What are you missing when it comes to modelling inside C4D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by unclebob: doesn't the bridge tool do this?

Unless I miss something, the bridge tool in C4D works only on edge-to-edge, not on the whole edge loop. But maybe I'm wrong.
Also, in the gifs I posted there are other neat features. For instance, you can create geometry connecting two points, or even place single points in space and connect them later(I didn't show the latter in the gifs though).
Or you can duplicate or add geometry in the edit mode, again I don't think that's possible in C4D, but please, correct me if I'm wrong. The way I do it in C4D is by connecting two geometries first.

Last edited by dsp_418 : 1 Week Ago at 04:40 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by dsp_418: Unless I miss something, the bridge tool in C4D works only on edge-to-edge, not on the whole edge loop. But maybe I'm wrong.

There is Stitch & Sew tool in C4D which make it. Just hold shift while bridging edges.

1 Week Ago
To get back to my earlier suggestion.
Here a video of it and imo the #1 reason Modo is still the best modeller (it's not its tools, it's the speed you can work in).

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by E2GO: There is Stitch & Sew tool in C4D which make it. Just hold shift while bridging edges.

With the risk of going a little OT (sorry in that case), I don't think Stitch & Sew is quite the same thing. After using it, one edge loop disappears and there's no option to tweak what in Blender is called twist.
Anyway, maybe I'll start another thread if necessary, the point is, many other partsof the workflow are not there. I would love to see the same workflow in C4D, it's the only reason I have to switch to another 3D software when the modeling task is a little more demanding. Oh, and the unwrapping scenario, but that's definitely OT

1 Week Ago
Its really annoying to model in C4D, although It has some nice tools like the knife, the interface is a mess: Solo button is not very good (three clicks and in maya just press ctrl+1), you cant hide polygons, frame all doesnt work all the time (maya use a smart frame one button "f" wich automatically switchs based on your selection), move local / along normal is hidden in the options menu of the transform tool, sometimes you need to select an object, sometimes you change to paint selection, or rectangle, too many clicks for everyday actions. In maya if you click is single selection, if you press hold it draws a rectangle. Simple as that. To snap to a grid, first you activate the snap, then you select the grid, again, Maya just press X.

And thats the basics of modeling, is a little annoying workflow that wont change no matter how many tools they add over time. I had to redo my entire shortcut, but I got problems with plugins like Cycles because of it, and please dont mention Magic Solo. It has a bug with x-particles, when you use magic solo, all your particle emitters get deactivated.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
I agree with many of these comments, but to clarify, you can hide polygons. Select the polys, then got to Selected>Hide Selected. Cumbersome, but it works. You can also use the shortcut menu with the "v" key, and then choose the selection heading.

1 Week Ago
C4D has some good modeling commands but they are hit by other cumbersome commands and options and disparate tolls that were piled on. So the sum of all parts feels and is of much lesser value.
And who at this time still accepts that while deleting a polygon the points remain to make a mess?

For example the M tool in Softimage is very good and works well with other parts of modeling.

1 Week Ago
C4D has most things to get the job done regarding modelling, however coming from Modo there where a few things that struck me right away. The following are what I expect Maxon to bring to the table, not 3rd party plugins, but it certainly helps to have the plugin options. I still prefer the feel of C4D for modelling, it feels more intuitive despite the tools not on par with Modo.

1: Lack of modelling symmetry. All this splitting the mesh in half is a old school way of working with symmetry, its Uv destructive, and does not allow for later tweaking once you have committed to making it editable.

2: Simple copy and paste using Ctrl + C. Ctrl + V. This is a common short cut in most apps and one I was used to use in all 3d apps to extract parts in seconds. This is often used when a part of a model is copied to be pasted into a new mesh to build additional parts that fit but is not welded to the current mesh. Spit commands, not intuitive at all.

3: In Modo we have Action Centers, the ability to model off the placement or orientation of any element such as a vert, polygon, or edge. C4D has its own methods but seems limited to moving its pivot via the Axis Tool while having to access the snapping. The Axis options do not include per selection from its own normal. For instance fast extrude rotate multiple polygons according to their own normal placing the tool handle on the closest object to camera while performing the actions on multiple selections or multiple objects. In Modo this action center is called Local and will work from the local selection of multiple polygons on a per polygon basis. The closest thing to this in C4D is found in a separate (Normal Move, scale, and rotation) tool set from the main Move, Scale, and rotation, not very intuitive or easy to access and still does not respond as a global axis point for other modeling functions such as bevel, extrude.

4: Bridge fill. C4D has no auto quad fill, or ability to bridge intelligently from a multiple selection of edges adding the slices automatically.

6: Left over verts. The optimise button is used now like its an excepted part of C4D workflow, why keep verts from deleted faces, just auto delete them?

Dan

1 Week Ago
Freeform, brush-based volumetric Voxel or Pointcloud modeling and sculpting + a good realtime GPU accelerated polygon mesher for this would be fabulous for modeling curved, organic, irregular and volumetric stuff. Everything from human hands and faces to a puffy volumetric cloud with interior structures.

When polygon modeling on computers was pioneered decades ago, the whole thing was about creating something - straight pixel lines and filled polygons - that even a 1Mhz 8-bit CPU could draw to the screen in an acceptable time. Creating little vertices connected by straight lines was the way to do it back then. Later the polygon itself could be filled in quickly with color pixels in real time. The math was simple. The RAM use was low. Not many elaborate calculations were needed to do it. Voxels, pointclouds, NURBS or anything at all calculation/RAM intensive was out of the question back then. The computers back then simply were not nearly fast enough to handle that in realtime.

Polygons were chosen simply for the high speed at which they could be drawn to screen with available hardware, and not because they are a particularly good way to model anything more complex than a matchbox or a boxy little spaceship with triangle fins as seen in old 3D space games from the 1980s. Think Elite or Starglider.

Polygons also were not designed to survive into 2018 and be used for things like complex organic modeling of living creatures like Tigers in movies, or CAD/NURBS/Solids style curved modeling.

A lot of stuff you find in nature, you'd probably want to model with a Voxel or pointcloud based modeling approach, or similar, not polys or even NURBS.

Everybody laughed at the Euclideon people when they pioneered a voxel/point-rendering/atom rendering type engine. But they got funded big time and have several products on the market now:

1 Week Ago
I highly recommend playing Claybook on Steam (I think its 20 USD or so to buy) if you want to see what a modern Voxel-engine can do:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/661920/Claybook/

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: 6: Left over verts. The optimise button is used now like its an excepted part of C4D workflow, why keep verts from deleted faces, just auto delete them?

Dan
I'm in the modeling section of my C4d class right now and this baffles me.

1 Week Ago
This is probably going to sound extremely nerdy.
But the biggest thing I'm missing in C4D is modern SDK GUI controls. Or at least direct support for Qt GUI's within the application itself so I can dock Qt based dialogs in it. And use them in Node based plugins.
I cant think of any thing else I'd really want or need.

Nerd alert!

-ScottA

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I'm in the modeling section of my C4d class right now and this baffles me.

I am using a free plugin called "clean delete"
with my old version version of C4D studio.
Quite surprised to see that clean deleting of verts with faces is still not native in the newer versions.

Just curious, is Cubic interpolation(autoclamping)
the default in the latest C4D graph editor??
or do we still have to manually clamp spline curves to avoid
the utterly ruinous overshoot that no one would actually need to occur along their spline graph when animating??

1 Week Ago
Sketchup style push pull extrude tool. So you can extrude outwards and also inwards without issue and also extruding back through a volume to create a clean hole through the solid. I just dont know why this sort of modelling is more common place in the DCC apps.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Sketchup style push pull extrude tool. So you can extrude outwards and also inwards without issue and also extruding back through a volume to create a clean hole through the solid. I just dont know why this sort of modelling is more common place in the DCC apps.

Because the major DCC apps are, today, all about making profit. Not so much about "giving you as much convenience and artistic power" as is actually technically possible.

If something is missing so badly that it would kill the sales of the DCC app - i.e. people will switch to a competing app if X feature isn't there - it tends to get added pretty damn quick.

But if what you are asking for does not impact sales much, or only 5,000 powerusers out of 150,000 total are even aware it is possible, then you may have to wait 5 years to get that feature.

For example, a fair number of research at one point was all about turning 2D-sketching input with a pen tablet into rough 3D models quickly. Good for very quickly blocking out a 3D model with a few seconds of 2D sketching.

Not a single one of the major 3D apps made use of any of this research or pushed it further.

They damned everyone to continue working with old-fashioned polygon box-modeling techniques instead. Create a cube. Extrude face. Make a cut. Subdivide. And so on and so forth...

reply share thread