Is an AMD RX580 a worthy upgrade for an HD5770 in Mac Pro 5,1 for C4D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2018
I'm selling a Nvidia 980. If anyone wants to make an offer...or ask about the card....send me a PM.

I've been buying up stuff at Unity asset store...a bit too eagerly and I have 6 GPU†

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 05 May 2018 at 07:01 PM.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by kromekat: I'll actually be going from the same machine specs as you - 12 core 2.66 to 12 core 3.46! - it's currently running 48Gb of RAM as well, so I would imagine thats enough! - although, I do have 2 free slots, so I guess I could take it up to 64Gb!?

Did you do the CPU upgrade yourself? - I've been looking it up online, and it looks a lot easier than I thought it might be!

What GPU are you running in your machine btw?
Hey Adam -

I did not do the upgrade myself. I was put in touch with a guy in LA who will either take your MacPro tray and upgrade it, or send an upgraded tray that you swap out and send back to him. It does seem pretty easy to do the CPU upgrade yourself, but this guy does hundreds of upgrades and guarantees the work. I only have one workstation, and could not afford any down time or problems. It's been about a year since I upgraded and all is well!

One note: I got the upgraded tray with 64Gb RAM and initially†my MacPro wasn't recognizing all of the RAM SIMMS. Zapping the PRAM fixed that.

I also upgraded my video card to a Radeon R9 280X with 3Gb RAM. Not sure that did much to speed things up, but it's fine for now. If I decide to try Octane 4 when it is released for MacOS, I may re-think the video card.

http://www.activateyourimage.com

05 May 2018
I contemplated that kind of service, but its about 3x the cost, and until I saw the procedure, I wasn't aware of how relatively simple it should be. It would certainly make more sense going from a single CPU tray to a dual though.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

05 May 2018
Another possible upgrade you may consider, if you haven't done it already is to get an SSD as a boot drive. It has made my workflow very much faster, and you can use it in any future build. I did spend a good chunk and got a 1TB SSD 3 years ago but haven't looked back since.

05 May 2018
Athanasios,

Yes, I did put a 240Gb in as my boot drive some years ago, which was all I could afford at the time. Itís been enough to hold the system and apps, but my user folder resides on a standard SATA HDD, so Iím definitely not feeling the full benefit of the speed, other than in booting and app launch.
Iíve been looking at replacing it with a larger volume now that prices are far more favourable, as my Maxon folder alone is pretty enormous!
Definitely a recommended upgrade though!

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

05 May 2018
I installed my pair of Xeon 3.46s today, †and just ran Cinebench.
iíve gained an extra 350+ CPU points, which will definitely be handy for rendering!
The single CPU speedup doesnít seem to have made a great deal of difference to the OGL, but that wasnít much of a surprise.

Happy for the render boost anyway!†

Adam†

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Last edited by kromekat : 05 May 2018 at 05:51 PM.

05 May 2018
If I may ask, what's your multithreaded CB rendering score now?

05 May 2018
You may! - anywhere between 1584 and 1598 on the few runs I have done. Previous CPU's scores were between 1217-1264 earlier today.

It's not a massive gain of course, but it all helps!

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

05 May 2018
thank you!

reply share thread