OpenCL and openGL support will be deprecated in OSX 10.14

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
What Woolridge said.

This is a bigger problem for game makers in general but I don't have any concerns about Adobe and MAXON specifically (or Affinity), especially given MAXON's comments in this thread (thanks Glen and Srek). I think for plugin makers it might take an extra cycle to move their OpenCL stuff to Metal (i.e. we probably won't see it this fall if their release cycles happen to be this fall), but for anyone who is already doing hybrid OpenCL / Metal as an option for Mac users, they're just going to go all-in on Metal. Black Magic is another one.

This is arguably a typical "arrogant Apple" move, once again dropping an API they used to tout all the time (OpenCL) but never did much with, for a "shiny new" API. But I believe Apple is more serious this time around about Metal given their plans with eGPU, and potentially their own GPUs down the road. Interesting times. But yeah I'd be pissed if I were a game developer.

2 Weeks Ago
This is interesting:
https://twitter.com/otoy/status/100...1463118849?s=21
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1425897
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cinema4D/c..._gpu_rendering/

Last edited by mustardseed : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:59 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
The blender devs did not react positively to the deprecation of Open GL.

With all the amazing work they are doing on their evee engine, I wonder if blender Mac users will be forced to boot into windows to stay current with this incredible, real time viewport/renderer? The latest updates are impressive. I feel like Cinema 4d is part way there and I would KILL to see this level of quality from the C4d viewport! Of course I'd have to get a lot better to approach this quality, but I'm working towards that goal.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: The blender devs did not react positively to the deprecation of Open GL.

With all the amazing work they are doing on their evee engine, I wonder if blender Mac users will be forced to boot into windows to stay current with this incredible, real time viewport/renderer? The latest updates are impressive. I feel like Cinema 4d is part way there and I would KILL to see this level of quality from the C4d viewport! Of course I'd have to get a lot better to approach this quality, but I'm working towards that goal.

This is one of the most immediately visible areas of negative impact for creatives, long-term anyway. Blender 2.8 and 3.0 will probably still work on macOS for a while because it will be at least 2-3 years before they actually remove support (different from deprecating it). And they've haven't touched their OpenGL implementation in years anyway so it doesn't matter in that stretch. But long term either someone has to make MoltenGL support something other than OpenGL ES or Blender will become a PC only application. Unless they get a Metal programmer in the Blender org, which is always possible. WIll depend on demand and the amount of noise made I guess.

Also that ^^ video is flippin' amazing.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Also that ^^ video is flippin' amazing.
Yup. I'm holding out hope that Maxon does something similar. That quality is enough for my needs.

reply share thread