really an amazing and truly mind bending rig! i too would say that most of of it is possible in c4d, but as bentraje said c4ds priority system would make it really hard to make such a complex rig work flawlessly. i've been working on more complex facial rigs lately and it's just driving me crazy. hours and hours of fiddling around with priority values, i can't imagine how frustrating it would be to set up priorities for a rig like that above. maybe if one knows python well there's workarounds, but rather simple people like me are stuck with constraints, xpresso and deformers. here's a question for the coding aficionados out there: why can't c4d just evaluate by itself what needs to be calculated first? forgive me if that's a stupid question, but to me it sounds only logical that a 3D software would do that automatically. it's really one of the rare occasions where c4d is much less intuitive than its competitors. i've not yet heard anyone doing rigging in c4d say "yeah, priorities rock".

3 Weeks Ago
A lot of arguments from people uncertain how to do it in any app. Its futile to argue what app is better at an area you don't fully understand. If the impression is that maya is specially suited for this type of rig, consider that the only three good examples I know of, of a rig with this sort of extreme cartoony flexibility, are all from Mindbender studios, it isnt hard to realize there is a particularly talented rigger or team of riggers there who specialize in this style and this is the fruition of further developing their cartoon network rigs from several years ago.

Talent, time and evolution, nothing to do with software. We can discuss simplicity of python APIs but you dont see a lot of character work coming out of houdini, so again it's a moot argument.

The discussion on performance is a tough on in this case, as yes maya does have the ability to accelerate their character rigs with the GPU. However what is in a rig and what they call accelerating a rig are two very different things. Skinning deformation, ik solvers and rivets doesnt mean all types of deformations and blendshapes etc are,k and when you start to mix I custom expressions and such, you basically sacrifice that acceleration for functionality. I highly doubt the is a big performance difference with and without the GPU acceleration of a rig like this based on the extensive benchmarking I saw while at Dneg.

3 Weeks Ago
https://vimeo.com/274382062
This is a complicated C4D face rig that I made. I spent a lot of time dealing with priorities. I hope that C4D R20 can automatically animate logic instead of requiring us to manually handle the priority, which is too backward :(

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by kangddan: https://vimeo.com/274382062
This is a complicated C4D face rig that I made. I spent a lot of time dealing with priorities. I hope that C4D R20 can automatically animate logic instead of requiring us to manually handle the priority, which is too backward :(

i'm afraid we won't see that in r20, as character animation apparently isn't given a high PRIORITY at maxon
as you know i've built similar features like yours (not quite as slick though), and i just couldn't get rid of all the priority issues as of now. you fix it at one place, and then another conflict appears, with dozens of constraints and xpresso tags it's really hard to get those issues sorted properly. rigging in c4d would be way more fun if we wouldn't have to deal with that. nevertheless, keep doing what you're doing, you're very good at it, your work has been an inspiration to me!

reply share thread