New Mac Pro in 2019

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
Quote: That YouTube guy was crazy  if he thought he was going to get service after disassembling the iMac Pro. It's basically impossible to do that without Apple knowing that you did it, and it's a violation of the warranty terms. I don't know all the latest specific clauses per part, but there are certain things you can and can't do in terms of disassembly, if you want to maintain your warranty status. Doing a complete tear-down like you see on this guys' channel or  iFixit (the best of the tear-down resources IMO if you're looking to upgrade stuff yourself), is not one of the things Apple allows for. At least not last I heard. They don't have a sense of humor about this stuff.

No but that's the thing, he didn't want a warranty repair, he wanted to go to apple, pay them a chunk of money and get a repair. Just as one might buy a car, screw up whilst trying to fit new wheels, but then be able to go to an authorized dealer's garage and pay them money to repair it. Apple refused to sell them a new screen so they could repair it. Apple refused to send a screen to a third party so they could repair it. Apple refused to offer any method of repairing the computer period. If you fuck up a dell desktop, dell will fix it for a fee; or a repair centre can buy parts and fix it for a fee, or you can jump on amazon and buy the part yourself.
Quote: As for the next Mac Pro, how stringent they are about warranty and DIY stuff is going to depend on how the word "modular" ends up being defined. If Modular means something akin to what the old Mac Pros were, where you can take off the side and add / remove all sorts of stuff — not just drives but cooling fans and cables and the like — then I would assume there will be a lot we can do to upgrade it without voiding the warranty. If on the other hand Apple's idea of "modular" ends up being literal, self-contained Apple-baked modules that you "plug into" a larger housing, but without having any access to what's inside the modules... and the way they offer "choice" is to sell a whole bunch of different module kits... then I suspect the warranty will be a lot like current iMacs and MacBooks. If you open it and start taking stuff apart, you're taking a big chance Apple will void your warranty.

Also, the trashcan gpus were modular and replaceable, remember all those aftermarket gpu options you could slot in to the trashcan? they were great weren't they.

04 April 2018
Ah, so much hate for the Mac platform. Personally I can't wait to buy the new Mac Pro next year, cos I'm not moving to a PC any time soon.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Ah, so much hate for the Mac platform. Personally I can't wait to buy the new Mac Pro next year, cos I'm not moving to a PC any time soon.

You're not moving to a new mac platform anytime soon either ;D

04 April 2018
Well I could always buy an iMac Pro in the mean time, mister smarty pants, so you're actually incorrect :-)

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Ah, so much hate for the Mac platform. Personally I can't wait to buy the new Mac Pro next year, cos I'm not moving to a PC any time soon.
I love the Mac, am using a Mac, and I'm just frustrated at Apple's ability to complicate the building of a Mac Pro.  They say they are "talking to pros" on their needs. How that isn't a tower is beyond me.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Well I could always buy an iMac Pro in the mean time, mister smarty pants, so you're actually incorrect :-)

When you put the body parts up on ebay to fund it, let me know, I might be interested in a new liver.

04 April 2018
I'll swap you for my rotten pancreas.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I love the Mac, am using a Mac, and I'm just frustrated at Apple's ability to complicate the building of a Mac Pro.  They say they are "talking to pros" on their needs. How that isn't a tower is beyond me.
It goes beyond 'make it a tower'.  It seems they are looking at the build of said tower itself, and looking for bottlenecks and shortcomings wit the goal of producing the best possible piece of hardware they can
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: It goes beyond 'make it a tower'.  It seems they are looking at the build of said tower itself, and looking for bottlenecks and shortcomings wit the goal of producing the best possible piece of hardware they can

I'm sure it does... but 3+ years to do this?

Excuse my impatience, I've been waiting for a good refresh to the Mac Pro since the trash can was released.  

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: It goes beyond 'make it a tower'.  It seems they are looking at the build of said tower itself, and looking for bottlenecks and shortcomings wit the goal of producing the best possible piece of hardware they can
But that's just the thing...we don't NEED it to be the best possible piece of hardware.  This is not cancer they are trying to cure. We just want modern, fast, interchangeable hardware.  It's a simple thing really.  I could not care less about them spending years on thermodynamics and high fashion esthetics. 

I've been a Mac user since the late 80's.  Still love the OS, but the company has been so consumer gadget focused I've had to move to Windows to get any decent work done.  I'm running redshift and substance and it runs amazingly on my nearly off the shelf store bought PC.  All I've done is upgraded the graphics card.

There's really no excuse for the complete black hole that's been created in Apple's pro line.  Sure, there are reasons, but not excuses.  At least not in my book.  Do I sound bitter? Because I'm a little bitter. 

ha

04 April 2018
Well, their motto has always been 'Think Different'  Sometimes this results in amazing, game-changing innovation, sometimes it fails colossally.  I've been, and continue to use Macs for as long as I've been doing this.  I'm still running a venerable 2010 'Cheese Grater', to which I have updated many of the internals, and have one of the latest MacBook Pros.  I too have been frustrated with lapse in attention the Pro Market has gotten from Apple while they were all drunk off the explosive success of the iPhone (one of the aforementioned instances of a game changer wrought via different thinking), and their swing and a miss with the trashcan.  But, I respect that they had the integrity to own up to the mistake and that they are working to remedy it.  Maybe it's being overthought, but maybe, just maybe they have something coming that will check all the boxes, while also besting anything out there from the WINBOX assemblers.  Only time will tell, and for me knowing it is at least on the horizon is good enough for now.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: There's really no excuse for the complete black hole that's been created in Apple's pro line.  Sure, there are reasons, but not excuses.  At least not in my book.  Do I sound bitter? Because I'm a little bitter. 

The pro market is what - 1% of their income? Or less? It probably made a lot of business sense, even though it did throw us under the bus.

That being said, I'm kinda glad they did, as it allowed me to switch to Windows & save a bundle.  (Honest to goodness not trying to start anything - just stating the truth of my situation)

04 April 2018
I totally get why people make the switch, but it's not for everyone. We should all be allowed to do what we need or want without so much judgement (thanks, Internet). Of course, if Apple drops the ball again, I may well be reappraising my allegiance, but time will tell. Anyway, like GruvDOne I've been on the same Mac for seven years now and - thankfully - it still works brilliantly. I hope it only has one more year of faithful service!

04 April 2018
I'm a bit surprised that it takes them this long as well. Like others said, take the 5.1, make it darker if you must, slap in decent modern hardware with dual cpu options, scrap the optical drives and add another pci-e slot and/or nvme drives instead. Done. But of course they have to reinvent the wheel :P

Im still fine with my 5.1 but I'm using a (small) HP Z as well (which runs OSX pretty flawlessly), if the next Mac Pro isn't a real Mac Pro I might just switch over as well. I just don't necessarily want to

04 April 2018
The reason I personally dislike Apple is that they always lie to their customers.

Apple users always think they are getting something extra-special whatever they buy from Apple. You are instead getting bog-ordinary PC hardware made very, very cheaply in China that Apple slaps up to 60% profit onto by putting its stupid Garden-Of-Eden story inspired bitten apple logo on it.

People go "Yay!" when Apple screws them on price, and Apple then milks that irrational customer loyalty to death financially.

Its almost like Stockholm Syndrome - Apple lies to you, cheats you out of a good bunch of money by overpricing everything, deliberately makes its products difficult to repair and upgrade, and Apple users go "Hoooray! Apple did it again!" when they bring yet another product on the market.

There are thousands of different PC models available to buy as towers, mini-towers, all-in-ones, mini-PCs, tablets, laptops.

Yet Apple users feel compelled to choose from a handful of Apple models that really aren't all that special or exciting at all, if you ask me.

I work on a 2000 Dollar MSI 4K UHD Windows 10 laptop that does everything I want. I would not use the Apple equivalent if you paid me for it - I don't like Apple's very limited ecosystem.

reply share thread