Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
Hi IcecaveMan, I see what you mean with the camera Icon now. My bad.

Let me congratulate you with this inititiative on Unity though. I am already a long term Unity user, did some commercial work with it, but still learning every day. It's a joy to work with this kind o software where your 3D world comes to life with interaction. I wish you all very much fun and succes!

cheers, odo

03 March 2018
Quote: It seems that the only way to control the Animation states is with some coding.

Apart from coding and visual scripting like Playmaker (which lets you do so much already) you can also control animations without code in the TIMELINE.

You can drag your animation clips on the timeline and it will play and behave like C4D NLE : you can split animation, drag them in time, even blend them.

With Cinemachine you can make complex camera moves very easily. It's like C4D "camera Morph tag" on steroids.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by ooo: Hi IcecaveMan, I see what you mean with the camera Icon now. My bad.

Let me congratulate you with this inititiative on Unity though. I am already a long term Unity user, did some commercial work with it, but still learning every day. It's a joy to work with this kind o software where your 3D world comes to life with interaction. I wish you all very much fun and succes!

cheers, odo
thank you for the kind words! Maybe some of us newbies will be able to join you soon with commercial opportunities. Unity throws up a big canvas on which to create.

03 March 2018
I've come across a major issue with Unity.

Namely: Insanely cool asset packs on the Asset store. They are dark sirens calling for my money. Whether it's "Hair Tool," "Mega-Fiers," "Realistic Effects Pack 4", etc... so many...too cool.

Yes it's a problem. I'm already a pushover for c4d plugins and AE scripts. Now this. We'll see how much self-control I can demonstrate.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by EricM: Apart from coding and visual scripting like Playmaker (which lets you do so much already) you can also control animations without code in the TIMELINE.

You can drag your animation clips on the timeline and it will play and behave like C4D NLE : you can split animation, drag them in time, even blend them.

With Cinemachine you can make complex camera moves very easily. It's like C4D "camera Morph tag" on steroids.
All right, thank you. I had a look at those and they are interesting too. So much to learn.

I figured out how to see what something is in the asset window. All files have their function as an extension in their name. Color.mat is a material, constant_rotate.cs is a C# script, cogwheel2.controller is an animator state controller, etc. When you select something in the asset browser it shows the full name in the bottom of the window.

I'm trying to figure out if making prefabs is necessary to understand at this point. I know that the FPScontroller.prefab is a prefab and I know how to apply it to the project.
Houdini has something similar called a Digital Asset. I've seen several beginners tutorials where they also explain how to make them. After 4 years of using Houdini I've come to the conclusion that making Digital Assets does not belong in a beginners course. I suspect that might be similar for Unity. Knowing what they are and how to use them is usefull; Learning how to make them might not be at this point. Just my thought.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: All right, thank you. I had a look at those and they are interesting too. So much to learn.

I figured out how to see what something is in the asset window. All files have their function as an extension in their name. Color.mat is a material, constant_rotate.cs is a C# script, cogwheel2.controller is an animator state controller, etc. When you select something in the asset browser it shows the full name in the bottom of the window.

I'm trying to figure out if making prefabs is necessary to understand at this point. I know that the FPScontroller.prefab is a prefab and I know how to apply it to the project.
Houdini has something similar called a Digital Asset. I've seen several beginners tutorials where they also explain how to make them. After 4 years of using Houdini I've come to the conclusion that making Digital Assets does not belong in a beginners course. I suspect that might be similar for Unity. Knowing what they are and how to use them is usefull; Learning how to make them might not be at this point. Just my thought.
Prefabs are important as they provide instancing. As you know...it's important to keep game sizes small...both load times and memory allotment. So prefabs are vital for anytime you have repeating wall segments, multiple enemies, multiple place settings of silver ware etc.

To create a prefab you just drag in reverse....drag the asset from the hierarchy window into the asset window. Then you can delete the original item in the hierarchy and replace w/the prefab. Done in 20 seconds. It's as easy as that.

And of course a PreFab could be a single item or a group of items. The process of creating with a group is to first parent the items then drag the parent from the hierarchy back into the assets panel.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 10:50 PM.

03 March 2018
I rolled a 3 min Video on how to create--and edit--a PreFab:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmuakravv....mov?dl=0<br />
There is also an .mp4 version of file in the dropbox if you can't play the quicktime.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 11:16 PM.

03 March 2018
Team, quick reminder:
1st Week assignments are due in 24 hours...5pm Pacific Time U.S. Thursday.

Roll something simple and post it. :-)

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Prefabs are important as they provide instancing. As you know...it's important to keep game sizes small...both load times and memory
allotment. So prefabs are vital for anytime you have repeating wall
segments, multiple enemies, multiple place settings of silver ware etc.
That's true. Prefabs are pretty easy to make. But with so much stuff to learn in the beginning, is focusing on game sizes and memory allotment really that important right now?
Don't get me wrong. I think I'm still frustrated with houdini's digital assets. It was such a waste of time to try to learn that early on . Frefabs seem easier and more useful.

Last edited by mart1jn : 03 March 2018 at 11:39 PM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Roll something simple and post it. :-)

What do you mean by that?

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: What do you mean by that?

You've already posted assignments for this week...and exceeded expectations.

I was merely addressing those who haven't posted any project files yet. I don't want anyone to feel the need to be too ambitious with their first postings. Small and simple is fine...the goal in week 1 is just to get comfortable with interface and a few concepts.

You are way past that, which is great!

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: That's true. Prefabs are pretty easy to make. But with so much stuff to learn in the beginning, is focusing on game sizes and memory allotment really that important right now?
Don't get me wrong. I think I'm still frustrated with houdini's digital assets. It was such a waste of time to try to learn that early on . Frefabs seem easier and more useful.

I think you and I are much alike: we want to learn it all in one week.

The reason I included PreFabs in week 1 is that they were introduced early in the introductory training at Lynda.com. It's pretty important, IMO, to learn early on. Maybe I'm wrong...I don't know.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 02:27 AM.

03 March 2018
Some results on file size testing:

I created a Mac Build standalone with nothing but a spinning cube. I wanted to find out where base final file sizes sit before adding any assets.

It weighed in at 52 MB, which zipped down to 17 MB. I'm sure the PC standalone would be something comparable.

The little file I posted last Friday with the target and c4d destruction weighed in at 57 MB. I'm totally OK with these sizes.

For OpenGL, I was a little disappointed. The spinning cube there was 5.2 MB.I know what glTF and HTML5 can do and Unity OpenGL doesn't look to be as portable.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 05:30 AM.

03 March 2018
Something simple...rolled and posted ;-)

I was having issues opening some of the projects in the Dropbox folder but I think it is sorted now. Good stuff IceCaveMan and mart1jn. I'm motivated now to experiment more with the timeline and it's animation capabilities compared to those in C4D. And what's up with that Post-Processing stack with chromatic aberration? Never knew you could do that stuff...very cool!

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by LonChaney: Something simple...rolled and posted ;-)

I was having issues opening some of the projects in the Dropbox folder but I think it is sorted now. Good stuff IceCaveMan and mart1jn. I'm motivated now to experiment more with the timeline and it's animation capabilities compared to those in C4D. And what's up with that Post-Processing stack with chromatic aberration? Never knew you could do that stuff...very cool!

Well done LonChaney!

Animation will be the focus of week 3 but obviously jump ahead as you wish!

reply share thread