Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
I'm absolutely in the market, and surely waiting for a new Mac Pro. But when will that finally see the light? Will it be 2018 indeed or rather 2019 like some reports. And then what will Apple cook? Will it be worth the wait and remotely affordable?
So for now the iMac Pro is a reality and certainly an interesting option.† But like others wrote, I guess it is crucial if the enclosure is able to handle the heat when you use full CPU and/or GPU power. So lets wait and see what early adopters are saying. For FCPX and stuff it is probably a no brainer, but for 3D I need more real-world evidence.

odo

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Did some googling and looks like they start at 5K and the maxed out ones †would be over 13K (some reports that they are in the 17K range)

For that price you can get a seriously fast Win10 workstation + a 64 Core AMD EPYC render slave to crunch your slowest renders on.

Buying Apple is like buying a Rolex watch. You are paying for the LUXURY BRANDNAME and the LOGO on the box, not the bog ordinary PC hardware/machine you are actually getting inside an Apple casing.

Except of course that a Rolex watch in pristine condition can be resold for pretty good money 10 - 15 years from now.

10 years from now that 17K Mac Pro won't be worth crap if you try to resell it.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by skeebertus: 10 years from now that 17K PC won't be worth crap if you try to resell it.
What part of†
Quote: **TO PC ONLY ADVOCATES, PLEASE DO NOT CHIME IN! I AM MAC ONLY AND FOREVER!**

didn't you understand?

12 December 2017
Imho the concept of any "Pro" all in one is just nonsense, let alone at 13K a piece.

An "All-in-One" is fine for casual work, but in a pro grahics environment, if you invest in a high-end monitor, you want to keep it on different machines. If your GPU isn't cutting it anymore you want to upgrade it, if your Hard drives is nearing capacity you swap them, you need a capture card of some sort, you plug it in etc...

Here you can't do any of that, you put all your eggs in one basket, and the weakest element is affecting all the rest.

Plus the hard drives are actually memory on the motherboard, you can't easily access RAM, it doesn't support CUDA... So on top of your 13K, you still need egpu enclosures, external hard-drives...

So what's the point of buying a sleek All-in-one then if you have to "frankenstein" it with a daisy-chain of ugly boxes all around (with their respective power supplies etc...) to really make the best of it?

Just buy a modular system and a separate good monitor, that'll be money much better spent. There may be no official Apple products that fit the bill as of today, but you can build one running OSX or maybe wait for the next MacPro.

And no, this is not an Anti-Apple rant or a PC "only" advice. It's about what I think "Pro" means and the form factor. And for good measure, as much as I love the concept and look of the Surface Studio from Microsoft, i think it's equally stupid to have attached the awsome tilt monitor to the rest of the computer for anything more than Photoshop...

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Maybe because your skepticism was laced with a suggestion to go PC? You just had to sneak that in there...†† to which the OP has already stated:

I don't know if the original post was edited or I just skipped over the last couple lines but I'm not some PC advocate. I've purchased and used exclusively Macs since 1992 and am a trash can and MBP owner. Hope that meets your lofty credential requirements for people not being a "PC troll" or whatever it is you seem to be suggesting.

Just trying to help the guy not waste his money. The suggestion to buy a PC isn't even a suggestion to abandon the Mac platform encessarily: example - someone has a big job they need to work on NOW, and have x budget, maybe right now PC is the best option for what they want. Doesn't mean in 6 or 8 months they don't buy a new Mac Pro and use the PC for other stuff / other parts of the workflow... or even sell it.

Anyway, anyone who wants to buy an iMac Pro, have at it ó I think it's a collosal waste of money, even given my love for Mac as a platform.

Carry on. I'll vacate the thread premises.

12 December 2017
perspective:

if you purchase† around 32k apple shares, for around 312k usd , your yearly div, would just about cover the leasing price, for this maxed out imac pro

Paul

12 December 2017
Apple better finally hit it out of the park with the 2018 Mac Pro, because a pro machine simply isn't a pro machine until it is modular and expandable. I'm a diehard mac user that has almost jumped ship several times because of the lack of GPU options. I was duped into buying the Trash Can with its promise of massive GPU power, only to find out, too late, that those two sort of powerful GPUs would go largely unused and that all modern GPU renderers use Nvidia cards. It's just ridiculous. I don't know who this iMac Pro is aimed toward. People who want to work on really big Photoshop files? I can't think of any other reason to own it.

12 December 2017
Apple's pro focus has been more on 4k and 8k realtime video editing. I guess thats who these machines are geared for. They mention 3D and simulations. For sims--maybe these would be most handy in a research lab. I think Apple obviously made a bad move in their choice of gpu partnering and know they cant do much about it. If these were stuffed with dual Titan Vs at these prices this might be a different story.

12 December 2017
from my article: http://ace5studios.com/hardware

Quote: Also i notice some people think more ram will make your system faster. This is true to some extent, but its not like adding more ram will make your existing system faster. Think of ram like waiters at a restaurant. If you donít have enough of them you REALLY need more, otherwise everything grinds to a halt. But once you have enough, adding more wonít help. They will just sit there with nothing to do. Ram is similar. If you donít have enough itís going to slow you down a lot because, you computer will have to swap files in and out of ram from your hard drive. But if you have 16gb, and donít use the whole capacity adding more wont have any effect.

12 December 2017
If someone wants to stay Mac and is interested in...
-The best performance
-The most flexibility
-The greatest convenience
-Sublime value

Here's what to do...

Buy the old cheese-grater MacPro. Used. You heard me right. Please follow the logic.

-You can run 12-core, 24-thread MacPro and have slots to play with. CPU speed 3,200 GHz
-Put a Nvidia Titan or 1080TI inside and a second nice GPU to drive your monitors
-Add a $50 USB III card
-Load RAM
-Buy TWO Premium 30-40" monitors
-Invest in Redshift or Octane

Such a machine will rival the 8-Core iMac Pro in CPU performance and ***beat** it in GPU performance--and you will have Nvidia CUDA, which is critical for most GPU-based 3d renderers (Octane, RedShift). You'll have double the screen real estate with the flexibility of moving the monitors around or pairing them w/different computers down the road. You can even replace or migrate your GPU investments.

Those were the last real Pro machines and they are TANKS. They work and work and reliably work some more.

But I know. Not as sexy as a new Apple.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 12 December 2017 at 02:56 AM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Buy the old cheese-grater MacPro. Used. You heard me right. Please follow the logic.

-You can run 12-core, 24-thread MacPro and have slots to play with. CPU speed 3,200 GHz
-Put a Nvidia Titan or 1080TI inside and a second nice GPU to drive your monitors
-Add a $50 USB III card
-Load RAM

Those were the last real Pro machines and they are TANKS. They work and work and reliably work some more.

But I know. Not as sexy as a new Apple.

This config setting will be faster than iMac Pro (new) and Mac Pro (black cylinder) which are using using new Xeon processor or higher cache....?

12 December 2017
my advice: don't.
as others have already stated, not a smart move if you're doing 3D work. btw, i'm a 20+ years mac user, so not a windows pc advocate at all. IMO mac users doing 3D work really have just 4 options at the moment:

1. get a refurbished cheese-grater with some more or less up to date hardware in it .
2. wait for the new mac pro to come out and hope it will work in a really modular fashion and also supports nvidia cards again. also hope you can afford it.
3. build a hackintosh.
4. switch to pc hardware and windows.

personally, i opted for solution 3, my faith in apples will to serve the pro market shrunk to a minimum over the last couple of years. and i'm not willing to throw another 8k or so down their throat for a machine that doesn't really suit my needs. and i'm not brave enough to make the jump to windows yet.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by iac: This config setting will be faster than iMac Pro (new) and Mac Pro (black cylinder) which are using using new Xeon processor or higher cache....?

Intel Xeon's have not improved much in performance over the past five years. 12 of the old cores will be comparable to the 8 cores in the new iMacPro for rendering. Though viewport speed would be 30% faster in R19 with an IMacPro...I think that could change in R20 as we may see multi-threaded viewport. If that happens viewport performance won't be a major consideration.

As for GPU - the more important component - IMO, a new top of the line Nvidia GPU will best what is in the new iMacPro. The MacOS supports Nvidia drivers for the latest 1080, 1080TI, etc. You also have PCI slots left over for 1 or 2 smaller cards. (Probably just one if you put a big card in.)

I have two big PC here but also my old MacPro. I'll test a 1080 inside the MacPro and report back my findings.

Note: Redshift and Octane currently require Nvidia.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 12 December 2017 at 09:53 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Interesting that at the iMac Pro press reveal last week, Cinema 4D developers were in attendance showing of ProRender using two eGPUs, presumably running AMD cards.†

Also, this from Digital Arts: "... you can connect an external graphics card over Thunderbolt 3. I saw an iMac Pro running Cinema 4D connected to two Sonnet eGFX Breakout Boxes, each with an AMD W9100 inside. This allowed it to work with a hugely complex model of a motorbike - imported from a complete CAD model - in a way that the iMac Pro alone wouldn't be capable of.This requires a version of Cinema 4D (below) that will ship in early Jan and Apple to add full support for eGPUs to macOS High Sierra. This is currently in beta, and is expected to be finally released in early 2018."

Last edited by Darth Mole : 4 Weeks Ago at 02:50 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by tapaul: perspective:

if you purchase† around 32k apple shares, for around 312k usd , your yearly div, would just about cover the leasing price, for this maxed out imac pro

Paul
Youíre math seems off...

another, more accurate way to state it:

if if you buy 3174 shares (at $174 each), for about $552,000, you could buy outright one $8000 iMac Pro per year with the dividends (currently at $2.52 per year).

🙂

reply share thread