x-particles OVDB mesher for Voxel Sculpting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago

Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Interesting how the vdb mesher coming in R20 is all the rage...I posted the idea of using the OVDB mesher in X-particles back in February and heard nothing but crickets about it. haha

Not sore about it or anything...I just wonder if maybe no one understood what I was getting at.

Anyway, competition is a good thing, so I'm glad to see Maxon implementing something similar as a core feature. Meanwhile, I'll keep using X-particles for voxel meshing and see how R20 pans out when it is released.

Cheers!
Hmm, Remo made SV in 2013 year.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Interesting how the vdb mesher coming in R20 is all the rage...I posted the idea of using the OVDB mesher in X-particles back in February and heard nothing but crickets about it. haha

Not sore about it or anything...I just wonder if maybe no one understood what I was getting at.

Anyway, competition is a good thing, so I'm glad to see Maxon implementing something similar as a core feature. Meanwhile, I'll keep using X-particles for voxel meshing and see how R20 pans out when it is released.

Cheers

Yes--it all comes down to how the tools are presented by the developers. XP focuses on particles and fluids so thats how these tools are presented and what the general user base assumes as to what the tools can be used for. For me XP is much more than a particle plugin. We use it all the time for modeling complex organic shapes. The Spline mesher is perfect for buiding trees and blood vessels with continuous (and good) geo. The skinner (although assumed to be just a fluid envelope mesher) is great for merging complex objects together--like an uber metaball tool. Same goes for the ovdb mesher--for many its just another fluid mesher option, for us its also its also a much smoother and accurate metaball/skinner tool for modelling and complex animation effects.

Last edited by JoelDubin : 1 Week Ago at 04:57 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by spireil:
Hmm, Remo made SV in 2013 year.
I don't know how I missed that! That's impressive given the year.

1 Week Ago
the main thing about the r20 volumes is the integration with fields.

Tomorrow i will do some tests looking into the comparisons. but i assume performance wise it should be similar, since they are both using openvdb.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: These are nice examplesGary.
Its funny --I wasnt excited at all when I saw the volume modelling workflow announced in R20 as I assumed it was the same as what we already have in XP. After actually looking at the example videos however, I am now thinking this will be much better. Looks to be faster and a lot more control. When I work with the XP OVDB mesher, I hit a wall when it comes to getting the smoothing and detail I want, and then need to layer a smoothing deformer and subd generator to help. But still seems to have limitations. XP does include much of the same workflow--you can subtract, union, or intersect objects and they mesh together, There are some other nice options in there as well that i dont see in R20s version.

Heres a workflow we developed for dealing with modular budding vesicles using XPs OVD mesher in the cellular work we do (something that Im sure houdini can do much better) . I would anticipate the R20 mesher will allow for even more refinement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxic7joou....mp4?dl=0<br />
and before smoothing--(you can see more geo flicker)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66uvihg1l...oothed.mp4?dl=0
Good stuff Joel! I have to agree R20's voxel meshing looks to be superior to X-particles, which isn't surprising honestly. One is a plugin, the other is part of the core of the software. I'm sure there are limitations with the plugin architecture. The main reason I brought this old thread back to life is just to show that we've had this functionality available to us for a while with XP, and many people have that plug. I'm really looking forward to getting my grubby paws on R20 to play with the meshing.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: the main thing about the r20 volumes is the integration with fields.

Tomorrow i will do some tests looking into the comparisons. but i assume performance wise it should be similar, since they are both using openvdb.
Would love to see/read your results and conclusions. Thanks!

1 Week Ago
One of the things I just noticed in R20's implementation of voxel meshing is the addition of folders so you can confine filters to certain layers. That's a very powerful feature.

1 Week Ago
Regarding remotion's, from what I'm aware of, this more or less acts as a basic mesher. Throw polygons in, get a new remeshed grid back out. It never really gave any editing tools to actually create volumes, so you were still stuck with the limited old boole object which takes away half of the power.

Xparticles volumes are decent, but I think personally they missed a trick here by not breaking it off into its own plugin. It makes sense from the POV of generating meshes for liquid sims, but as a modelling toolset, I doubt many people would give it a second glance when looking for c4d modelling plugins. It's the same issue imho with Per's Degamma; arguably one of the best things it can do is the panoramic fish eye rendering with realtime opengl preview, however this tool gets lost because it is effectively bundled with a toolkit designed for automatically adjusting the gamma levels of input textures.

reply share thread