CINEMA 4D R19 SP2 with support for Metal 2 on Macs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
Same here. Mid-2010 MacPro, GTX980Ti – opened a scene and Pro render just sat trying to convert it. Had to force quit in the end. I don't go near Pro Render to be honest, not with this set up. Anyway Octane works fine.

02 February 2018
nvidia cards don't work with prorender on macs, only PCs.

Why they didn't fix that issue before working on Metal is beyond me... very disappointing.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: nvidia cards don't work with prorender on macs, only PCs.

Why they didn't fix that issue before working on Metal is beyond me... very disappointing.

It's not in the hands of Maxon to fix OpenCL drivers or deliver fixed OpenCL drivers. Please let your gfx card vendor know that you're interested in those drivers for the Mac ...

Best regards,

Wilfried

02 February 2018
So does Pro Render work with CPUs then? Because it will render on my system – just not very well.

02 February 2018
Yes, openCL (what ProRender is accelerated with) works on CPU, just not as fast.
That was the whole point initially about proRender : to work on any platform, CPU, GPU, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, PC, MAC... even CPU+GPU at the same time.
Apparently, the reality is a bit different.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: So does Pro Render work with CPUs then? Because it will render on my system – just not very well.

This mode is still experimental (and labeled as such); the main purpose of ProRender however is to utilize gpus (given the difference of compute units between SSE/AVX and modern gpus that 's the reasonable target for an approach as used in ProRender) and I'd like to see it running on NVIDIA gpus on the Mac as well, not only on the PC.

That 's why I was asking to let your gfx card vendor know about your interest in OpenCL driver (development) for the Mac too.

Best regards,

Wilfried

02 February 2018
Does ProRender use Open CL with nvidia cards on the PC? Or does it use CUDA?

I have CUDA drivers running quite happily with Octane on my mac, so why can't ProRender use CUDA on a mac?

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: Does ProRender use Open CL with nvidia cards on the PC? Or does it use CUDA?

I have CUDA drivers running quite happily with Octane on my mac, so why can't ProRender use CUDA on a mac?

ProRender uses OpenCL on Windows and macOS and additionally (and optional) Metal on MacOS 10.13.2 and newer

Best regards,

Wilfried

02 February 2018
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm interested to know how performance is on say the Vega in the iMac Pro, or a 580, since I can stick one of those in my cheese grater.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm interested to know how performance is on say the Vega in the iMac Pro, or a 580, since I can stick one of those in my cheese grater.
Send me a file and I'll do a test render for you on my iMac Pro Vega 64.

edit: Oh, and thanks for the update, Maxon!

02 February 2018
More interested in your opinions, and seeing how it performs, the IPR, how quickly noise clears. How much of an improvement have you noticed? Has it become usable with something like a vega? Or do you still need several WX9100 pros or similar?

You could do a quick demo/screen capture?

02 February 2018
I wouldn't know the answers to those questions, as I don't currently use a GPU workflow.
Just thought you could use it for a quick test.

02 February 2018
Opened the coffee bean test file in the content browser.
Started prorender--started rendering after about 30 seconds or so.

Went into prefs and turned on Metal in the prorender prefs and restarted cinema.

Opened the coffee beans file again and started prorender.
First time, I got a beach ball for several minutes while compiling shaders.
I noticed in the dock it said that c4d was inactive so force quit and tried again.

2nd time, C4D crashed out on me after the shader compilation stage and when prorender said it was starting to render.

Using an 8 core mac trashcan with dual AMD 700 firepros

02 February 2018
Remember that the first time you use pro render after switching the engine or changing drivers, it takes 2-5 minutes to compile the software for your gpu. Maybe flush your prefs and leave it rendering for a while to fully compile the code.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by imashination: Remember that the first time you use pro render after switching the engine or changing drivers, it takes 2-5 minutes to compile the software for your gpu. Maybe flush your prefs and leave it rendering for a while to fully compile the code.

As mentioned, yes, it took some time to compile, but crashed twice.

reply share thread