Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by Donovan Keith: You can change the tint of your editor when in Play mode to cue yourself in the future.

coming back to this...here's a Unity Quicktip video on how to set that up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WdzDOyBFpI

03 March 2018
Team, I really look forward to seeing your files as we move along . I will be posting samples as I'm able...not necessarily relevant to this week's learning.So tonight... I used Voronoi fracture to create an animation and then brought it into Unity. I'll explain steps in the next post.

The c4d project file and the Unity project file are posted to the team's dropbox.

In-game still image of animation

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 09:33 AM.

03 March 2018
First a few notes for teammates about how to access/use files:
- Be sure to copy files out of dropbox before using
- To launch...go into the Unity folder, then into Assets. Open "ArtilleryRange.unity.
- I notice that on Macs...though it still opens..that there are some error messages. On the Mac you can't move around the scene. I don't yet know why.
-The animation loops by design-so you can review it.

My steps:
-Used Voronoi fracture and the exceptional CV-Paint Fracture to create the animation. (Thanks Donovan and Derya)
- NitroBake 2 to prep for export
-Exported as FBX
-Copied the FBX and the one material into the project directory
-In Unity there were maybe 25 steps total for the whole segment on the Unity side of it--that part took about 90 minutes since I'm just learning. If there is interest maybe I'll do a tutorial.

Haven't yet played with audio...and I don't yet know how to trigger such an animation and connect it to user actions. A lot to learn!

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 07:20 PM.

03 March 2018
Back to suggested tips

Some of you that played racquet sports know that switching between sports like ping pong, racquetball and tennis can be tricky. It can mess with one's form as the techniques are similar, but still different.

Unity's object manipulation is like racquetball and c4d's object manipulation is like tennis. They are similar but can throw you off when switching between programs. So I changed Unity's keyboard shortcuts to match c4d.

By default, Unity's object translation = w; rotation =e; scale = r. In preferences I remap keys to match c4d:
E-Move Object (Tools/Move)
R-Rotate Object (Tools/Rotate)
T-Scale Object (Tools/Scale)

Stress and frustration was reduced.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 09:19 PM.

03 March 2018
There are two things I'd love to be able to do in Unity...and I don't know if it's possible. Maybe someone can help me.

1. I love in c4d how if you have an object selected and then if you zoom or rotate...it pivots around the selected object. Unity doesn't feature an equivalent (not that I know of).

-the best I can do is use theRight-Mouse-Hold with A-S-W-D. This technique is worth practicing. As you hold the right mouse down you go into a fly-mode. Direction is determined by holding down A-S-W-D. Still I'd like to discover a way to pivot around a selection.

2. Even more I miss C4D's commander feature where you can quickly add objects or tags with the keyboard. Perhaps there is something on the Asset store to enable similar functionality. If anyone finds something like that....please post.

03 March 2018
mart1jn, I see u are "gearing up" for great things. Good start...posting something in less that 24 hours.

03 March 2018
I've made my first test project and uploaded that to the dropbox folder under my name. Feel free to look.
My observations:

1. My goodness, 145mb for a simple project. Some of that is from imported assets that I didn't use and could have deleted, but half of it is this weird metadata stuff in the library. I guess It's good for something.

2. It's really nice that unity imports simple C4D projects, without having to make anything editable. And as long as it's just object PSR animation unity imports that animation also.

3. In my example project I tried a couple of different exports to see if it works. A .c4d file with editable objects . An FBX 7.5 and an fbx 6.1 export. And an fbx with joints and weigths. They all worked for me.

4. It took me some frustration to figure out how to get the animation from C4D to play in Unity.
--When I select a c4d file in from the asset window I can see at the bottom of the inspector if the animation is correctly importing or not. If it is there will be a play button. This is also where I set if the animation loops or not.
--When I drag the file into my scene it will have an animator component added to it automatically but it will not animate yet. I have to to manually make a animation controller and apply that to the animator component.
-- I don't have a good enough grasp of the animator window yet (that's where the animation controller is set up ) to explain what i did there. ^^

5. I really like the universal manipulator in unity, "y" by default. Position, rotation and scale in one.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: 1. My goodness, 145mb for a simple project. Some of that is from imported assets that I didn't use and could have deleted, but half of it is this weird metadata stuff in the library. I guess It's good for something.

Yes. I had the same reaction. I'll be curious to see how the finished run-time sizes look in comparison.

Originally Posted by mart1jn: 4. It took me some frustration to figure out how to get the animation from C4D to play in Unity.

I've seen the same steps are required whether the assets come from c4d or some other DCCs. I'm still getting my head around it as well. I guess it make sense that there are always two steps: bring in the asset including the animation....then configure how the animation should work -- play automatically or via a time or event trigger.

Originally Posted by mart1jn: 5. I really like the universal manipulator in unity, "y" by default. Position, rotation and scale in one.

I'd missed that completely. I'll check it out.

03 March 2018
Our good friend Sam from Digital Meat has a series of c4/unity tutorials. I missed this before.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...vKHEgxjEq8hN4Kz

03 March 2018
Highly Regarded Free Unity Assets - According to the Pros

Unity Particle Pack*

Cinemachine*

TextMeshPro*

Post Processing Stack*

*All Direct From Unity so in the future they could be built-in

03 March 2018
If navigationis a pain I recommend getting a 3DConnexion controller and this free asset:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...tor-driver-9774

I also recommend Brackeys (on YouTube) lots of great tutorials (a couple sweet ones):
Post Processing in Unity - Image Effects Tutorial
How to get Volumetric Lighting in Unity 5 - Tutorial

Alienware (Win 10), C4DR19, Redshift, Octane, VRAY, XP4, Unity3D 2017, Adobe CC 2018

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by nimpsy: If navigationis a pain I recommend getting a 3DConnexion controller and this free asset:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...tor-driver-9774

I also recommend Brackeys (on YouTube) lots of great tutorials (a couple sweet ones):
Post Processing in Unity - Image Effects Tutorial
How to get Volumetric Lighting in Unity 5 - Tutorial

+1 on Brackeyes. I did have some problems with the 3dConnexion drivers causing BSOD crashes...but I might retry the latest driver and add that Unity asset.

On other matters...

I'm really beginning to see Unity as a complete software development tool. I saw where one guy built what amounts to a full app for delighting photogrammetry assets so that they can respond properly to live 3d lighting. The tool is extremely sophisticated software, doing crazy math, all done in Unity.

03 March 2018
What version Unity areyou on? Been many updates in last few months. I'm currently on the latest 2017.3.1f1 (PC).

Unity is pretty amazing. It's the app of choice at our office.We've made most of our projects with it as the core app:http://heliosinteractive.com/#work-menu

As the only designer in the office, I rarely touch it but have dived in the last few weeks to start learning it myself.

Alienware (Win 10), C4DR19, Redshift, Octane, VRAY, XP4, Unity3D 2017, Adobe CC 2018

03 March 2018
Actually, since Unity now also has FBX and Alembic support (plugins), you can use it also for mocap retargeting, facial capture... or even rendering in Octance for free.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by nimpsy: What version Unity areyou on? Been many updates in last few months. I'm currently on the latest 2017.3.1f1 (PC).

Unity is pretty amazing. It's the app of choice at our office.We've made most of our projects with it as the core app:http://heliosinteractive.com/#work-menu

As the only designer in the office, I rarely touch it but have dived in the last few weeks to start learning it myself.

I'm using2017.3.1f1.That work at Helios looks super. I bet you love your job! That Helios site was hitting all my buttons: Portland, VR, Golf, Game of Thrones, Sigur Ros, etc.

Originally Posted by EricM: Actually, since Unity now also has FBX and Alembic support (plugins), you can use it also for mocap retargeting, facial capture... or even rendering in Octance for free.

Mocap, mixed reality...and Octane integration... is ultimately why I selected Unity > Unreal. But both are super impressive.

The free Octane is limited to 1 GPU. However, you can export to OrbX and render using all available GPUs.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 09:14 PM.

reply share thread