Da Vinci the 3d artist, our Brother

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Every Century a handful of geniuses are born. Most are destroyed by society - even today. The ones who make it have a dogged determination to do great things even if nobody supports them.

This is why geniuses are often described as being highly idiosyncratic - your average person who doesn't try nearly as hard to do great things sees them that way.

I highly recommend reading this book if you want to encounter a super-genius:

I read this book years ago. It is stunning how much Tesla achieved in one lifetime.

Agree and might I add: 

06 June 2018
More rumination on Da Vinci as 3d artist...

-Leonardo was a 3d Printer!

He injected hot wax into the brain of an ox, creating a cast of the animal’s ventricles. This is the first known use of a solidifying medium to define the shape and size of an internal body structure.

06 June 2018
Da Vinci  is famous for his to-do lists and fortunately for us they were recorded in his many journals.

Amongst the countless items:
-Make (capture) the motion of a humming bird’s tongue
- Secure the head/jaws of a crocodile for study

Indeed, understanding, illustrating and explaining natural phenomena — especially nature’s movement — was far more interesting to Da Vinci than was his painting.

This is the heart and mind of a penultimate animator.

06 June 2018
DaVinci would have been an advocate of interactive 3d and VR in education.

He argued that his anatomical visualizations were superior to anything preceding them *because* they allowed students to study from a variety of visual angles/perspectives. He knew — more than anyone — how vantage point and varying that view enhances understanding.

Da Vinci would often sketch or paint things repeatedly from different angles. The notion — and superiority — of 360 learning would have been something he’d be immediately appreciated.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 10:52 PM.

06 June 2018
One exciting opportunity for 3d artists is info-graphics.

Long before info-graphics were popularized, Da Vinci practiced and perfected  the medium.

He would combine measurement, visualization, description, analysis and instruction with greater effect than any who preceded him. 

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 10:51 PM.

06 June 2018
what the heck is this thread?
Clicked out of curiosity. I thought it was something to do with davinci resolve <>C4D.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: what the heck is this thread?
Clicked out of curiosity. I thought it was something to do with davinci resolve <>C4D.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

It’s an exploration of a man who’s work, IMO, was a pre-digital precursor to virtually all the things we do with c4d. I’m beyond fascinated and inspired. I guess it’s not your cup of tea.

I’ve long ago learned and accepted that different people have different views on why forums like this exist. Some people just want to learn features of an app. Some have broader interests and view potential discussion like a European salon of professional peers (where intellectuals would once gather and discuss ideas).

Not your thing, I guess. See ya.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 08:49 AM.

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by Bullit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvius

Vitruvius’ Work had a lot of influence on DaVinci and his career path.

06 June 2018
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=380

The thing is  Icecaveman, this IS a software focused forum. Thats its purpose. Or used to be. :(
I really thought at first glance  this was about Davinci--the software package  assuming some new connection to Maxon C4D (the title of the forum)  and when I started reading  became confused and found it kind of funny--like "huh?"

Anyway its a free forum with no rules so I guess anything  goes. 

06 June 2018
It is a dedicated CG forum, but if there are comments that drive useful discourse and provide inspiration – we're supposed to be artists after all, not just app operators –  where's the harm?

06 June 2018
Of course theres no harm. I just found it a bit odd and pretty far off from what this forum is about. I've had my fair share of off topic forum contributions in the past as well, but overall I try to keep things pertinent to c4d or at least software and hardware we all  use. But by all means enjoy!  

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=380

The thing is  Icecaveman, this IS a software focused forum. Thats its purpose. Or used to be. :(
I really thought at first glance  this was about Davinci--the software package  assuming some new connection to Maxon C4D (the title of the forum)  and when I started reading  became confused and found it kind of funny--like "huh?"

Anyway its a free forum with no rules so I guess anything  goes. 

I know this is a long-running issue you’ve had with some of my posts. I’m not trying to annoy you! I like you and respect your work and contributions here!

Seems to me a lot of the most active threads we’ve had here are related to peripheral topics. If these kinds of discussions were obscuring or distracting from c4d-feature-specific threads...I’d understand. But we often only have two or three new threads a day.

I believe c4d work can be enhanced by the broader art community, an occasional exploration of  architecture, history, modern trends, related tools, good hardware choices, etc.

We have much in common here as c4d users...but some of us are convergent thinkers, some divergent...some more literal/concrete...some more abstract. I believe the variety enriches.

If we had a formal mod—or if there was a clear forum consensus... I’d honor that guidance. I suppose we’ll just need to disagree on this...agreeably. :-)

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 07:34 PM.

06 June 2018
I’ll briefly depart from the theme of Da Vinci as pre-digital 3d artist...and discuss him as an artist and professional.

Leonardo benefitted from—and suffered with—a restless mind. Professionally he completed few of his commissionings, much to the consternation of his patrons. He wanted more to study and learn than to create and perform. But this wandering intellectual exploration sometimes burst forth in his art. 

Amidst the countless hours Leonardo spent studying anatomy, he spent a fair bit of time examining lips...both human lips and those of several animals. Lip anatomy is a PITA. There are a myriad of tiny muscles that work in complementary and opposing ways. He sketched his findings and made observational notes. He examined how the muscles were connected to nerves and to the brain. He compared human lips with those of other animals. He determined what muscles created the appearance of anger, sadness, surprise....

From a professional standpoint...with client work long overdue....Da Vinci had gone rogue again. His critics were — and are — completely valid in deriding, “Irresponsible” “Chasing rabbits” “Distracted”. Imagine what the man might have accomplished had he been more focused!? We might wonder.

Shortly after this study he completed the Mona Lisa and history’s most beguiling grin.

Perhaps it is true what some suggest, that the painting is to some degree...a self portrait. And perhaps the complex grin has a name: “The Delight of Distraction”

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 02:54 AM.

06 June 2018
Imagine if a societal force policed Da Vinci... “Leo...stay on point...back to work NOW...I don’t want any LIP outta you.”

He might have made more money. Completed more work...

With No lip.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 06 June 2018 at 12:17 AM.

reply share thread