x-particles OVDB mesher for Voxel Sculpting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
x-particles OVDB mesher for Voxel Sculpting

As an overall composition, this scene is not great.  There are many flaws...but I wanted to share because I used the OVDB mesher in X-Particles to voxel sculpt the canyon walls.

Painted using Substance Painter, rendered with RedShift

02 February 2018
Here's a clay render showing the intermediate result of using the OpenVDB Mesher to sculpt using voxels.  (Tree was done in Forester).

The little dotted areas are small indentions left from the meshing process.  I later found they could be removed by lowering the voxel size (thus increasing resolution of the resulting mesh).

I know this type of work can be done via sculpting in C4D or Zbrush.  I'm just exploring using the new mesher from X-Particles in some different ways.  It really allowed me to create some organic cuts into these walls that I might not have thought to do by raw sculpting.  

It can always be touched up further with the sculpting tool of your choice.

02 February 2018
And here's a rough example of how it works:  I have a stretched cube I'm using as the "base" mesh.  It is the first object in the mesher list.  Following that are a cylinder with a displacer deforming it, 2 raw spheres and a landscape object set to spherical.  

The cylinder, spheres and landscape object are set to "Difference" in the mesher list.  They are being subtracted from the cube before the whole thing is meshed.

You can set the voxel size rather large to give you instant real time meshing results then bump it down for a higher resolution, more detailed mesh before converting it to an editable poly object.

This allows you to work procedurally and you can experiment a great deal before committing to convert it to a poly object.

Last edited by interactiveBoy : 02 February 2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Wanted to add another thought on the process.

02 February 2018
Interesting. I'd not thought to do that. Might give it a try!

6 Days Ago
Interesting how the vdb mesher coming in R20 is all the rage...I posted the idea of using the OVDB mesher in X-particles back in February and heard nothing but crickets about it. haha

Not sore about it or anything...I just wonder if maybe no one understood what I was getting at.

Anyway, competition is a good thing, so I'm glad to see Maxon implementing something similar as a core feature.  Meanwhile, I'll keep using X-particles for voxel meshing and see how R20 pans out when it is released.

Cheers!

6 Days Ago
Can you use splines and particles for volume modeling in X-particles?

Last edited by Bullit : 6 Days Ago at 01:52 AM.

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Interesting how the vdb mesher coming in R20 is all the rage...I posted the idea of using the OVDB mesher in X-particles back in February and heard nothing but crickets about it. haha
It’s a tough crowd around here. ;-)

6 Days Ago
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Interesting how the vdb mesher coming in R20 is all the rage...I posted the idea of using the OVDB mesher in X-particles back in February and heard nothing but crickets about it. haha

Not sore about it or anything...I just wonder if maybe no one understood what I was getting at.

Anyway, competition is a good thing, so I'm glad to see Maxon implementing something similar as a core feature.  Meanwhile, I'll keep using X-particles for voxel meshing and see how R20 pans out when it is released.

Cheers!
hehe I have XP4 and never knew I could done that... I should have investigated more.
Former gf: XSI

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: Can you use splines and particles for volume modeling in X-particles?
Yes.  It's a mesher, so basically anything that can create point data.

Also, it has filters for smoothing. (Gaussian, Median, Offset, etc.)

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: It’s a tough crowd around here. ;-)
Right???  haha

5 Days Ago
Thx for feedback interactiveboy.

5 Days Ago
Here's the sneak peek video Insydium released about the OpenVDB mesher in November:

5 Days Ago
Yeah seems what Maxon did now.

5 Days Ago
The main difference that I can tell from the various R20 videos is that Maxon's implementation is lightning quick. I've been playing with it in XP4 and it's too slow to be any real fun. YMMV of course...

5 Days Ago
These are nice examples Gary.
Its funny --I wasnt excited at all when I saw the volume modelling workflow announced in R20 as I assumed it was the same as what we already have in XP. After actually looking at the example videos however, I am now thinking this will be much better. Looks to be faster and a lot more control. When I work with the XP OVDB mesher, I hit a wall when it comes to getting the smoothing and detail I want, and then need to  layer a smoothing deformer and subd generator to help. But still seems to have limitations. XP does include much of the same workflow--you can subtract, union, or intersect objects and they mesh together, There are some other nice options in there as well that i dont see in R20s version.

Heres a workflow we developed for dealing with modular budding vesicles using XPs OVD mesher in the cellular work we do (something that Im sure houdini can do much better) . I would anticipate  the R20  mesher will allow for even more refinement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxic7joou....mp4?dl=0<br />
and before smoothing--(you can see more geo flicker)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66uvihg1l...oothed.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by JoelDubin : 5 Days Ago at 04:35 PM.

reply share thread