C4D & 3DCoat: prevent vertex order shuffle?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
Oh. I see.
You're using UV's a lot. I'd rather not use that method if I can do it a different way.
Your information says it can also use point positions instead of UV's. But it also says one point position must match. And If I'm interpreting that correctly. That might not work on meshes where one side is drastically different from the other side.
I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly.

I've been curious how people are approaching this problem. To see if I could possibly write something quick & dirty myself. Without any fancy bells and whistles.
Thanks a lot for the information.

-ScottA

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Cairyn: If you put both objects into the same position, are the objects covering each other? Maybe the positions have been ruined too.

You can change the constant epsilon to something larger - this is the cube around each point that defines the maximum distance where the point in the other object is found.

Try it for two cubes and check what the output says... or send me your file and I'll have a look why the algorithm doesn't work for you. (As I not said, this is a very ad hoc approach and neither efficient nor totally smart.)
Thanks for this Cairyn. It worked fine for two cubes with different UVs, but not my character.

It's interesting to hear about this idea of symmetry being an issue, so I tried in 3D Coat (v 4.8.10) to quickly run the workflow of:

1) export OBJ from C4D
2) import into UV Room of 3DC
3) make a few random seams (symmetry turned off), unwrap, apply UVs, export .OBJ
4) import back into C4D
5) drag and drop UV tag onto target model

<< sad trumpet sound >>

The UV map gets tweaked... attaching a pic of my UVs so you can see. It's lessened with the update to 3DC 4.8.10 , but still doing some funny business.

02 February 2018
Ok so I think what's happening is that C4D is actually shuffling the vertex order upon export as an .OBJ.

I can confirm that if I take the exported obj, tweak the UVs in 3D Coat, and bring it back in to C4D, I can drag and drop the new UVs without the UV map getting scrambled.

But if I compare the exported OBJ to the original mesh in the structure manager, the points don't line up at all.

Will keep you updated!

reply share thread