Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
OK. I have to tell you all....I'm exceeding my threshold for safe fun. My head and heart are about to explode. C4D + Unity opens up so many possibilities. My mood is flying right now. Back in the day I used Director and Flash...but I can see this can take things to a whole new level.

It's really good, I believe, to be accountable to create files and post and be on a team. It pushes a person. I'm looking ahead and in coming weeks we are going to kick ass.

If anyone still wants to join the team, I'll re-open up the invite for one more day. Post your e-mail or PM me. Be aware: you'll have to complete the first week's assignment by Thursday.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 03:05 AM.

03 March 2018
EditorXR is a package one can download and install that permits Unity developers to edit their scenes while staying within VR. Work on VR while in VR. There is also a SceneFusion addition that permits devs to work collaboratively on the same scene at the same time.

Maybe in a future Unity expedition a few of us can try it out and share a scene simultaneously.

I downloaded the package but in 15 minutes of testing couldn't suss out how to get it working. Still figuring it out.

Its not on the UnityStore but a link is here:
https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR/releases

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 04:07 AM.

03 March 2018
I'd like to welcome Jim-H to the team.

The re-opening of the window to join will close back down in 3 hours.

03 March 2018
I figured out†what I was missing when setting up†EditorXR. Holy Crap. I can see do a lot of my creation while in VR. I think its faster in creating, sizing and assessing scene items. You can really move around easy and change your size compared to the world. You can be a flea or an uber-giant.

One must install 3 packages:
-EditorXR (from the GitHub link above)
-Text MeshPro...it's used to make the editor GUI controls nice and crisp
-SteamVR package if you are Vive...or†Oculus Utilities if you are on that platform

After installing you must configure VR under player settings. You then get additional menus in the interface.

03 March 2018
Good to see more Unity converts

Some more learning resources for Unity listed below:

If you like Brackeys, your will find this Youtube channel by†Bored To Bits very useful.

3DMotive†has some really good paid Unity courses for all levels.† they also make them available via Udemy too.

CGCookie is also a great site for Unity training and they just released a†Unity - Lighting a Bedroom course for Archviz people.

03 March 2018
I'm jumping in a bit late (as usual). Actually have a good excuse too:
I work a full time 40 hour gig (with Google), a part time 20 hour gig (because my old job whined to keep me on) and I'm also reading a C# book.

I mostly want to use Unity for AR and VR. Not so much interaction, but enough object oriented stuff† to warrant some coding knowledge.
My interest primarily lies in real time lighting and my experience is in lighting, realism and shading.
So will be glad to offer my support for Substance workflows, once I've figured out the basics.

I have 2 very quick questions.
1. I somehow broke out of my camera view and can't get back in. Any ideas here? Probably something very simple.
2. I have a skybox with an HDR, that shows up. But the objects, even with reflective materials, do not respond to that environment in any way.
3. I built a scene earlier on. A box, a plane, with a default sky. I then ditched those objects in favor of a plane, imported table from C4D and a HDR skybox.
When I press 'Play'' (as in Play game). The scene reverts back to the earlier version. When I press escape, the box, plane and default sky are back in the OM.

Super confused by these behaviors.

Any words of advice here?

I've got to add too. That this Unity shit looks really promising.

Last edited by ThePriest : 03 March 2018 at 06:37 AM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I'm jumping in a bit late (as usual). Actually have a good excuse too:
I work a full time 40 hour gig (with Google), a part time 20 hour gig (because my old job whined to keep me on) and I'm also reading a C# book.

I mostly want to use Unity for AR and VR. Not so much interaction, but enough object oriented stuff† to warrant some coding knowledge.
My interest primarily lies in real time lighting and my experience is in lighting, realism and shading.
So will be glad to offer my support for Substance workflows, once I've figured out the basics.

I have 2 very quick questions.
1. I somehow broke out of my camera view and can't get back in. Any ideas here? Probably something very simple.
2. I have a skybox with an HDR, that shows up. But the objects, even with reflective materials, do not respond to that environment in any way.
3. I built a scene earlier on. A box, a plane, with a default sky. I then ditched those objects in favor of a plane, imported table from C4D and a HDR skybox.
When I press 'Play'' (as in Play game). The scene reverts back to the earlier version. When I press escape, the box, plane and default sky are back in the OM.

Super confused by these behaviors.

Any words of advice here?

I've got to add too. That this Unity shit looks really promising.
1. "Broke out of camera view"...not sure what you mean. If you select the camera you should see a thumbnail view of what is in it's field of view. †the camera-view-thumbnail shows up at the bottom right of the scene panel. I am guessing here but can suggest a few things.†
-Remember that the scene view isn't tied to a camera...it's like a default editor camera in c4d. Your game view on the other hand explicitly views through the camera. One exception here is if you are trying to use VR: In VR the HMD drives the camera.†

-It's possible that a package you imported includes a camera. You might look to see if there are multiple cameras.

-If it's just a case of missing a window you can reset layouts...at the top right.

-One thing that might confuse c4d folks...The camera 'gizmo' icon doesn't tell you the direction of the camera, unlike c4d. †It's just a generic icon. It always points the same way...telling you nothing. Click on it and rotate while watching the little preview to target the camera.

2. Skyboxes use cubic HDR, not the type of spherical images we are accustomed to. I'd pass on trying to import HDRI for this week. We'll learn how to convert them later. Reflections and GI come through a combination of baking, light and reflection probes. If you are eager to jump ahead to that you can view chapter 3 of this course.  † †https://www.lynda.com/Unity-tutoria.../536424-2.html†

3. Again I can only offer some guesses what might be happening
-You made changes while you were in PLAY mode. Any edits made in that state are lost.
-You perhaps found your way into a different scene of the same project...or into a different project

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 07:43 AM.

03 March 2018
Just a reminder to the team...a lot of what I post is way more advanced than week 1 objectives.

Here is how to use an HDRI as a skybox in Unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUtvyGrusk

I've tested the technique and it works.

03 March 2018
Little beef of mine...commercial tutorials where the instructor misuses or doesn't employ the correct †pronunciation of major term.

-Albedo is pronounced Al bee doe †
-Vignette is pronounced Vin Yet (g is silent)

03 March 2018
If you select the Unity camera-object in the hierarchy you should definitely see a gizmo that shows the direction and bounding box of the camera just like in C4D.† You can rotate and pan etc...

And a handy trick if you have no clue where you are in the scene is to select the desired object in the hierarchy and press f (frame) so it gets in the center of the viewport.

odo

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by ooo: If you select the Unity camera-object in the hierarchy you should definitely see a gizmo that shows the direction and bounding box of the camera just like in C4D.† You can rotate and pan etc...

And a handy trick if you have no clue where you are in the scene is to select the desired object in the hierarchy and press f (frame) so it gets in the center of the viewport.

odo
odo,†I think we are discussing two different things. Sure, there are controls for position/rotation as there are with any GameObject. Perhaps you are referring to that as a Gizmo.

But the little white icon of the camera...is what Unity calls a Gizmo icon. Those icons can be turned on or off under the gizmo menu. That's what I was speaking about in the post above. †Whether the camera is selected or not...the icon is static. It always points to the right. †Notice here the camera looks to be pointed at the cube based on the white icon. In fact the camera object is pointed in the opposite direction in this case.

Long and short of it: The little white icon (gizmo) is just a graphical indicator telling us that the object is a camera. †The icon tells us nothing more.

By contrast...In c4d the camera 'icon' is informative of camera rotation. I think Unity could learn here from the guys at Maxon and provide a smarter UI in several areas.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:15 AM.

03 March 2018
mart1jn,

Regarding 'Test 2' of your post today...

Let's see if I can guess what you've got going. I didn't inspect...I'm just guessing based on the look:
Post-Processing stack with the following turned on: vignette w/cyan color; chromatic aberration, anti-aliasing, grain and maybe some color LUT adjustments.

Let me guess further:
As for scene 3 I'm wondering you either were testing bringing over some rigging/constraints from c4d or if you played with those settings in Unity?

How did I do in guessing?

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 11:41 PM.

03 March 2018
More experimenting ^^

Renaming things in the Finder (I'm on a Mac) works fine. When I rename the whole project folder Unity crashes. When I reopen Unity, the project is no longer in the recent opened project list, but I can reopen it by looking for it in via the open option. So you can rename projects, but not while Unity is running.

- Iíve downloaded some packages from the asset store. Iíve included it in my project and put it in the Dropbox folder. What happens when someone else opens it and doesnít have those packages? They seem to be included in the project. What happens when itís a payed-for package?

- Is there a way to see what kind of an asset something is. The icons are clear, but sometime don't know what it is. The inspector doesn't seem to list what kind of an asset everything is.

In the scene "test 2" I tried the Post Processing Stack package and The Unity Particle package.
Applying animations seem to work on hierarchies that have the same name for all objects. I've tried applying an animation from an Imported C4D file to a hierarchy of unity game objects with the same name, and that worked. I've also tried mixing animations.

For scene "test 3" I watched this: Unity Animator Controller Basics (Best Practices): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC2UBWikz0
I made 3 C4D Scenes of a little thingy. 1 without animation, 2 with a resting animation and 3 with an alert animation . While space is pressed the animation goes from the rest pose to the alert pose.
When space is not pressed it goes back to the rest animation.
It seems that the only way to control the Animation states is with some coding.

Last edited by mart1jn : 03 March 2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typos

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: Iíve downloaded some packages from the asset store. Iíve included it in my project and put it in the Dropbox folder. What happens when someone else opens it and doesnít have those packages? They seem to be included in the project. What happens when itís a payed-for package

Free packages seem to transfer from machine to machine w/no issues. I can attest to that as I'm moving around between 3 computers. I don't yet know what would happen if, for instance, I gave you a file with a paid package inside. Maybe I'll test that by posting something for you.

Originally Posted by mart1jn: In the scene "test 2" I tried the Post Processing Stack package and The Unity Particle package.
Applying animations seem to work on hierarchies that have the same name for all objects. I've tried applying an animation from an Imported C4D file to a hierarchy of unity game objects with the same name, and that worked. I've also tried mixing animations.

Good to know.

Originally Posted by mart1jn: For scene "test 3" I watched this: Unity Animator Controller Basics (Best Practices): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC2UBWikz0
I made 3 C4D Scenes of a little thingy. 1 without animation, 2 with a resting animation and 3 with an alert animation . While space is pressed the animation goes from the rest pose to the alert pose.
When space is not pressed it goes back to the rest animation.
It seems that the only way to control the Animation states is with some coding.

Maybe you are right about that. Unity is certainly limited w/out coding...though one can use C-sharp, Javascript...or a visual coding tool like PlayMaker.

After our first five weeks I may start a 3-week trek on "Unity: Coding w/out Coding". There would be two things we would explore:
-Scavenging for common scripts and learning where to put them
-Using PlayMaker

Here is a site that keeps a large library of pre-coded scripts. One just must learn of what to look for...and how to properly add the code.
https://github.com/michidk/Unity-Script-Collection

My hunch is that Playmaker + scaveging would enable one to do > 90% of what you want as a beginner/intermediate.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 04:10 AM.

03 March 2018
Just learned Unity is deprecating Javascript.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 05:06 AM.

reply share thread