Nemetschek increases share in subsidiary MAXON to 100%

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: I honestly dont see how they could possibly catch up to a powerhouse like Houdini in the area of film quality VFX ,in One release
or jump to the Level of Autodesk Maya in the area of scalable Character animation and motion retargeting in one release either.
Certainly not to a degree that C4D R20 could actually supplant either of those apps in  anyones VFX or CA pipelines.
Certainly. And perhaps the overall goal is not to compete directly, but to find out what areas those packages aren't focusing in, and to develop innovative tools in those other arenas, similar to what they did with the original mograph module. That said, there's still a basic level of tools  that every 3D package needs to survive, and ensuring that those are at industry standards is important too. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by theglenster: theres alot of guessing going on in this thread. all completely wrong. trust me

In Glen We Trust ™

Skeeter: I think the second scenario you mention (technical competencies and experience leading dev teams) is the obvious reason for the new CEO's hiring, not an evil plot to tear down MAXON's value so Adobe can buy it. First of all I don't think Adobe, despite its foray into subscriptions a few years ago, is anywhere near the level of Microsoft when it comes to Evil Corporation ® status and generally being short-sighted, cut-throat assholes. Microsoft under Steve Ballmer (when they so richly earned their long-standing reputation as a company worthy of everyone's contempt) would just do things "because we can" rather than because they were good ideas or because they should. They were the 900 lb gorilla and acted like a 900 lb gorilla. And in the case of Nokia, wanted to buy a different 900 lb. gorilla. That's on a level of expense that doesn't apply here — at one point Nokia was worth almost $150B. So that's where the "tear them down and cannibalize their tech" strategy came from. Classic Ballmer. How'd that work out for ya, Stevie? Anyone still using "Windows Phone"? The Zune of phones died an early death (no one was surprised). But hey at least Steve  (unintentionally) made us laugh sometimes. Silver lining.

There's no  analog to be found in this situation. Adobe already has the money to buy MAXON and has for some time. And Adobe's would-be reason for buying MAXON — other than to improve much smaller projects like Dimension potentially — would be to earn profits directly from MAXON's flagship product, exactly (more or less) as it is. They would want to keep that user base intact and expand it, which would not happen if they attempted to gut C4D and use the tech in other products. They would get an advanced 3D product that is already entrenched in specific industries, without having to make a huge expenditure in R&D (i.e. the point is they wouldn't have to develop it themselves). More than likely they would  hire the entire team, make them Adobe employees, "open an office" in Germany and Montreal, add a few more employees, maybe move the MAXON USA people into Adobe's main HQ in California and say "keep doing what you're doing... we may borrow an engineer here or there for other projects, but keep going." That's how they would make their money back as quickly as possible and start earning a profit from their investment. 

All that said I'm not too worried about an Adobe acquisition; might be a little scary if it does happen at some point but shouldn't be "the end of us" for reasons stated above. Right now everyone should be focused on R20 and the new CEO's plans to expand C4D as a product / market leader.  Hopefully we'll get some idea of that at SIGGRAPH, if not directly from him then on the MAXON blog or other press event.

Last edited by Blinny : 1 Week Ago at 10:19 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: In Glen We Trust ™

im putting that on a tshirt! hehe

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: I honestly dont see how they could possibly catch up to a powerhouse like Houdini in the area of film quality VFX ,in One release
or jump to the Level of Autodesk Maya in the area of scalable Character animation and motion retargeting in one release either.
Certainly not to a degree that C4D R20 could actually supplant either of those apps in  anyones VFX or CA pipelines.

The functions in Houdini and Maya are not "inachieveable magic" or anything like that. Don't. Believe. The. Marketing. Hype.

There are hundreds of academic papers open to everyone that recount in great detail how to achieve very high-end CA functionality, write a highly advanced render engine or implement things like multi-physics solvers.

There are also plenty of people in academia who have already implemented these techniques in a university lab environment - these people have written solid working C/C++ code that already does what is needed inside C4D.

All Maxon would have to do is to hire a handful of these researchers on a 1 - 2 year temporary basis, get them to build a first, solid implementation of what is needed, and then pay them and let them go again.

I'm repeating myself, but none of this stuff involves any kind of "magic" whatsover - things like advanced CA and multiphysics and also many other things in CG are quite well explored.

You just need capable people in the CG research field to come into the Maxon office for a year or two and create an implementation that works well inside C4D.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: All Maxon would have to do is to hire a handful of these researchers on a 1 - 2 year temporary basis, get them to build a first, solid implementation of what is needed, and then pay them and let them go again.
if only it was as easy as "just hiring a handfull" of developers. its INSANELY difficult right now to hire well qualified telented developers. in fact filling ANY I.T. position is hard enough and its getting harder.
so this is a good time to remind everyone that we a constantly looking for people to join the team at maxon to make cinema 4d even better!!!
feel free to spam the net with this link

https://www.maxon.net/en/header-met...out-maxon/jobs/

cheers

1 Week Ago
It's good to hear from them!http://<br /> <br /> https://www....article/thanks/

Also good to hear.

Quote: A completely new, robust program core and an effective system architecture are already at work in the current Release and make up the state-of-the-art heart of Cinema 4D. This strong, new heart will ensure that Cinema 4D meets and exceeds the challenges required for your complex data and render-intensive needs long into the future. Most of these changes have been implemented behind the scenes and now a very special part will be visible – and useable … and well-informed internal sources promise that there is much more to come!

Quote: We’re looking forward to giving the new management team a running start with the upcoming Cinema 4D Release, which we think will be a milestone in MAXON history.

1 Week Ago
I've watched the help wanted posts by Maxon for about a decade. They've always had a fairly tough time filling positions.
As a person that manages business for a living. I've also had a LOT of trouble finding good employees. So I can sympathize.
I've probably interviewed over 1000 people over the course of my career. It really is extremely tough to find good people.
In my case. It was always tough due to a combination of the business location and the kind of work needed to be done (a.k.a. smart/physical labor).
Since most of the jobs are listed as "Home Office" jobs in Germany. I would imagine that makes it incredibly hard to find people. The best people are probably not willing to work at the home office.

-ScottA

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: I've watched the help wanted posts by Maxon for about a decade. They've always had a fairly tough time filling positions.
As a person that manages business for a living. I've also had a LOT of trouble finding good employees. So I can sympathize.
I've probably interviewed over 1000 people over the course of my career. It really is extremely tough to find good people.
In my case. It was always tough due to a combination of the business location and the kind of work needed to be done (a.k.a. smart/physical labor).
Since most of the jobs are listed as "Home Office" jobs in Germany. I would imagine that makes it incredibly hard to find people. The best people are probably not willing to work at the home office.

-ScottA

We've had success finding and hiring good talent by allowing artists to work remotely. There could be a number of reasons why this might not work for Maxon, but we've found its become quite dooable to run a business with a mobile team using many of the tools available these days (skype, dropbox, management software like zoho, ftrack or Shotgun) . The only challenge might be time zones which can be an issue from time to time, but we've managed to work that out. Odds are Maxon probably works with remote developers already.

1 Week Ago
^A lot of their support people are remote. And those guys also do some coding work.
But I've noticed that when it comes to the big things like GUI and back end coding. They typically list them as "Home Office" jobs.
That probably makes it a lot tougher on them to find the right people.

-ScottA

1 Week Ago
Currently I believe most of the c4d programmers work remotely. Most of the "we need you here in germany" jobs are more traditional positions; marketing, admin, design, etc.

1 Week Ago
^Are we looking at the same job postings?
Traditionally. Most of the big coding jobs are listed as in house positions.
Yes. The remote coders do pitch in and help out. But a lot of the coding work has always been listed as "Home Office" positions on their site.
And more recently they've added a few Canadian office location positions.

-ScottA

Last edited by Scott Ayers : 1 Week Ago at 05:23 PM.

1 Week Ago
When you say "home office".... do you mean the german head office, or the worker has their home as the office? Some programmers are needed at the head office, many others can work from anywhere.

1 Week Ago
Their postings state that the positions are located at specific locations (Germany and Canada). It's been like that for many years.
I'm not sure how much they enforce it. But that is what they say in their job listings.
If it's not really mandatory to work in those locations. Putting those words in there sure seems like a good way to turn away a lot of potential hires.

-ScottA

1 Week Ago
The job offerings are a very mixed thing, we took several new people on that work from remote even though we would have prefered to have them in the HQ. If we can find good people, we take them.

1 Week Ago
^Thanks for the info Srek. That's kind of what I thought was happening.
Most programmers are probably used to ignoring the job requirements on job postings. Because tech employers always ask for the the sky & moon. But don't really expect to get it.
As a job seeker. You have to do a lot of ignoring in the requirements. Or else you'll never find a job. It's such a dysfunctional sector that way.
But the wording in those job listings are bound to drive some people way.
It might be a good idea to change it to something like: Local applicants preferred. But remote work is possible for the right candidate.

Just a thought. 
Just ignore me if you're happy with the results you're getting from them. ;-)
-ScottA

reply share thread