Cactus Dan tools...what now?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: Originally Posted by zeden:Buisness wise it was the best decision they ever made. That market is 20-50 times bigger and it exploded their user base. I think the success of C4D is tightly connected to the introduction of the Mograph module. But a thread like this shows there is a lot of work to do for them.

The reality, as I see it ,is this:
As long as Maxon can presumably remain a profitable
software publisher in the CAD/viz /Broadcast graphics market.
Why commit development resources to Character tools
when serious Character driven Filmmakers are using other solutions??

The same with VFX to a certain extent.

Sure I could transition to Houdini at some future time.

Right now I am running ancient version of C4D (studio R11.5)
I have MODO, and Realflow,Iclone Pro+3Dxchange
& Natural Motion Endorphin(Full license with Data export.)
Lightwave 2015 and or Blender for Smoke FX.

So as a single operator& digital filmaker, interested in Sci fi based
Character driven stories still running R11.5 , what have I missed this past decade??.

More render engine options??( prorender ,Cycles4D etc)

The world of CG has become over run with
All manner of physically based render options
accessable to most people now.

Cloth simulation on ambulating characters??
Still truly possible in Cinema4D R19

The optional $50 USD optitex plugin
for Daz is a better option for me.

At this point in history I see no reason for Maxon to try to compete
with others in those areas if they are still
selling licenses to motion Graphics Artists.

Can't agree. They can't stand still, they will be dead. Blender will come with "all nodes" by 2018-2020. They will sooner or later have to get something like X-Particles, something like People in Motion plugin or more advanced, hardops style modeling and fix the interaction.
Anyone knows if the core fixing they are doing is just making it multihreaded or something more deep?
I was happy to see that despite being one of later Redshift developments they could get a fast IPR in C4D (around 15m20 to 16min ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...4&v=GgIyeP28FIg
while Maya version still does not have it.

Last edited by Bullit : 3 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
Has anyone tried this:https://www.nukeygara.com/

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on it if they have.I've been playing with the demo version and have had fun working in it. I first heard about it on a thread at the Foundry's forum. Granted, I'm very new to learning character animation. I didn't get very far into trying Cinema's character tools before feeling like I was hitting roadblocks, but that is most likely just me and my lack of experience. I've been working with Cinema for several years, but I just recently started diving into the character tools.

Akeytsu imports and exports FBX files. They have a test animation available in the app. I imported it into Cinema, and the animation seemed to work great. At the moment, it might not be the best option for complex rigs (I'm not the best person to evaluate that), but I've found it to be very intuitive and development is ongoing, so I would expect it continue to improve. It has already been in development for over two years. Also, they offer a perpetual license, not subscription. Big plus in my book. It also can directly export into Unity and Unreal.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by RonStoppable: Has anyone tried this:https://www.nukeygara.com/

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on it if they have.I've been playing with the demo version and have had fun working in it. I first heard about it on a thread at the Foundry's forum. Granted, I'm very new to learning character animation. I didn't get very far into trying Cinema's character tools before feeling like I was hitting roadblocks, but that is most likely just me and my lack of experience. I've been working with Cinema for several years, but I just recently started diving into the character tools.

Akeytsu imports and exports FBX files. They have a test animation available in the app. I imported it into Cinema, and the animation seemed to work great. At the moment, it might not be the best option for complex rigs (I'm not the best person to evaluate that), but I've found it to be very intuitive and development is ongoing, so I would expect it continue to improve. It has already been in development for over two years. Also, they offer a perpetual license, not subscription. Big plus in my book. It also can directly export into Unity and Unreal.

I've had my eye on them for a while. Perhaps by the time I'm good enough to need it, they will have their finished their Mac version (and linux version for the power users).

3 Weeks Ago
Someone mentioned that they talked to the developers, and they are working on a Mac version. There may be news by the end of the year. At least, that is how I remember it. The Foundry's forum is currently down for maintenance, so I can't quote it exactly.

reply share thread