Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Is MSA not classed as a subscription - I thought that was the point of it? You have to pay yearly up front before you see what you are getting (currently once a year).
It is the interval that makes the difference. Within the interval you can't add value to the product.

01 January 2018
From the Maxon website on MSA: "Participating customers automatically receive updates of MAXON products, which means they benefit from all new features and functions that are made available while their MSA is active." 

What it should say is annual new features and functions. Its a bit shady if Maxon knows it cant offer added value more than once a year. Sketchup is the same, you blindly pay for the update that most of the time has very little to offer. It would be nice to have a clear road map like Corona where anyone can google the trello page to see what they are working on and what is coming up next.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by TheGreatSzalam: The thing about publicly traded companies not being able to add new functionality  in an unpaid update isn't some deflection. It's real. I've been chatting with some of the developers of Adobe After Effects for years now. They were excited when Adobe went subscription because they could add features whenever they were ready instead of waiting for paid releases.

and sadly all it seem to have really done is allow adobe to have more and more bugs in each weekly or monthly release... i have been on the AE list for nearly 20 years and have never seen more frequent bug complaints then once they went subscription... and issues with so many versions/releases and trying to roll back to a previous one when a surprise release munges up your workflow with a new bug
-

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by nejck: ...if you were trying to make things lighter sorry for being nit picky but I do think that is legit area where improvements could be / should be made.

The guy's tone and language were offensive and I was working late... Should have just bit my tongue and moved on.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: The guy's tone and language were offensive and I was working late... Should have just bit my tongue and moved on.

@IceCaveMan Dude I don't mind it, I am being active in discussion myself too instead of being quiet :P All I am saying is that while obviously the choice of words should have been better but the "message" (if you will) does have merit - at least to me.

@rob interesting point

01 January 2018
Is there more info about the problem of "publicly traded companies"? I don't find anything in the net.

01 January 2018
Microsoft is testing a big new update for the Xbox One dashboard with Xbox Insiders today.
Now in the Alpha ring, the new system update comes with improvements to
the Guide, and a key new feature: Do Not Disturb.Xbox One’s new Do Not Disturb mode is a lot like Windows 10’s Quiet Hours feature. When enabled, your Xbox will stop displaying
notifications from apps and games. Plus, it will also prevent your
friends from inviting you to another game or activity which is going to
be really useful when you are trying to get through all the levels in a
hot new game.The Xbox One Guide is getting a new Next Achievements feature with the latest system update, too. This is basically a handy list of
achievements that are you are close to finishing on games, and you can
filter the list by closest, most common, rarest, most common rare, and
highest gamerscore to get the best possible look at your progress on a
game.Other additions in the latest update include Mini Game Hubs in the
Guide, as well as a better view for comments on community posts. The
update is only available in the Alpha ring of the Xbox Insider program
for now, but it will be coming to regular users outside of the Xbox
Insider program in the coming months once it goes through all the
required testing.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/14986...he-distractions

One more example.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Shape3D: Is there more info about the problem of "publicly traded companies"? I don't find anything in the net.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070115/163130.shtml

"Apparently Apple is forcing Mac owners to pay an extra $5 to unlock next generation features of WiFi that were bundled with recent machines. In order to unlock the pre-standard 802.11n features, you have to pay $5, with Apple saying that they cannot be seen as "giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures.""

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/02/24/a...harge-facetime/

"In 2002, a little something called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act was put forth to keep publicly traded companies in check. The Act prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures."

As I am no accountant, I am not sure, if this is the exact law that applies to Maxon, but it is a similar case.

Last edited by Mapache : 01 January 2018 at 02:13 PM.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Bullit:
https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/14986...he-distractions

One more example
This is apples to airplanes.... First, Microsoft sells both software and hardware. Second, they do have a monthly sub with Games with Gold, dont they?
Former gf: XSI

01 January 2018
And here some info on how the Enron scandal caused SOX
https://www.thebalance.com/sarbanes...-scandal-393497

01 January 2018
I read some articles about SOX and everywhere only stood something about compliance and controlling but nothing explicit about the restriction to implement new features for free. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Such information I only found in internet forums and I can't veryfy if they are correct or only rumors like in germany where nearly every website had the information that they are not responsible for the content of other linked websites regarding judgment of the hamburger regional court.

Here are two parts of some forums.

"Basically, SarbOx says that a software developer should not have ANY kind of write access to production systems that can affect the financial reporting of the corporation."

"Because of the Act, the company believes that if it sells a product, then later adds a feature to that product, it can be held liable for improper accounting if it recognizes revenue from the product at the time of sale, given that it hasn't finished delivering the product at that point."

If the first time is correct I wonder it it is allowed to only make bugfixes because the developer accesses the production system too. When the bugfix break some other function and customers complain about that this can affect the financial reporting of the corporation too.

The second statement contains "the company believes" which doesn't mean that it is explicit correct.

Maybe you can clarify that a little more.

01 January 2018
This is drifting into tax law, something that i can and will not give a substantiated analysis of. Maxon would love to be able to add some smaller features over time in an existing release, but the extra effort needed is just prohibitive. Can we move on from this?

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs: and sadly all it seem to have really done is allow adobe to have more and more bugs in each weekly or monthly release... i have been on the AE list for nearly 20 years and have never seen more frequent bug complaints then once they went subscription... and issues with so many versions/releases and trying to roll back to a previous one when a surprise release munges up your workflow with a new bug

Adobe completely died for me as a company when they went "subscription only". I do hardcore video processing every day, up to 60 hours a week. The only Adobe product I have installed is Acrobat Reader for opening PDFs - I'm not putting anything else Adobe on any of my development machines.

As for Autodesk, they shot themselves in the foot big time with the same model. LightWave for example was completely dead. Dead and gone. Forgotten by almost all. Now, with Autodesk's shitty subscription only model and the death of XSI, the new LightWave has real fighting chance of gaining big market share in 3D CG again.

It costs just 1K and appears to be pretty capable, even if the much desired UI redesign isn't in this version yet. If Newtek don't hogtie the software with some shitty subscription/cloud/remote authentication bullshit, LightWave has a very good shot of recovering the market position it once had.

The CG market has changed a bit. Lots of countries that didn't do much CG at all 10 years ago are starting to do it. And they are not looking for CG software that costs 3K to 4K a license. About 1K is the perfect market price for these countries. Another reason "New LightWave" may come back big time.

Subscription-only exists for one reason alone. To be able to tell Wall Street investors "We have XX million subscribers paying XXX Dollars on average locked-in this year. Buy our shares."

As far as the software I use is concerned, almost 90% is free and open source now.

It is total bliss to be able to use so much FOSS. It works just like software used to in the old days - install & use.

Last edited by skeebertus : 01 January 2018 at 08:29 PM.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by luisRiera: This is apples to airplanes.... First, Microsoft sells both software and hardware. Second, they do have a monthly sub with Games with Gold, dont they?

So what? the update is for anyone including those that just bought a X-box.
And there is not said anywhere and is not claimed by anyone - unless you started it now - that the update limitations from the "Enron" law only apply to software.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Bullit: So what? the update is for anyone including those that just bought a X-box.
And there is not said anywhere and is not claimed by anyone - unless you started it now - that the update limitations from the "Enron" law only apply to software.
Please re-read Srek answer to you on page 3 "Nvidia and AMD are selling Hardware, if you fnd an example where they sell software and add functionality after the sales please tell us."

As far as I know no one buys the "xbox operative system" inside the white case... they buy the hardware. No matter how you want to spin this around, its not gonna change the way things are. Game consoles are updated frequently because new games are added every week, its a evergrowing ecosystem and its also tied to a PC account.

Even Maxon update C4D from time to time, and even though Srek and some users seems to haven forgotten about it, they DO add new tools though Maxon Labs and Cineversity plugins.
Former gf: XSI

reply share thread