R20 expectations?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
For R20 I think we all know the likely big features that are coming.

I would also like to see
-We have AE and Illustrator links. How about live links into PowerPoint—which now features 3d?
-Live inter-change with Unity, like AutoDesk has now
-Export to web (glTF, WebVR, etc)

3 Weeks Ago
Always forgot to mention: export selected for .obj.
Could be great also to have assigning takes feature for .fbx animations.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by E2GO: Always forgot to mention: export selected for .obj.
Yes  I agree, would make me happy too.

2 Weeks Ago
I gave myself the best new feature ever today with one click when I realized that I somehow had turned off (for who knows how long) OpenGL in my viewport. 

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by E2GO: Always forgot to mention: export selected for .obj.
"CV-smart export"  on Cineversity

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by lancemoody: I gave myself the best new feature ever today with one click when I realized that I somehow had turned off (for who knows how long) OpenGL in my viewport. 

I did that too a few months ago. Turned it off when testing something and forgot to turn it back on. Doh!

In addition to a “make it pretty button” we need a “make me smarter” button.  

2 Weeks Ago
We're getting close now. Less than two months away (in theory) from the revealing of what we all hope will be a big, bad-ass release. Must admit I am pretty excited for this release though trying like always to keep my expectations in check. Also, if it is a big announcement, I won't be surprised if the actual release date is later than normal, maybe closer to the end of the year. Fine with it if it brings a bunch of the big improvements people have asked for.

Wonder if MAXON will bust out a couple teasers before SIGGRAPH. Little viral mayhem.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I did that too a few months ago. Turned it off when testing something and forgot to turn it back on. Doh!

In addition to a “make it pretty button” we need a “make me smarter” button.  
At least that means the CPU OpenGL emulation is working well ;-)

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: I won't be surprised if the actual release date is later than normal, maybe closer to the end of the year. 

Because of the MSA, I'm not sure if they'd want to do this for legal reasons - as there would be some users who purchased their MSA in the fall (assuming they'd get R20 as part of the deal) and now they wouldn't. 

That said, the fact that there's still an R19.068 release still to come does suggest that R20 might be a little later. 

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: That said, the fact that there's still an R19.068 release still to come does suggest that R20 might be a little later. 
Is it? Or is that just a conjecture from that screenshot of someone who has that version installed? Because it may be a developers/testers-only version that is not meant to be distributed to the public.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Cairyn: Is it? Or is that just a conjecture from that screenshot of someone who has that version installed? Because it may be a developers/testers-only version that is not meant to be distributed to the public.

Just conjecture from Matthew's video.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: For R20 I think we all know the likely big features that are coming.

I would also like to see
-We have AE and Illustrator links. How about live links into PowerPoint—which now features 3d?
-Live inter-change with Unity, like AutoDesk has now

I would actually use live link into Powerpoint. I hate saying I would use it... but I can't escape the gravitational pull of MS office at my job.

I have not touched unity in some time. When I did use it, it was Mac only and it opened C4d files natively (or almost natively). It doesn't do that anymore?

I'm still in my learning/re-learning phase of C4d and I'm finishing up some classes. But I recently tried pro-render on the 7700k iMac. I was surprised at how long it took to compile and render to picture viewer. But when I did the interactive viewport thing, it was decently fast even for my basic 580 GPU (the coffee bean scene gave me good enough feedback for lighting).  I really want to see leaps in speed for ProRender because of the integration and Apple's support for AMD GPUs (there I go again asking Maxon for Mac specific crap).

I really think Pro Render needs more frequent updates. At the very least one with each major point release, and an update around the 6 month mark. I see examples of the latest release of pro-render apart from C4d and I get excited for the future. But it needs more updates per year than we are getting. The potential is there, I think.

If that matures and gets x-particle support, I'm all in with some AMD GPUs or back to waiting for Otoy to release their Mac friendly, metal-based version of Octane.

2 Weeks Ago
^Unity has updated their FBX version a few times over the years. More often than Maxon.
When you upgrade Unity. You will eventually lose the ability to open .c4d files. And you can even  lose the ability to open .fbx files in Unity. This was one reason why I wrote my own FBX exporter for R13.
Unity and Maxon are on two different update schedules. And the Maxon<-->Unity stuff tends to be a low priority. So when Unity updates, the C4D stuff tends to get wacked.

As far as PP goes.
If PP has an SDK that is the ability to import things. Then anyone should be able to write a PP<--->C4D pipeline without needing Maxon to do it.

-ScottA

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: ^Unity has updated their FBX version a few times over the years. More often than Maxon.
When you upgrade Unity. You will eventually lose the ability to open .c4d files. And you can even  lose the ability to open .fbx files in Unity. This was one reason why I wrote my own FBX exporter for R13.
Unity and Maxon are on two different update schedules. And the Maxon<-->Unity stuff tends to be a low priority. So when Unity updates, the C4D stuff tends to get wacked.

As far as PP goes.
If PP has an SDK that is the ability to import things. Then anyone should be able to write a PP<--->C4D pipeline without needing Maxon to do it.

-ScottA

When I suggested c4d/Ppoint link I did second guess myself. I mean you can export to FBX and import into PowerPoint right now. So I’m not sure what benefits could be gained for we c4d veterans.

But from Maxon’s standpoint it could be a huge marketing boon to do what they did with Adobe. Offer a free, limited version that operates right within PowerPoint. PowerPoint does have a plug-in architecture. I don’t know how much work would be required...or if it’s possible.

2 Weeks Ago
On the other hand, who wants to be the 3d app that gets associated with power point?

reply share thread