New Mac Pro in 2019

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
If you are not interested in Apple products what are you doing in this thread?

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I love the Mac, am using a Mac, and I'm just frustrated at Apple's ability to complicate the building of a Mac Pro.  They say they are "talking to pros" on their needs. How that isn't a tower is beyond me.

Correctamundo. This isn't about hate as one earlier post put it. Most people discussing things in threads like these around the interwebs are doing so because they've been using Macs for many years but are growing beyond the point of frustration to just having this be the last stand. If they make it great, great... we'll all buy one (or more). If they fuck up again, forget it. You can buy extremely powerful, reliable PCs from Puget — and maxing out around $6500 unlike the iMac Pro (and likely next Mac Pro). Doing so is not an act of hate, it's an act of pragmatism. Also their service is fantastic / arguably better and cheaper than Apple's.

Sincerely,
Someone who was using Apple / Mac computers before most people in this forum were born (or if already born, not out of daycare). That fact and the fact that I'm simultaneously on the fence and already pricing rigs at Puget, says something... and it's not "what a knee-jerk Apple-hater." 

Last edited by Blinny : 4 Weeks Ago at 07:29 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
I just spent 30 secs on Puget's site and configured a PC for over $14000. Where do you get the max out price of £6500?

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I just spent 30 secs on Puget's site and configured a PC for over $14000. Where do you get the max out price of £6500?

Depends on exactly what you need for a system. Here's a quick CPU render box for $10K; put in a cheap graphics card and you can bring it down to $9K. Build it yourself, and it gets closer to $6.  

4 Weeks Ago
I could order a 14 core iMac Pro with an arguably better graphics card, built in 10 Gigabit networking, and larger faster storage for $7999 and I get a very good free 5K screen.

Still not seeing how your PC is such a massive bargain?

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I could order a 14 core iMac Pro with an arguably better graphics card, built in 10 Gigabit networking, and larger faster storage for $7999 and I get a very good free 5K screen.

Still not seeing how your PC is such a massive bargain?
Again, it depends on what you need; for your situation I'm sure the iMac Pro is a good fit. For myself, I needed a box that can render 24/7 for weeks at a time & one that I can convert to a 4 GPU render box in a few years if I want to. I'd also like to be able to easily access and swap out components if/when they fail. 

We're all in different work situations that have different needs. For some, the variety of Mac systems fit perfectly. But there's a growing amount of users for whom it simply doesn't

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: The reason I personally dislike Apple is that they always lie to their customers.
This is the very definition of trolling. Please, if you feel compelled to wander into a thread like this and make such a conspicuous non-contribution again, would it be too much to ask for you to just yell it out your back door instead?

4 Weeks Ago
I am a bit curious how many here, are doing the dual boot thing?

Is it still popular or offically supported by Apple??

I only aks because the true reason I made a partial migration to a windows machine was to access certain windows native Character motion software such Iclone Pro and Natural motion Endorphin
I still run Adobe CS & After effects (pre cc versions) and  Final cut pro and My old seat of C4D Studio on My mac
However  My PC is critical to my Character animation work
Anyone here living in both worlds??

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: I am a bit curious how many here, are doing the dual boot thing?

Anyone here living in both worlds??
I have a 5.1 cheesegrater that I dual boot. I use the OSX side to access Rhino and a handful of other Mac only apps I have. I use the WIndows side as a C4D render node, as it allows all my render nodes to be Windows only - which is significantly easier to manage plugin wise.

4 Weeks Ago
it is astounding how fast a mac / pc thread always produces emotions. This is a forum it is about communication and I personally prefere to talk about the tec and less about the feelings. but if people are allowed to talk about their love to apple they should also be allowed to talk about their hate towards apple.

anyway I started my studding before the G4 came out. everyone was using mac, besides me. I was able to buy a computer double the speed for half the money back then, but I had to accepted that not everyone likes to optimize a config.sys or a autoexec.bat. It was the darkest time for apple. the computers were as ugly as pcs and the performance was bad, but the user interface was better than win. with G4, G5 and the pc macs apple improved the style of their products and also the user interface. and while I still had to install a lot of drivers and so on. mac seemed to work flawlessly.
I realized that for some is made sense in paying more to get a better experience. Then Windows cached up with Win 7 and while I dont like win 10 too much, I think that I now have less problems with my system then a lot of mac usuers. They are now the ones that have to care which version and drivers they use to get external graphic cards running and so on. So right now in the moment I have the impression that things have turned the other way round. As back in the day I could't understand window users that sad "windows is as easy and stable to use as mac" I toady can not understand the mac users that say " windows is  instable and so much more complicated to get it running propperly".
PC is uglier, but I think today it is not more complicated or less stable than IOS.

best regards
Jops

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: ... This is a forum it is about communication and I personally prefere to talk about the tec and less about the feelings. but if people are allowed to talk about their love to apple they should also be allowed to talk about their hate towards apple.
The OP was speculating on some possibility of a decent new Mac Pro.  He would like to stay on OSX.  Do you really think people here haven't heard all these pro Windows arguments before?  Why don't you start a "Why I switched to Windows" thread and be able to stay on topic.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: it is astounding how fast a mac / pc thread always produces emotions. This is a forum it is about communication and I personally prefere to talk about the tec and less about the feelings. but if people are allowed to talk about their love to apple they should also be allowed to talk about their hate towards apple.
The commenting rule I try to live by (though I don't always succeed) is to ask myself before I click the submit button is: "Is this a constructive contribution? Is it relevant to OP's question and will it move the discussion forward?" 

Derailing a discussion of a potential new Mac Pro with inflammatory and false claims (e.g. " The reason I personally dislike Apple is that they always lie to their customers.", accusing Apple users of falling victim to Stockholm syndrome) isn't constructive, or responsive to the discussion.

I don't denigrate PCs, PC makers, or PC users. I have to use PCs in my work. I prefer to work mostly on a Mac, for a host of reasons. I have a very strong understanding of their limitations, as well, and I am often baffled or annoyed by Apple's choices with respect to pro desktops. But so far, the reasons (all OS related) to use them don't, for me, make me want to switch. And good faith discussion does not occur when you assume that someone is deluded, or doesn't have solid reasons for their choices, even if they aren't choices that you would make.

I'm not trying to shut down discussion, and I am very happy to see and engage in criticism of Apple's recent decisions. I'm objecting to the OT derailing, implicit ad homs, and vituperative posts.

To be clear, I wasn't accusing you, Jops, of those things, but I was trying to expand on the reason for my previous post.

4 Weeks Ago
unfortunately, without wanting to, i proved how much emotion is still in this discussion. It was not my intention to stir up these emotions. I can't really grasp that, after all, it's all just about computers. It's hard to imagine a craftsman saying to another: "Hey your screwdriver sucks, it's from toolcraft" and I can't imagine the other one getting hurt by it. I just wanted to say that different opinions are part of a discussion.
And since this is a forum everyone can contribute their opinion and experience. 
I am not defending skeebertus message.
I certainly wouldn't have written it that way and I dont like the way he teases apple customers, but one can certainly think about this or that in His statements.
to bring back to mind that Apple has already promised a few times more than it kept. e.g. other graphic card options for the mac pro. This is very relevant when we talk about what to expect from a new Mac pro.
frizz2112 talked about his dilemma of possibly having to buy a PC himself. So of course this is already a thread in which you can share your experiences with mac and pc.
no offence meant and I hope you can read that from my messages.

best regards
Jops

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Jops: unfortunately, without wanting to, i proved how much emotion is still in this discussion. It was not my intention to stir up these emotions. I can't really grasp that, after all, it's all just about computers. It's hard to imagine a craftsman saying to another: "Hey your screwdriver sucks, it's from toolcraft" and I can't imagine the other one getting hurt by it. I just wanted to say that different opinions are part of a discussion.
And since this is a forum everyone can contribute their opinion and experience. 
I am not defending skeebertus message.
I certainly wouldn't have written it that way and I dont like the way he teases apple customers, but one can certainly think about this or that in His statements.
to bring back to mind that Apple has already promised a few times more than it kept. e.g. other graphic card options for the mac pro. This is very relevant when we talk about what to expect from a new Mac pro.
frizz2112 talked about his dilemma of possibly having to buy a PC himself. So of course this is already a thread in which you can share your experiences with mac and pc.
no offence meant and I hope you can read that from my messages.

best regards
Jops

To be even more clear, Jops, even though I quoted you, my post wasn't really directed at you.

I do disagree (very light-heartedly!) with your analogy about criticizing people's tools not getting emotional. Unfortunately, I've seen people do this in many contexts, from people arguing over the best woodworking tools, to software choices. Separating into "teams" seems to be a thing people have an unfortunate tendency to do. I think it has a lot to do with basic cognitive biases we all share, such as the sunk-cost bias.

Here's an analogy that might explain why I felt compelled to post. Some of the previous posts seemed like this:

Imagine a forum where people could discuss pets. Someone starts a post and asks "what dog should I get?" Many posters respond with various ideas, and criticisms and discussion of one breed over another. Then a poster comes in and says "Why are you talking about getting a dog? Cats are where its at. People who like dogs are just brainwashed. Dog breeders are nothing but liars."

This person has every right to express his views about dogs, and even engage in some incorrect speculation about other people's motives or experiences. But in this context it is not productive, and I would argue that someone participating in good faith, and with good judgement, would exercise restraint.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I just spent 30 secs on Puget's site and configured a PC for over $14000. Where do you get the max out price of £6500?

Maybe I should've spelled it out clearly but obviously I'm talking about matching up the core specs Apple would be likely to offer and price it out.

For example recently I configured one with a high-clock CPU, 1080 Ti, 32GB of RAM and 3 M.2 drives and it was around $5400 if i remember right. Obviously, if you stuff a rig full of 3 Titan cards or whatwever you're going to go over 10K but that's not Apples to Apple (pun intended). Apple doesn't build machines like that.

[Yeah... Designaire TB3 board with PCIe slots out the ying-yang, 10-core 3.33 GHz i9 CPU (great for C4D), 32GB, 1080Ti Quiet, 1x 960 Pro 512GB M.2, 2x 960 EVO 250 GB M.2  - 5454. That's a great price for the quality of parts they add. Add some quiet case mods it's like another $200. We'll see if Apple offers anything close to that for $5500 and have it be user-upgradeable across the board. I doubt it but I am keeping an open mind because I would love for it to happen.

Last edited by Blinny : 4 Weeks Ago at 10:18 PM.

reply share thread