Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
"There are some pretty strict tax laws for publicly owned companies in effect that make it seriously difficult to provide new features after the customer has paid for a product.
It is quite an interesting story how this came to be, if you are interested read up on the Enron scandal and it's aftermath."

You have to be kidding. Could you grasp for any more straws?

I am not going to do your homework for you but there are countless companies in software offering new features after a product purchase, not solely confined to DCC apps. I certainly hope this is not Maxon's mentality.

Last edited by helluvapixel : 1 Week Ago at 06:15 PM. Reason: quote feature did not block quote properly

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Rectro: I use Vray as my day to day renderer, and it dose not have any access to the nice Opengl viewport, in fact im often working in the dark.  Iv been told that Maxon need to share its OpenGL editor sdk.  Here is a quote from Stefan.  "the view port enhencements could be used if Maxon finally opens their openGL(editor) sdk for 3rd parties (vray uses it already but it is a closed "blackbox" system without any information or documentation yet, we asked since many years for openGL info to fully use it)"

Dan

Indeed, that seems to be the case as there isn't a renderer that is tapping into the new viewport... As far as I know at least  Could be wrong!

So yeah, I think it would probably be very beneficial if the viewport could be "made" to work with other renderers. Then its a serious production tool for a various amount of people in different productions. As it is now its really great for people using the native renderers - which again is _still a great step forward_ but I personally think it should be expanded to other engines as well. Obviously thats something the 3rd party developers would eventually need to do but they do need access / documentation to do it (From what we are hearing from the likes of Stefan etc...).

I suppose the viewport itself isn't finished yet and the same goes for the rewrite of the core modules. Perhaps Maxon is trying to keep everything under the radar until its finished along with all the dev backend / documentation / access / whatever that needs to be done?

Would be great to hear something from Maxon about these types of things. I would be happy to read a blog post about it

1 Week Ago
"- The performance issues are still there. Create a hundred objects and it becomes very super slow.
I think we've all experienced this one at one point, heh :P"

There is nothing left of the dead horse on that one. The main competitors all did major overhauls to their viewports long before Maxon added some enhancements (dare i say band-aiding) onto the existing (lack of) performing viewport.

Maxon has had plenty of time to do something and when the viewport is one of the most impactful feedback tools we need and they ignore it for a shitty implementation of a renderer no one uses for production it is a kick in the face.  Again, what are Maxon's priorities because from my stand point they have their heads up their ass.

Last edited by helluvapixel : 1 Week Ago at 06:16 PM. Reason: quote editing foul up

1 Week Ago
While im glad that children are using cinema 4D, please do remember this is a forum for grown ups, so if the wave of insults are over, can we start with some constructive criticism? 

Thanks.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
Yes, ranting is not productive.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: "- The performance issues are still there. Create a hundred objects and it becomes very super slow.
I think we've all experienced this one at one point, heh :P"

There is nothing left of the dead horse on that one. The main competitors all did major overhauls to their viewports long before Maxon added some enhancements (dare i say band-aiding) onto the existing (lack of) performing viewport.

Maxon has had plenty of time to do something and when the viewport is one of the most impactful feedback tools we need and they ignore it for a shitty implementation of a renderer no one uses for production it is a kick in the face.  Again, what are Maxon's priorities because from my stand point they have their heads up their ass.

You seem to have issues. Don't bring them here. Maybe some introductory tutorials would help you...on c4d and on your manners. On the 3d side of it I'm guessing you need to learn a little about instancing.

1 Week Ago
do forums still have moderators?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: "There are some pretty strict tax laws for publicly owned companies in effect that make it seriously difficult to provide new features after the customer has paid for a product.
It is quite an interesting story how this came to be, if you are interested read up on the Enron scandal and it's aftermath."

You have to be kidding. Could you grasp for any more straws?

I am not going to do your homework for you but there are countless companies in software offering new features after a product purchase, not solely confined to DCC apps. I certainly hope this is not Maxon's mentality.

Publicly traded companies? At first I thought: "Adobe!" but then realized their stream of interim updates wouldn't qualify because it's paid monthly, not once yearly any longer. Kicked around more examples... Insydium, Black Magic... a few others... none are publicly traded.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: I am not going to do your homework for you but there are countless companies in software offering new features after a product purchase, not solely confined to DCC apps. I certainly hope this is not Maxon's mentality.

Perhaps you could? Can you name 1 publicly traded company, that is based in Germany, that releases free updates that include new features during a business tax year? 

New development has to be assigned to a specific tax year so that the sales can be reconciled with the spending on development. And share holders want to see this information.

If you're not a publicly traded company you can do whatever you want. Or you could move to a subscription based model, which then allows you the ability to add new features monthly. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: You seem to have issues. Don't bring them here. Maybe some introductory tutorials would help you...on c4d and on your manners. On the 3d side of it I'm guessing you need to learn a little about instancing.

Ugh, while I really dislike the ranting the point about the viewport speed he / she made is a good one  Not sure if you are trying to make it funny or are serious but instancing doesn't solve a lot of problems when it comes to many objects in the viewport. Using wireframe / box display tags doesn't either.

Again, if you were trying to make things lighter sorry for being nit picky but I do think that is legit area where improvements could be / should be made.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by kbar: Perhaps you could? Can you name 1 publicly traded company, that is based in Germany, that releases free updates that include new features during a business tax year? 

New development has to be assigned to a specific tax year so that the sales can be reconciled with the spending on development. And share holders want to see this information.

If you're not a publicly traded company you can do whatever you want. Or you could move to a subscription based model, which then allows you the ability to add new features monthly. 

I already listed several examples. Windows(Microsoft), Nvidia, AMD.

Last edited by Bullit : 1 Week Ago at 11:55 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: I already listed several examples. Windows(Microsoft), Nvidia, AMD.
Nvidia and AMD are selling Hardware, if you fnd an example where they sell software and add functionality after the sales please tell us.
As for Microsoft, i don‘t know what they do, but it is not impossible to add functionality after the sale, it just comes with a lot of trouble and effort.

1 Week Ago
Microsoft sells software + hardware, it is expected they improve Windows if they also sell the surface pro, or an hmd vr helmet. I dont think if game companies count, though.

Regarding improving performance, do remember, maxon r19 have the LOD tool, wich should improve viewport speed on some scenes. No one here says viewport speed shouldn't be improved.. but ranting about it calling it a piece of shit is out of place in a professional forum like this.
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
The thing about publicly traded companies not being able to add new functionality  in an unpaid update isn't some deflection. It's real. I've been chatting with some of the developers of Adobe After Effects for years now. They were excited when Adobe went subscription because they could add features whenever they were ready instead of waiting for paid releases.

There are strict rules that publicly traded companies have to follow - some of which seem a bit ridiculous - and this is one of those rules.

1 Week Ago
Is MSA not classed as a subscription - I thought that was the point of it? You have to pay yearly up front before you see what you are getting (currently once a year).

I also agree about the viewport being poor. The glossy visual enhancements only help those using native renderer but actually object count efficiency would help everyone regardless of render engine. Also the devs of the third party engins say the C4Ds SDK is an undocumented nightmare. Perhaps that could be fixed instead of an end user update?!

reply share thread