Unity Learning Expedition Round 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: I was a Director (though not Flash) guy at one point as well. Loved ShockWave3D to pieces - worked really well with C4D export as well way back then - then Adobe came along and wrecked Director immediately after buying Macromedia.

Idiots. Idiots. Idiots. ShockWave3D could easily have evolved into something like Unity or UnrealEngine over time. All they needed to do is keep up with new DirectX/OpenGL capabilities and create an optional compiler for the interpreted Lingo scripting language so it executes faster. SW3D even had fast Havok physics back then in 2001 or so.

Today, Shockwave3D would probably have dominated Android and iOS games and been very strong online and in the cloud as well. Even multiplayer over internet was possible with ShockWave3D back then.

Aaarggh Adobe... just aaarggh... what a crap company it has turned into.

Btw, I didn't come from Vue. I go back as far as VideoScape 3D.

My first 3d program was InfiniD and then Bryce.

Time for me to start posting Unity samples today.

Edit: ok...I mean it. Some stuff will be up sometime before Wed morning.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:12 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
I'm going to post an image and let you consider what it might be. Obviously it's a map/channel designed to be combined with other channels. But what is it used for?

If no one can answer...I'll answer Thursday.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 07:54 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
I've used Particle systems for over a decade. Like many of you, I fell in love with them back when Trapcode blew up in the After Effects world.

This week I've begun to revisit particles in a new context, Unity. I've been surprised to learn new angles and possibilities:

-Take c4d/ae/xp effects into Unity as sprite sheets (or movies)...then employ in particle systems
-Build 100% native Unity particle systems

But there's more:
Cross-polinate. I hope to take tricks I learn in Unity and employ those tricks with my particle work when using C4d/xP and in After Effects.

In later posts I'll explain what a few of those tricks might be.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 03:36 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
First...for those that don't know...what's a sprite sheet?

Consider a sequence of images in different paradigms...
-A layered photoshop document
-A Final Cut, Premiere or AE timeline where one 'image' is sequenced after another sequentially.
-A rendered sequence sitting in a folder in your hard drive

In the game world to optimize performance you can have a sequence of images all layed out on a grid in one image. That's a sprite sheet and It looks like this:

Obviously this is quite useful in 2d games. But it can be used in lots of ways and it's often used with particles.

I used c4d/X-Particles to create a probe. The object spins while the inner sphere has an animated texture and little flares emit from corners of the object. For convenience I will refer to it as, "EyeQ".

I exported this into After Effects and Used a script called 'Sheetah' to generate a sprite sheet. Here's a portion of the sprite sheet. (Yes there is alpha). My original intention is to have EyeQ display about 3x larger than what you see here.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:45 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
So how did the "EyeQ" probe turn out in Unity?

VIDEO LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ch4jpnea8kwm5w/eyeQ.mp4?dl=0

Not bad, eh? No viewer would have any idea that it's a series of flat graphics on a plane.The video is super compressed and dropbox video playback isn't helping. Looks pretty clean in Unity.

I spent very little time creating the asset. Use your c4d skill...any skills with x-particles, mograph, turbulenceFD. It can play well in the Engine.

I animated EyeQ's position up and then over and moved around to see it from different viewing angles, testing believability. Storage requirement for the graphic sequence was a mere 1.7 MB

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:39 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
I want to try more w/imported x-Particles. But need to focus next on working w/ Unity's native particle systems.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Roughed up a little waterfall scene from scratch though the waterfall particles (3 sub-systems) were largely derived from a free asset from Unity Inc. Studied the composition.

I'll do a break down tomorrow. For now...an image and video. The splash and mist are probably a bit heavy-handed.

VIDEO:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kmbyplzy...erFall.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 11:36 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Back to this:

It's a 4-sprite normal map for a cloud particle system. What surprised me this week was to see how sprite sequences are not limited to standard graphics but can include other channels/maps like normals. I suppose I'd assumed normal maps are only good for "solid things." Below is video of result. This is from a free pack of samples from Unity.

The normal maps really add dimensionality, esp. with clever lighting.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7gmaghcp.../storm.mov?dl=0

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 09:31 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Here's another normal map sprite sheet. What I need to discover is how best to generate these. B2M works with still images and would likely work here, though I doubt that's the best way.

2 Weeks Ago
A journal note for later...possible exploration. Must table this for now.

-Maybe derive useful normals from a VDB?
-Could c4d's material normal channel with noise or layer shader be useful?
-x-Particles material has an option for normals,"When checked, the material calculates a normal based on the density value." (from manual)

Off to chase lower hanging fruit.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 03:38 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Learning/Practice example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqbn087pc...actPtc.mp4?dl=0

2 Weeks Ago
Next up a twisted creative challenge, named:
THE FINAL FOURTH OF JULY
A celebration of lights that ends really dark

I will portray a fourth of july fireworks show...tragically co-opted by a terrorist.

Particle System 1 will throw up some typical 4th of july rockets arching up...that will spawn system 2
System 2 is typical "ooh and ahh" night-time color bursts...but as those sub-particles fall to earth they will spawn on collision...
System 3...remnants of the orignal fireworks collide with the earth...and carpet bombing ensues

Am I bright enough? Dark enough? Silly enough?

Edit: Isn't the term "spawn" ripe and juicy for a demented narrative? And damn, "spawn on collision"...one could take that language to a Hollywood pitch. (or to a bedroom, hehe).

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 09:19 AM.

1 Week Ago
I need to learn some particle scripting to achieve the 'Final Fourth' Will still try to do it.

In the meantime, built some fire. Created after going thru a Unity tutorial but humbly think that my version looks less cartoony.

Fire Video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt53lna8w7d6u98/fire.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 07:19 AM.

1 Week Ago
Unity can emit mesh particles. Obviously the lack of physics beyond simple collision limit use and this isn't a great example, but have seen it used effectively.

Video of a test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4hhdzgud...n_Mesh.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 07:20 AM.

1 Week Ago
Player Directed Particles:
-Obviously particle system parented to paint gun
-Must Use World Space
-Emission Shape turned off, thus emitting from single point
-Particle Speed turned off in lieu of Velocity over lifetime
-Here collisions are turned on (no dampening)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7cggssqo...ticles.mp4?dl=0

reply share thread