Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
The Threadripper box is quite loud. The one thing you would not need to do  if you get an apple, is spend countless hours trying to make a box that you have paid for, and want to be working with, less noisy. I am already fed up, and currently preoccupied with where to put this box. Fast as it is, I do not think I can work with it.   This is where apple wins, hands down.  The Threadripper box is really(really, really) fast, but it is too loud. The case required to put it in, is huge, and is basically a mounting frame, for fans. The motherboard, has a mental number of fan connectors. if you connected them all, it would sound like fricken drone. To be honest, its all a bit daft, and I hate it already. 

Paul

12 December 2017
Here's a Cinebench score for the 10-core iMac Pro with the 16GB Vegas and 64GB RAM. The chip is the w-2150B.

Just powered up the iMac Pro, answered a few setup questions,  and ran Cinebench 15.

OpenGL: 139.22 fps
CPU: 2046 cb
CPU (Single Core): 190

Haven't stressed it too much yet but, so far...quiet, quiet, quiet.

Initial reaction is this seems like a fast machine--about 2-3 times faster than my old 2010 Mac Pro. 

Last edited by ScientiaViz : 12 December 2017 at 06:13 PM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by ScientiaViz: Here's a Cinebench score for the 10-core iMac Pro with the 16GB Vegas and 64GB RAM. The chip is the w-2150B.

Just powered up the iMac Pro, answered a few setup questions,  and ran Cinebench 15.

Haven't stressed it too much yet but, so far...quiet, quiet, quiet. If a Wolf spider had farted, I would've heard it.

You should probably run cinebench again after a day or two; Mac OS X does a lot of background tasks after initialization (spotlight indexing; iCloud syncing; photo categorization, etc.) which can steal a lot of CPU cycles in the first 24 hours or so...

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by tapaul: The Threadripper box is quite loud. The one thing you would not need to do  if you get an apple, is spend countless hours trying to make a box that you have paid for, and want to be working with, less noisy. I am already fed up, and currently preoccupied with where to put this box. Fast as it is, I do not think I can work with it.   This is where apple wins, hands down.  The Threadripper box is really(really, really) fast, but it is too loud. The case required to put it in, is huge, and is basically a mounting frame, for fans. The motherboard, has a mental number of fan connectors. if you connected them all, it would sound like fricken drone. To be honest, its all a bit daft, and I hate it already. 

Paul

Paul,

I remember you were mentioning the new TR in another thread.
Hearing that is loud is not a good news of course. Is this a custom built PC or a brand? (MSI, Dell, HP...)

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by ScientiaViz: Here's a Cinebench score for the 10-core iMac Pro with the 16GB Vegas and 64GB RAM. The chip is the w-2150B.

Initial reaction is this seems like a fast machine--about 2-3 times faster than my old 2010 Mac Pro. 
What config is your old Mac Pro? I am thinking of buying a 10-core iMac Pro as a partner to my 12-core MP, which would also add a second display.

12 December 2017
Mid 2010,
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8 core)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048 MB

Clocks out at a whopping 787 cb score. Its real forte is its 80 single-cpu cb score. 

I might look into what IceCaveMan was suggesting. Could be a nice upgrade for doing working renders.

Last edited by ScientiaViz : 12 December 2017 at 09:41 PM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by tapaul: The Threadripper box is quite loud. The one thing you would not need to do  if you get an apple, is spend countless hours trying to make a box that you have paid for, and want to be working with, less noisy. I am already fed up, and currently preoccupied with where to put this box. Fast as it is, I do not think I can work with it.   This is where apple wins, hands down.  The Threadripper box is really(really, really) fast, but it is too loud. The case required to put it in, is huge, and is basically a mounting frame, for fans. The motherboard, has a mental number of fan connectors. if you connected them all, it would sound like fricken drone. To be honest, its all a bit daft, and I hate it already. 

Paul
Really?
Mine is quiet, a muffled hum while it renders away, I can hear when the HD is spinning back up. I was surprised how discrete it is because I opted for Noctua air cooling.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by laurent: Really?
Mine is quiet, a muffled hum while it renders away, I can hear when the HD is spinning back up. I was surprised how discrete it is because I opted for Noctua air cooling.
I've a Noctua U14S on my  Threadripper slave and it's decent(but still nowhere near as silent as a nMP), unfortunately the real issues is the build in fan of the Asus Prime motherboard that is terribly loud, I hope some BIOS update will fix the problem because for now the noise is terrible. 

12 December 2017
I guess I'm an anomaly here; I love my white noise machines at night - there's nothing like the steady whir of a fan to put me to sleep. So computer noise really doesn't bother me at all as long as it's a steady noise. 

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I guess I'm an anomaly here; I love my white noise machines at night - there's nothing like the steady whir of a fan to put me to sleep. So computer noise really doesn't bother me at all as long as it's a steady noise. 

Same here, pretty much.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by sirio: I've a Noctua U14S on my  Threadripper slave and it's decent(but still nowhere near as silent as a nMP), unfortunately the real issues is the build in fan of the Asus Prime motherboard that is terribly loud, I hope some BIOS update will fix the problem because for now the noise is terrible. 

This bios fix is for the ROG Zenith but it shares the same shroud fan than the prime, could you implement it?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by laurent: This bios fix is for the ROG Zenith but it shares the same shroud fan than the prime, could you implement it?

This is the first thing I've tried but it doesn't work.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by dsp_418: Paul,

I remember you were mentioning the new TR in another thread.
Hearing that is loud is not a good news of course. Is this a custom built PC or a brand? (MSI, Dell, HP...)
it is a custom build. I could not find anyone selling a threadripper config, that did not look like a gamer box. I had it built by a local firm, as I take no pleasure in building pc's anymore.

The build is as follows.

threadripper 1950x
enermax watercooling (two fans that you can not turn off, even at idle)
asus prime 
phantek case (a huge thing, with a glass door, which is very practical) (4 fans in the case, could be 8 or more, which would be stupid) 
PNY 1080ti (two fans that wont stop spinning, and are surprisingly loud)

I am not sure if the watercooling was a good idea,  if the case was a good idea, or if the gfx card was a good idea. I am looking for a passive gfx card now, cos I don't actually do a lot of rendering or anything that would stress such a card, and that  monster gfx card is ridiculously loud when it has to do anything.  If anyone has a component list, for a silent threadripper, please let me know.

What i need now is a silent, single threaded number cruncher, with lots of ram, and very little gpu. That would be more use to me right now than this threadripper. looking right now for best single threaded performance, and total silcence. Surely there are oem's with ready built boxes.

Paul

Last edited by tapaul : 12 December 2017 at 11:21 AM.

12 December 2017
I have used Watercooling (mostly Corsair) for quite a lot of developer machines here in the office and for my latest private builds as well. So far they prove to be reliable, no cooling failure yet, as well as silent, which is important if you have 5 developers using high powered PCs in the same room.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by tapaul: it is a custom build. I could not find anyone selling a threadripper config, that did not look like a gamer box. I had it built by a local firm, as I take no pleasure in building pc's anymore.

The build is as follows.

threadripper 1950x
enermax watercooling (two fans that you can not turn off, even at idle)
asus prime 
phantek case (a huge thing, with a glass door, which is very practical) (4 fans in the case, could be 8 or more, which would be stupid) 
PNY 1080ti (two fans that wont stop spinning, and are surprisingly loud)

I am not sure if the watercooling was a good idea,  if the case was a good idea, or if the gfx card was a good idea. I am looking for a passive gfx card now, cos I don't actually do a lot of rendering or anything that would stress such a card, and that  monster gfx card is ridiculously loud when it has to do anything.  If anyone has a component list, for a silent threadripper, please let me know.

What i need now is a silent, single threaded number cruncher, with lots of ram, and very little gpu. That would be more use to me right now than this threadripper. looking right now for best single threaded performance, and total silcence. Surely there are oem's with ready built boxes.

Paul

Thanks for the information, Paul.
From your description, it seems the loudest thing is the video card.
Where I work we went through different brands and models. Some of them were very loud, like extremely loud, whereas the latest we bought are very silent:
http://trix.ws/zuq97

reply share thread