Nemetschek increases share in subsidiary MAXON to 100%

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: The functions in Houdini and Maya are not "inachieveable magic" or anything like that. Don't. Believe. The. Marketing. Hype.

There are hundreds of academic papers open to everyone that recount in great detail how to achieve very high-end CA functionality, write a highly advanced render engine or implement things like multi-physics solvers.

There are also plenty of people in academia who have already implemented these techniques in a university lab environment - these people have written solid working C/C++ code that already does what is needed inside C4D.

All Maxon would have to do is to hire a handful of these researchers on a 1 - 2 year temporary basis, get them to build a first, solid implementation of what is needed, and then pay them and let them go again.

I'm repeating myself, but none of this stuff involves any kind of "magic" whatsover - things like advanced CA and multiphysics and also many other things in CG are quite well explored.

You just need capable people in the CG research field to come into the Maxon office for a year or two and create an implementation that works well inside C4D.

With all respect....I’ve lost count of all the times you’ve said of various tech, “Oh that’s easy.”

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Skeebertus: The functions in Houdini and Maya are not "inachieveable magic" or anything like that. Don't. Believe. The. Marketing. Hype.>snip<
...I'm repeating myself, but none of this stuff involves any kind of "magic" whatsover - things like advanced CA and multiphysics and also many other things in CG are quite well explored.

Seriously Mate,
Might I ask Why are you putting quotes around the word "magic" when you are the only one who has used the term with regards to the capabilities of  SideFX Houdini and Autodesk Maya ??

Originally Posted by skeebertus: There are also plenty of people in academia who have already implemented these techniques in a university lab 

Lovely... I imagine there are quite a bit of clever of people "in academia" who have already implemented multiple techniques for putting on a pair of knickers as well.

However there is quite the difference between  the abstract theoretical environments of university and the variables of coding & implementing something functionally similar to Houdini's flip fluids, into an existing code base where no fluid solver existed before, and have it in a deliverable state as a native integrated  feature one version later,

Not Declaring such a feature impossible for R20 by any means ,
but given how long it took for  C4D to get  "well explored" features like Ngons, high poly sculpting and a proper edge bevel etc
 ' it seems highly unlikely...IMHO

However Maxon May surprise us all with a bit of "magic",we shall see.

1 Week Ago
Here's a five minute clip of Maxon's new CEO, David McGavran, at the WWDC conference a few years back, showing off Illustrator and After Effects stuff. He looks a bit nervous so hopefully dealing with the fun and funkier C4D community will be a breath of fresh air for him.

https://youtu.be/kMilsieo-S0?t=5544

1 Week Ago
Poor bloke did not look happy to be on that stage...

1 Week Ago
Getting on the stage and talking in front of people whilst being filmed still sets a new milestone for maxon headquarters management appearing in public ;-)

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Poor bloke did not look happy to be on that stage...

Can't say I blame him. Public speaking is painful. Public speaking in front of cameras is torture.

Leave the public speaking to the politicians, PR spinners, and Marketing wonks. I'd rather get a 2 page blog post written by the CEO than some ra-ra speech with a fancy beta demo. In these matters, it's the substance that matters not the presentation.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Can't say I blame him. Public speaking is painful. Public speaking in front of cameras is torture.

Leave the public speaking to the politicians, PR spinners, and Marketing wonks. I'd rather get a 2 page blog post written by the CEO than some ra-ra speech with a fancy beta demo. In these matters, it's the substance that matters not the presentation.
I would rather get a colonoscopy than speak in front of people AND get filmed while doing it. I've given an oral report to a colonel as an E4 (USAF) more relaxed than public speaking.

1 Day Ago
Blog post from new CEO.

https://www.maxon.net/en/news/maxon-blog/article/day-1/

Seems like he's got his priorities straight (i.e. listen to customers to inform product strategy). I'll take that as a positive sign; we'll see where it leads us in the next year or two.

1 Day Ago
It's really great enjoy to hear such things)
Offtopic: Is there any way to became R20+ betatester!?..

1 Day Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Leave the public speaking to the politicians, PR spinners, and Marketing wonks....

and the awesome Cinema 4D presenters... doh!

21 Hours Ago
Originally Posted by noseman: and the awesome Cinema 4D presenters... doh!

Those bums?? Never! 

Kidding. Those presenters (yourself included) are indeed awesome, unlike a politician. 

reply share thread