Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

Ok,

I am real excited about the new iMac Pro that came out today, but was curious which one I should get.

First, I have between 5500-5800 to spend. From what I understand I can get the 8 core 64 GB machine with 8 GB video card

OR the 8 core 32 GB machine with 16 GB video card.

I use after effects a lot as well as Cinema 4D. Do I go with more RAM or faster video card? I want faster rendering and faster realtime playback. I have never got a clear answer on what affects these 2 processes, I know that both RAM and video card play a role.

**TO PC ONLY ADVOCATES, PLEASE DO NOT CHIME IN! I AM MAC ONLY AND FOREVER!**

12 December 2017
That's...limiting. Thankfully, it looks like Apple might be coming back to producing professional products. I'm withholding judgment until the new Mac Pros are announced.

As far as the new iMac Pros go:
For AE and Cinema 4D, what matters most while you are working is single core clock speed of your CPU, not GPU.
When it comes to rendering in C4D, if you're using Standard or Physical, the amount of cores multiplied by your clock speed of your CPU is what matters.
With (most)rendering inAE, what matters most is your single core clock speed still.

Unless you have a 3rd-party renderer (or TurbulenceFD), the GPU is mostly irrelevant to C4D(other than the OpenGL viewport stuff).
Thereare very few 3rd-party renderers that use AMD cards at all, so...the GPUs in Apple products are still pretty pointless for most C4D users. I think Cycles 4D is the only production-ready GPU-renderer that can use AMD cards. I can't promise anything though because most people I talked to who use it, use it with NVIDIA cardsand I haven't been asking around to hear how well its OpenCL implementation works. ProRender (which comes with C4D R19), by MAXON's own marketing materials, isn't fully ready for production.

For After Effects, third party plugins (like Element 3d) use the GPU and a few native effects use it too (like Fractal Noise), but other than those few things (and third-party stuff), GPUs don't do much for you in AE either.

Does that help?

12 December 2017
The sweet spot if you cannot go all out is the 10-core version, as it has the best single core speed, and 10-cores should make it a capable cpu-renderer.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

12 December 2017
Been curious about this new imac since I heard the announcement the other day (against my better judgement)

Are there prices posted anywhere? Currently it says you need to chat or call directly to find out more. I predict something like 12K for the maxed out 18 core model.

And I'd still have to buy an eGPU box to run Redshift.

As for the OPs question about RAM--for me lots of ram is important when working in heavy 3d scenes in c4d. Lots of complex geometry and deformers as well as sub surface scattering use lots of ram when preparing the scene prior to pixels being rendered. For me 64gbs is minimum amount of ram I need to get the work done.

Last edited by JoelDubin : 12 December 2017 at 12:46 AM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: I predict something like 12K for the maxed out 18 core model.
I was told 5K for the low end and 10K for the high, but your estimate is probably closer. They offered me a chance to try one out at the local Apple store when they arrive...I'm thinking of giving one a spin.

12 December 2017
For the love of God unless you can expense it or have money to burn, don't drop ~6K on a freaking iMac. If you are absolutely set on it, spend a little more and get the 10-core model as noted earlier. It's easily the best option because there are no apps in this industry that will be limited by 10 cores / 20 threads on a workstation task, and it's the highest clocked part (which is best for C4D). Vega is a nice touch, I'd get the 10-core Vega 64 model with 32GB of RAM but that's only in another dimension where I've lost sanity.

While it's definitely the most powerful iMac they've ever done it's a stop-gap machine by every logical definition and it's badly overpriced unless you truly need that 5K display. Take that $5800 and either hold off for another 6 months or so (hopefully you'll have a new Mac Pro by then) or go PC. You can buy an absolute monster Win10 custom PC for $5800. All these schill reviewers for Apple who say it's not overpriced are conventiently pretending like every PC priced has to have a 5K display with it. Which of course is BS.

12 December 2017
Did some googling and looks like they start at 5K and the maxed out ones would be over 13K (some reports that they are in the 17K range)

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.
https://youtu.be/-9ZQVlgfEAc?t=1m16s

I'll probably still end up getting one though

Last edited by JoelDubin : 12 December 2017 at 03:42 AM.

12 December 2017
13K-17K yikes! I'm going to have to raise my rates.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: For the love of God unless you can expense it or have money to burn, don't drop ~6K on a freaking iMac. I...You can buy an absolute monster Win10 custom PC for $5800. All these schill reviewers for Apple who say it's not overpriced are conventiently pretending like every PC priced has to have a 5K display with it. Which of course is BS.
That didn't take long. Flogging a dead horse, why am I not surprised?

12 December 2017
It might be best to wait for the New New Mac Pro that is supposed to be released in 2018 which I hope lets people decide AMD or Nvidia for their graphics needs (user installable card(s).) I can dream.

12 December 2017
I wouldn't buy one right now.

Wait a month or two, otherwise you're going to get burned by being an early adopter.

I've been hearing that these machines have serious thermal management issues, especially if you're running anything on the GPU and CPU at the same time (and the CPU doesn't even have to be loaded down- just under enough of a load that the additional cores aren't completely idling). Likewise, apparently they are NOT quiet machines once they get going. When idle or surfing the internet, they're very quiet, but if you're actually trying to do something, there's a very noticeable hum with dull whooshing noise, which ramps up and down depending on how hard you're using the machine.

I've also heard two reports of these machines outright going into some sort of thermal panic mode when both the CPU and GPU are loaded down to max. Apparently the SMC freaks out and throttles up the fans to 100%, which is EXTREMELY loud, while downclocking both the CPU and GPU to prevent overheating. The machine will continue to work in this state, albeit not very well, but it won't quiet down until it hits some preset threshold at which point the fans return to their normal speeds and the CPU and GPU clock back up... until the same thing happens 30-45 seconds later.

I'm not saying "don't buy one", just "don't buy one right now". I'm getting the feeling that Apple was really fighting with their designers over this machine (form over function and all that stuff), and they made some compromises they really shouldn't have. I would highly recommend waiting and seeing how all this stuff plays out before you invest that much money into an AIO system.

-CMPX

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Cometsoft: That didn't take long. Flogging a dead horse, why am I not surprised?
What dead horse? Are people only allowed to express skepticism at the iMac Pro the first time it's announced and not again including when someone asks directly? Did you see my comments about the Mac Pro? Trying to give the guy some sound advice. Not sure why anyone would take issue.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: Not sure why anyone would take issue.

Maybe because your skepticism was laced with a suggestion to go PC? You just had to sneak that in there... to which the OP has already stated:
Originally Posted by songweaver: **TO PC ONLY ADVOCATES, PLEASE DO NOT CHIME IN! I AM MAC ONLY AND FOREVER!**

@songweaver:I tend to agree that it might too early now to settle on the iMac Pro, for all the reasons already stated. Especially with the modular Mac Pro on its way (even if it's a year or more away!). Unless of course, you absolutely need a high-clock CPU desktop Mac right now, and running thunderbolt eGPU on a used Mac Pro as a stop-gap measure doesn't work for you.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: For the love of God unless you can expense it or have money to burn, don't drop ~6K on a freaking iMac. If you are absolutely set on it, spend a little more and get the 10-core model as noted earlier. It's easily the best option because there are no apps in this industry that will be limited by 10 cores / 20 threads on a workstation task, and it's the highest clocked part (which is best for C4D). Vega is a nice touch, I'd get the 10-core Vega 64 model with 32GB of RAM but that's only in another dimension where I've lost sanity.

While it's definitely the most powerful iMac they've ever done it's a stop-gap machine by every logical definition and it's badly overpriced unless you truly need that 5K display. Take that $5800 and either hold off for another 6 months or so (hopefully you'll have a new Mac Pro by then) or go PC. You can buy an absolute monster Win10 custom PC for $5800. All these schill reviewers for Apple who say it's not overpriced are conventiently pretending like every PC priced has to have a 5K display with it. Which of course is BS.
What he said!

12 December 2017
As others wrote, I would wait unless you absolutely need it right now. This iMac Pro looks like an over priced temporarily solution to the lack of proper MacPro hardware. If you buy one now and the new MacPro comes out (and hopefully delivers...) you might find yourself wishing you had waited with your purchase.

I'm a MacFan myself. My heart jumped up after reading the news too, then I realized all the cons that come with having everything crammed into a display. So I'm back into my hibernation mode.

reply share thread