Nemetschek increases share in subsidiary MAXON to 100%

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by imashination: The 3 bosses c4d has had for the past 30 years have done a great job and I wish them the best in whatever they choose to do now (sitting on a beach with a vodka tonic is a great option

And yes, im standing by my guns and saying that R20 is the best update c4d has had in a decade. It naturally isn't everything that everyone asked for (it never is) but it's a great swan song to go out on for the changing of the guard
bloody well deserved vodka on a beach! was quite an emotional day today, end of an era and all that. but.... onwards!

(ps: R20..... buckle up its going to be crazy!!

1 Week Ago
theglenster and imashination are doing a good job getting me excited for R20.  :-)

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by theglenster: bloody well deserved vodka on a beach! was quite an emotional day today, end of an era and all that. but.... onwards!

(ps: R20..... buckle up its going to be crazy!!

Thats what I want to hear

Its like waiting for a new star wars film. Will it be good? Will half the fans love it and the other hate it? Should I temper my expectations? Looking forward to seeing where it ranks on the tomato meeter.

1 Week Ago
Cool, interesting news. On the subject, here's David McGavran penning a blog post about his Adobe trip to Brazil.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/once-in-a-lifetime-experience-in-brazil/

And here's McGavran jumping in to an official Adobe thread just three weeks ago, discussing tech issues (Premiere Pro on the iMac) with a user.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2504511

Originally Posted by David McGavran: Can you grab a crash report and post it here?  You will find it in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ should say Adobe Premiere Pro CC..crash.. if you want the highest performance, currently OpenCL is a bit faster.  You got me a couple crash reports and we identified those problems and fixes are under way.  For your other issues you simply said you had problems.  I am happy to help but we need information. 

If there is an issue in here that hasn't been resolved or tracked, feel free to update below this post and I will make sure it is tracked......We want to make sure you have a great experience with our software.  The problems you are having are real.  But we need to get more information from you to see what is going on.  If you want help we are here.  

Cheers,

Dave

He seems like a switched on guy and not just some evil Mr Burns type character in a suit.

1 Week Ago
I’ll address the elephant in the room.

I suspect that a full—or partial— sale to Adobe is coming.
-Nemetschek gains full ownership to simplify negotiations and transfer
-Adobe guy is brought in as CEO

C4d is a creative tool unlike anything in Adobe’s offerings suite. AR/VR despite a bit of a lull is poised to grow and could be massive. Accessible content tools for that medium could be vital for a company like Adobe. Integration w/AE and Illustrator is in place.

Throughout all industries there is consolidation. Big fish swallow up smaller fish. For example Unity is cozying up with Google, which could be merely a partnership but could be the beginning of much more.

Autodesk is a player that is moving hard. It’s moving into AI and their life sciences group is working in NanoTech. They are a tough competitor getting stronger.

It’s inevitable that in the coming years DCC apps will start to fold in AI features and will be utilized in completely new ways. That kind of expansion is easier for a big company with deep pockets and proximity to Silicon Valley.

If a sale is forthcoming I would guess Maxon would remain as a German based subsidiary w/ a lot of autonomy. And I’d guess Adobe would offer the product in a subscription that is layered on top of the base cloud suite. (Not included in current price/package)

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 11:52 PM.

1 Week Ago
Out of curiosity I looked up Nemetschek stock info.

They are currently at a market cap of $4.66 Billion USD. Their stock has grown about 300% in the past 3 years. Of course Maxon is just one of it’s companies. The U.S. accounts for 30% of revenues.

They recently added Bill Krouch to their board...the first board member from U.S. Krouch has structural engineering background...and more recently a background in private equity, institutional investments and corporate acquisitions.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 03:16 AM.

1 Week Ago
Admittedly the Adobe thing had also crossed my mind. But two things against the Adobe buyout theory; Firstly is the simple fact that if it was going to happen, it would have happened already. I've been with C4D for 19 years now, an Adobe buyout rumour happens every year like clockwork. If they were going to buy, it would have happened long ago before the price tag increased so dramatically. Secondly is the degree to which Nemetschek's other companies rely on the C4D development. Key parts of their other CAD software is essentially a large chunk of C4D. At this point selling off Maxon would cut an axe through their CAD offerings.

I see where you're going, but I just don't see it happening at this stage.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by imashination: Admittedly the Adobe thing had also crossed my mind. But two things against the Adobe buyout theory; Firstly is the simple fact that if it was going to happen, it would have happened already. I've been with C4D for 19 years now, an Adobe buyout rumour happens every year like clockwork. If they were going to buy, it would have happened long ago before the price tag increased so dramatically. Secondly is the degree to which Nemetschek's other companies rely on the C4D development. Key parts of their other CAD software is essentially a large chunk of C4D. At this point selling off Maxon would cut an axe through their CAD offerings.

I see where you're going, but I just don't see it happening at this stage.

We are all just reading the tea leaves. You may well be right.

Flip side to the “would have already happened” is this:
The hiring of a former Adobe guy for CEO hasn’t happened before in those 19 years. Change is often a precursor to other changes.

Your other argument is stronger: if a Maxon sale would cripple their other CAD offerings...that’s clearly a big deal.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I’ll address the elephant in the room.

I suspect that a full—or partial— sale to Adobe is coming.

theres alot of guessing going on in this thread. all completely wrong. trust me

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan:
They recently added Bill Krouch to their board...the first board member from U.S. Krouch has structural engineering background...and more recently a background in private equity, institutional investments and corporate acquisitions.
Nemetschek may be wanting to use these talents for themselves rather than selling on their assets

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

1 Week Ago
@theglenster : Well prove it then, tell me all you know about R20, and I'll tell you if that's what I thought would happen. 

And THEN we'll figure out if we were ALL wrong. Ha!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I suspect that a full—or partial— sale to Adobe is coming.

Years ago a manager at Microsoft left to become head of Nokia. He ruined Nokia from within in record time, knocked down the market value of Nokia, and then Microsoft bought Nokia's phone business at a bargain price.

As far as I remember, Microsoft then hired said manager back to the MS mothership and gave him a promotion.

That probably won't happen at Maxon though. They probably hired the ex-Adobe (technical) manager because he is a competent techie and has a lot of experience in film, television and entertainment production.

I have one piece of advice for the incoming CEO - invest in R&D, R&D and more R&D.

C4D pretty much has everything it needs UI design and stability-wise. The most painless and artist-friendly Pro 3D software by a wide margin. Easy to learn. The workflow just works.

But C4D really needs some new, bleeding-edge, state-of-the-art 3D technologies integrated into it. A good place to start would be fluids simulation and multi-physics capability (where fluids, particles, softbodies, hardbodies, hair, cloth, spline dynamics and various animateable dynamics forces interact seamlessly in one solver for example).

Or for example, built-in Photogrammetry technology for extracting hyper-realistic 3D stuff from photographs and video footage. Imagine C4D being able to pull fully textured 3D objects out of video footage using its existing camera-tracking technology so you don't need to dick around with physical markers and other crap.

Sketch-based 3D modeling would be nice. Voxel or pointcloud based 3D free-form modeling with quad topology meshing on GPU would be grand.

C4D's biggest mistake was to get itself pigeon-holed as a broadcast and motion graphics software mainly. With the UI it has, C4D would work great for Film, Television, VFX, VR/AR and Game work as well.

There are 2 ways to do bleeding-edge. You either license someone else's existing Computer Graphics research, source code or patents.

Or you set up a good R&D team that develops the needed methods and technologies in-house.

LightWave 2019 for example still has the sucky old LW user interface from 15 years ago that really isn't up to par anymore, but NewTek appear to be doing quite a bit of R&D into new rendering tech especially to catch up with the big boys right now.

CG software is expensive and C4D is no exception. People paying 3K to 4K a license expect the software to have the latest CG capabilities when it is needed - not 3 to 4 years after other software gets it.

1 Week Ago
The guy who runs the Canadian branch of Maxon development said (right after R17, when everyone was a bit unhappy) that they’d beefed up their hires there from a few to nine or ten or more programmers within the space of a year, had acquired lots of keen folk from the games industry and ex Softimage folk from the area, and that all sorts of very pleasing stuff was now on the way. We’ll find out what it is in about a month.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: I have one piece of advice for the incoming CEO - invest in R&D, R&D and more R&D.

CG software is expensive and C4D is no exception. People paying 3K to 4K a license expect the software to have the latest CG capabilities when it is needed - not 3 to 4 years after other software gets it.

Very good points; many of the much requested features are 'keeping up with the joneses' in nature - and it wouldn't surprise me if many of the major new features fell into this camp. 

Right now my money is on:
- Fully featured Pro-Render
- A real IPR
- Nodal materials
- Camera Tracking updates (planar tracking is the next obvious step)
- Sculpting features (auto-retopo would make sense; perhaps an InstantMeshes integration)

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 1 Week Ago at 01:52 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Skeebertus: C4D's biggest mistake was to get itself pigeon-holed as a broadcast and motion graphics software mainly. With the UI it has, C4D would work great for Film, Television, VFX, VR/AR and Game work as well.

Broadcast and Motion graphics is a huge business as it is usually needed in some fashion for nearly every type of visually presented media 
now and going forward.
Maxon has been a dominant player in that realm for many years now
so I would not call it a mistake.

IMHO They may as well focus on improving the user experience in much discussed areas of VPR and perhaps modeling such as making
the complete removal of all lingering verts when a face is deleted the default.

I honestly dont see how they could possibly catch up to a powerhouse like Houdini in the area of film quality VFX ,in One release
or jump to the Level of Autodesk Maya in the area of scalable Character animation and motion retargeting in one release either.
Certainly not to a degree that C4D R20 could actually supplant either of those apps in  anyones VFX or CA pipelines.

reply share thread