Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
Why everybody thinks  a pro machine is a machine that is open and upgradeable? This is an upgradable machine not a pro machine.
For me a "Pro" machine is the one you use to work and you don't need to be a IT guy to make it work or render. Or spend a week putting it together and trying every driver to make the new monitor work.
A Pro machine is a machine that let you work, without having to think about it.

Of course is nice to have an upgradable machine and be able to change it every year, but this means more money as well.

I have a 2013 mbp, working every day for almost 4 years. It just worked from day one, without having ANY issue, it just let me work for 4 years straight. I think there is a lot of value in that.
I work as a freelancer in a lot of windows pc companies and not even one machine (4 titans, 2 xeons v.4) made me want to change my machine for a new one. 
Of course some renders are faster, but until you get to the render is a looooong way.

I'm not in the market right now, but I don't think the imac pro is a bad option at all, it sure can handle everything you need for creative C4d work. And if I was I would buy one without thinking twice. 

For my current system, and for the imac pro, i would only consider adding an e-gpu to render with redshift, but even they are working on a AMD solution already they told me.
So I'm sure that when this render wars settle all renders will work for every system.

So for people who wants to work with Mac Os and are in the market, I think the imac pro is a very good option right now. 

Best.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by drbello: I have a 2013 mbp, working every day for almost 4 years. It just worked from day one, without having ANY issue, it just let me work for 4 years straight. I think there is a lot of value in that.
I work as a freelancer in a lot of windows pc companies and not even one machine (4 titans, 2 xeons v.4) made me want to change my machine for a new one. 
Of course some renders are faster, but until you get to the render is a looooong way.
So for people who wants to work with Mac Os and are in the market, I think the imac pro is a very good option right now. 

Everyone has had their own experiences though. I've had two MBPs (2008 & 2011), both lemons, both needing logic board replacements, and both experiencing the same issues again afterwards. 

Other people have different needs as well. Sure, if you're doing rigging, character animation, or AE for the vast majority of your work - this could be a great machine. But if you're spending the entire day doing preview renders & need to do long overnight renders 4-5 nights a week, a dual Xeon machine or a 4xGPU box is much better suited for the long term. 

12 December 2017
If I had to spend that much money on a top monitor, I wouldn't want to throw it away the day the hard drives or the power brick fails... or a better computer arrives in the office.

If I had to spend that much money on a top computer, I wouldn't want to throw it away the day I need a better video card or I need more ram, or I have a dead pixel... And I'd love to be able to chose my GPU too...

If I had to spend that much money on a sleek piece of design, I wouldn't want to have to add 2 external egpus and another big ass external Hard Drive to make it actually a worthwhile investment...

So for people who want to work with Mac Os and are in the market, the imac pro might be their only option, but it doesn't really mean it's good. The whole concept looks flawed to me.

All-in-ones are good for general users and laptops... but for a pro desktop workstation it eludes me a bit.

You don't really need that much power to do photoshop, lightroom or Indesign... And if you need that much power, then you need the rest too (big hard drives, RAM, gpus...)

But I guess there's a market for that, I just don't know who this is for...

12 December 2017
Just an fyi I caught on FB:

If an iMac Pro becomes unresponsive and requires restoring, like if there's a power failure during a software update, there are a special set of instructions iMac Pro users must follow, which require a secondary Mac.

Another thing to consider I guess.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ator-2.2095312/

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Interesting that at the iMac Pro press reveal last week, Cinema 4D developers were in attendance showing of ProRender using two eGPUs, presumably running AMD cards. 

Also, this from Digital Arts: "... you can connect an external graphics card over Thunderbolt 3. I saw an iMac Pro running Cinema 4D connected to two Sonnet eGFX Breakout Boxes, each with an AMD W9100 inside. This allowed it to work with a hugely complex model of a motorbike - imported from a complete CAD model - in a way that the iMac Pro alone wouldn't be capable of.This requires a version of Cinema 4D (below) that will ship in early Jan and Apple to add full support for eGPUs to macOS High Sierra. This is currently in beta, and is expected to be finally released in early 2018."

that would be myself and a collegue  it was a closed door private press event for 15 of the nets biggest influencial tech sites, and buzzfeed.

Originally Posted by CMPXCHG8B: I've been hearing that these machines have serious thermal management issues, especially if you're running anything on the GPU and CPU at the same time (and the CPU doesn't even have to be loaded down- just under enough of a load that the additional cores aren't completely idling). Likewise, apparently they are NOT quiet machines once they get going. When idle or surfing the internet, they're very quiet, but if you're actually trying to do something, there's a very noticeable hum with dull whooshing noise, which ramps up and down depending on how hard you're using the machine.

I've also heard two reports of these machines outright going into some sort of thermal panic mode when both the CPU and GPU are loaded down to max. Apparently the SMC freaks out and throttles up the fans to 100%, which is EXTREMELY loud, while downclocking both the CPU and GPU to prevent overheating. The machine will continue to work in this state, albeit not very well, but it won't quiet down until it hits some preset threshold at which point the fans return to their normal speeds and the CPU and GPU clock back up... until the same thing happens 30-45 seconds later.

where did you hear this? i was one of the first people on the planet to play with this machine, and trust me, this is a VERY quiet machine. 

i spent 1.5 days demoing c4d on the 10core 64 vega imac pro in new york for the press event your reading about. i tried litterally everything to get the cooling for the GPU and CPU going but could not. nothing. not a peep. using prorender i rendered a piece of cad data with 10 millions polys and 6 thousand objects in the viewport and with plenty of interactive navigation and the only sound came from the eGPUs. even a scene using evey possible PBR effact would not make a sound.

the number one topic of conversation between myself and the journolist present was noise. and we heard nothing.

i can honestly say, as a windows user who thinks macs are a waste of time for 3d work, this machine has changed my mind.
the new imac pro IS a 3d workstaion and will make alot of people very happy.

and if this is what apple can do to an imac, its not hard to imagine what the new mac pro will be like. 

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by theglenster: that would be myself and a collegue  it was a closed door private press event for 15 of the nets biggest influencial tech sites, and buzzfeed.

where did you hear this? i was one of the first people on the planet to play with this machine, and trust me, this is a VERY quiet machine. 

i spent 1.5 days demoing c4d on the 10core 64 vega imac pro in new york for the press event your reading about. i tried litterally everything to get the cooling for the GPU and CPU going but could not. nothing. not a peep. using prorender i rendered a piece of cad data with 10 millions polys and 6 thousand objects in the viewport and with plenty of interactive navigation and the only sound came from the eGPUs. even a scene using evey possible PBR effact would not make a sound.

the number one topic of conversation between myself and the journolist present was noise. and we heard nothing.

i can honestly say, as a windows user who thinks macs are a waste of time for 3d work, this machine has changed my mind.
the new imac pro IS a 3d workstaion and will make alot of people very happy.

and if this is what apple can do to an imac, its not hard to imagine what the new mac pro will be like. 
That is some usefull information that you throw at us. No rumours or non-verified reports but a real world test of someone who is not biased.
Thanks for this!

My wallet is now crying though...

odo

12 December 2017
See, Glen, you totally had me buying the iMac Pro then (I can even get one with a small discount) – until the very last line. Now I have to wait for the Mac Pro... 

12 December 2017
how is lack of noise a selling point for a computer? 

i mean if you buy any decent psu and cpu cooler, most computers run pretty quiet nowdays unless you got 3 gpu's under load, where its normal for noise. 

but once again.. who cares? its a work computer, you're not sleeping next to it. its for professionals, who i assume if they are paying this much money for a computer have atlease a separate room for their workstation.., 

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by theglenster: i spent 1.5 days demoing c4d on the 10core 64 vega imac pro in new york for the press event your reading about. i tried litterally everything to get the cooling for the GPU and CPU going but could not. nothing. not a peep. using prorender i rendered a piece of cad data with 10 millions polys and 6 thousand objects in the viewport and with plenty of interactive navigation and the only sound came from the eGPUs. even a scene using evey possible PBR effact would not make a sound.

Can you clarify, were all of these C4D tests you were throwing at the iMac Pro also including an eGPU simultaneously, [or were there "heavy scenes" where] even without the eGPUs, you could not make the viewport "choke" with this machine? [Edit: 10m poly 6k object scene not withstanding]

Last edited by Blinny : 12 December 2017 at 02:12 AM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: how is lack of noise a selling point for a computer? 

err its a HUGE selling point.

Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: but once again.. who cares? its a work computer, you're not sleeping next to it. its for professionals, who i assume if they are paying this much money for a computer have atlease a separate room for their workstation.., 
it seems that everyone but you is concerned about the noise a workstation makes. litterally every single jounalist i spoke to wanted to know about the noise, everyone i work with wants to know about the noise and people here are asking about the noise. even apple themselves wanted to see me put the imac pro under stress to see what it sounds like.
and yes in fact i DO sleep next to my workstation at home because i live in the middle of frankfurt where the rents are INSANE. so yeah, noise IS a make or break issure for many people. and even when working in an office and the machine next to you sounds like a 747 reading for take off is going to drive everyone single person in that office crazy!

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: Can you clarify, were all of these C4D tests you were throwing at the iMac Pro also including an eGPU simultaneously, [or were there "heavy scenes" where] even without the eGPUs, you could not make the viewport "choke" with this machine? [Edit: 10m poly 6k object scene not withstanding]

i tried with and without the eGPUs attached. 

12 December 2017
Hi Glen. Do you have any benchmarks for C4D rendering with CPUs? Would love to see how it compares to my ageing 12-core Mac Pro. If it's twice as fast in multithreaded tasks, as I suspect, that would be very tempting...

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Hi Glen. Do you have any benchmarks for C4D rendering with CPUs? Would love to see how it compares to my ageing 12-core Mac Pro. If it's twice as fast in multithreaded tasks, as I suspect, that would be very tempting...

hi,
sorry i have no benchmarks at all. like i said, im not even a mac user. so all my comments are based on my use of the imac pro only and not to be used as comparrisons with other macs. 
cheers

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by theglenster: err its a HUGE selling point.

it seems that everyone but you is concerned about the noise a workstation makes. litterally every single jounalist i spoke to wanted to know about the noise, everyone i work with wants to know about the noise and people here are asking about the noise. even apple themselves wanted to see me put the imac pro under stress to see what it sounds like.
and yes in fact i DO sleep next to my workstation at home because i live in the middle of frankfurt where the rents are INSANE. so yeah, noise IS a make or break issure for many people. and even when working in an office and the machine next to you sounds like a 747 reading for take off is going to drive everyone single person in that office crazy!
I absolutely agree with this.  I wonder how it will do with ZBrush?  Something about the its code gets the Mac fans starting so much quicker than when running on Windows machines.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by theglenster: i tried with and without the eGPUs attached. 

OK..... and what was your experience when there were no eGPUs attached and you were running very heavy scenes? Were you still unable to slow the viewport down, no matter how you attempted to interact with it or change settings? 

reply share thread