R20 expectations?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
@czarnyrobert your website only runs on a 55" screen. On a normal, or in my case a 27" screen, the top menu falls off the edge and the left menu is half the screen. Safari, Chrome, Opera, firefox etc etc.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Maxon pretty much did things backwards when they got bought by a German CAD company.

Instead of working on updated rendering features, new physics (e.g. fluids, destruction physics), powerful new character animation features, game-engine integration and similar, they tried to make C4D an archviz/productviz and motion graphics, broadcast graphics tool instead.
Not every 3d app has to be aimed towards FX and movies. I work in broadcast and motion graphics and Im happy with Maxon. For animation / FX there is quite a few options in the market.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
C4D interaction model is the worse thing.
If they can't fix it they can't expect much new users because the mainstream paradigm is elsewhere.
Spline tools is also severely affected by it
Selection/Deleting/Moving with Softimage was very simple. With C4D is a wastage of time not even a way to delete a polygon with points in the scene forcing the artists to repeat the process. This a sort of ballpark for me to see if Maxon know what people do or not.

The only luck some 3D DCC have is that Blender is awkward too, but it is changing and time is running out.

Edit: about R20
The release of some Cineversity plugins shows that C4D is still in the specific tools for this and for that and not as integrated.
Maybe Prod.working ProRender
I expect it to better handling of many objects otherwise would not make sense what they are doing - or should be considered a failure.
If viewport capabilities are not open to other render engines i would also consider it a failure.

Last edited by Bullit : 1 Week Ago at 11:06 PM.

1 Week Ago
@ Birdy, just use Ctrl+- keys to scale down the website to your screen resolution and system scaling. (or Ctrl+mouse wheel)

If you have 4K resolution, and display scaling set to 100% then you should get the proper view
If you have 4K resolution but have set scaling to let say 200%, then you need to scale down in the browser to 50%
If you have HD resolution and scaling set to 100% then once again you need to scale down to 50%
Display diameter has no impact - just screen resolution and scaling settings.

Sorry, my web design skills are pretty basic - I looked into the subject how to scale websites to any screen size, but it was too complex.
In future, if this site could generate some income, I could pay someone to make it work on any screen size.

I will try to increase font size, so people using small screens could get a better view.

1 Week Ago
If youre not great with websites, try an automated system like wordpress. Just enter your content, anme some menus and it handles resizing everything to other screens for you.

If not, generally assume a maximum resolution of about 1280 wide for a webpage, at least then everyone can see it. Keep in mind, most people don't know about zooming in and out on web pages.

1 Week Ago
@ imashination : I'll check the wordpress option, however, I doubt that I would abandon the current design.

CINEWEX website was designed for CG pros, not for sissies, nor general public

I expect that someone proficient enough to use C4D, should know the basic browser commands.
If not, they will get a chance to learn this very useful Ctrl+- feature thanks to my website
I'll investigate the possibility to make my website more usable for people still using low-rez screens.
Nevertheless, I recommend to anyone doing CG to buy a large 4K display - it was the best hardware update I ever made.
Even with HD display I often got into situations when display real estate was too small, with 4K you get 4x HD display area.
Total game-changer, and today such screens are affordable.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by czarnyrobert: I'll investigate the possibility to make my website more usable for people still using low-rez screens.
Nevertheless, I recommend to anyone doing CG to buy a large 4K display - it was the best hardware update I ever made.

It doesn't fit on my 30" screen or my 4k screen... Next time I project something on the side of a building I'd give it a test and let you know

1 Week Ago
@ imashination : if you set a higher scaling to your 4K screen than 100%, then obviously the website will be also scaled up, and won't completely fit to your screen.
Try setting scaling to 100% and then it should fit.
If you decide to have higher scaling, the only option is to compensate it in your web browser, by scaling it down.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by czarnyrobert: @ imashination : if you set a higher scaling to your 4K screen than 100%, then obviously the website will be also scaled up, and won't completely fit to your screen.
Try setting scaling to 100% and then it should fit.
If you decide to have higher scaling, the only option is to compensate it in your web browser, by scaling it down.

This is completely off topic at this point, and I'm sorry for adding to the off topic subject, but these windows scale settings have little to do with your site being designed too large. You should target around 1200 pixels as your width (or smaller). I have 3 computers, all various resolutions with their monitors and NONE of them allow me to see your full interface except the one with the 4K monitor on it. Just trying to help you out.

1 Week Ago
+1 to all thoughts about that native page width being about 250% wider than it should be. lol

Web design 101: even if you assume your audience has wide screens, don't assume they cover the entire screen with their browser when they're reading web pages. Very few people browse in full-screen mode.I actually am very interested to read it (thank you for creating it), but on standard 24" 1920x1200 or 27" 2560x1440 display, it is completely pointless. Scaling down with browser controls causes the page to split apart / not render correctly.

If you're not a web guru, WordPress or other free service is your friend.

And now back to our regularly scheduled C4D feature-angst.

Last edited by Blinny : 1 Week Ago at 09:06 PM.

1 Week Ago
for the weebsite:

- I wouldn't advice someone with a 21:9 Monitor to design a fixed webpage for that aspect ratio either.
- A pitty, because the content of the webpage is fantastic, but unfortunately hardly usable.
- obviously people are talking about the unusable website design more than about the content.

C4D:
- the older I get the less I am distracted by the downsides of cinema. especially since I made a deep look into Blender.
of corse there are quite a view limitations, even bugs that bother me once in a while, but the fact, that cinema 4d is more or less a logical system, that reuses paradigms in many places, is fantastic. For me the ease of use is the best feature by far. Cinema is also quite parametric and that is super handy if you have to correct things or stay flexible.
these two things alone will keep me using cineema.

wishes for R20?:
- faster objecthandling (killer)
- rewrite of TRS (really needs to be done, I would prefer use NET over the actual state)
- massive prorender update with great speed increese as it is so faar behind the competition, that it doesn't make any sense (or abandon it and implement cycles natively)
- getting rid of old bugs and limitations (f.e. even spline interpolation is broken since R6 or so) (strange bahaviour with physical, motionblur and objects blended in and out) and many, many more.
- volumetrics
- fast sketch and toon

and many more

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: - getting rid of old bugs and limitations (f.e. even spline interpolation is broken since R6 or so) (strange bahaviour with physical, motionblur and objects blended in and out) and many, many more.

Whats the spline problem?

1 Week Ago
on regular splines the even spline distribution does not distribute the points evenly. there for cameras or pther objects that are animated on them via tag tend to jerk.
the mospline is not affected by this problem. most probably, because it is much younger.

I din't check it for a while, but the R17 I have here on my laptop still suffers from it.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: on regular splines the even spline distribution does not distribute the points evenly. there for cameras or pther objects that are animated on them via tag tend to jerk.
the mospline is not affected by this problem. most probably, because it is much younger.

I din't check it for a while, but the R17 I have here on my laptop still suffers from it.
I don't remember what version it was, but Maxon did some major upgrading on it's spline tools a few years ago. I cannot say if it's addressed the issue you mention here. But I have no issues with jerking along paths that isn't addressed merely by changing the path mode to B-spline, Akima or Cubic.

1 Week Ago
Can you send a scene file? Everything I try with uniform mode shows a completely uniformly divided spline

reply share thread