GoZ script problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
GoZ script problems

Hi

Is anybody successfully using the GoZ bridge between R19 and ZBrush 4R8?
It seems that it's been busted for the last couple of versions.
It works fine from ZBrush to C4D but always errors when going from C4D to ZBrush.
The error relates to the names of objects and takes the form:

GoZ Note:
"Object_x" already exists in the current GoZbrush project.
The object will be renamed "Object_x2"

So if, for instance, you have 4 cubes in your scene each named "Cube" they all get renamed "Cube2" and just one of them gets exported.

With any luck it's something minor that's wrong with the script and how it's checking for duplicate objects.
Getting this fixed would be great

3 Weeks Ago
Sadly except recoding the GoZ plugin you can't do alot.

Anyway here a script I made for get out of the mesh XX already exist message, So by export all your cube one by one it should work. (But yeah it's boring)
Select your objects and run this script

import c4d
import os
def main():
    GoZ_CONTAINER_ID = 2000000

objs = doc.GetActiveObjects(c4d.GETACTIVEOBJECTFLAGS_CHIL  DREN)
    doc.StartUndo()
    for obj in objs:
        doc.AddUndo(c4d.UNDOTYPE_CHANGE, obj)
        bc = obj.GetDataInstance()
        old_file_path = bc[GoZ_CONTAINER_ID]
        if not old_file_path:
            continue

file_to_delete = list()
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ ".ztn")
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ ".ztl")
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ ".GoZ")
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ "_TXTR.tif")
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ "_NM.tif")
        file_to_delete.append(old_file_path+ "_DISP.tif")

for f in file_to_delete:
            if os.path.exists(f):
                os.remove(f)
        bc[GoZ_CONTAINER_ID] = ""

doc.EndUndo()
    c4d.EventAdd()
    c4d.gui.MessageDialog("Succes")
if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

Should fix everything !

Last edited by gr4ph0s : 3 Weeks Ago at 10:07 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks for taking the time to do that

I'm probably doing something stupid but when I run the script I get the following message in the console:

[FAIL] Script 'GoZ patch' Line 2 Pos 1 : Function declaration expected

and nothing appears to happen.

User error?

2 Weeks Ago
Glad someone brought this up, it reminds me:

Everything I see on their site suggests GoZ doesn't work with anything later than R17. It's one of the reasons I have not purchased 4R8, despite some pretty amazing modeling features that can solve a lot of problems C4D (thus far) cannot. But it's not worth a whole lot if you have to force the amazing model / mesh you created through hacks to get their C4D exporter to work, or worse f around with crap formats like STL.

Looks like if you can't get GoZ to work you're stuck with OBJ export or what they describe as a partial feature set FBX export? Curious to hear peoples experiences, to understand how much fumbling around they have to do to get a finished Zbrush mesh into C4D while maintaining its detail.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Glad someone brought this up, it reminds me:

Everything I see on their site suggests GoZ doesn't work with anything later than R17. It's one of the reasons I have not purchased 4R8, despite some pretty amazing modeling features that can solve a lot of problems C4D (thus far) cannot. But it's not worth a whole lot if you have to force the amazing model / mesh you created through hacks to get their C4D exporter to work, or worse f around with crap formats like STL.

Looks like if you can't get GoZ to work you're stuck with OBJ export or what they describe as a partial feature set FBX export? Curious to hear peoples experiences, to understand how much fumbling around they have to do to get a finished Zbrush mesh into C4D while maintaining its detail.

I have Zbrush 4R8 and C4D 18/19 (primarily use 18 at the moment), but I'm curious as to what the issue is with exporting to OBJ or FBX to import into ZBrush. Unfortunately, I don't use Zbrush as much as I'd like to, but I haven't had any issues with the odd occasion where I exported from C4D and imported into ZBrush.

1 Week Ago
What does your typical workflow look like? My understanding from watching their instructional videos and the like is you can build (from scratch) some pretty amazing models / meshes that you can't build in C4D (or most other DCC packages) — using their more flexible primitives system, dynamesh, live boolean, etc. Which is all great and I was ready to make the investment right up until I started digging around for import/export documentation (some of which seemed pretty outdated - like some of the feature videos on their site).

Per my earlier comment I got the impression that the export options in particular are limited, both in terms of which C4D versions it can "talk to" and in terms of the degree to which some of the standard formats like FBX / OBJ are supported. Can't remember which one but one of them had a note to the effect of "partial feature support" which makes me think that maybe you build up your amazing model but as soon as you try to "convert" it to go into C4D, you might loose the look of it or the detail to some degree.

Basically my assumption here is, given the weaknesses in some of C4D's modeling and sculpting tools, wouldn't the main reason for ZBrush be to circumvent those limitations, build better models / meshes  in shorter time and then bring them into C4D for other parts of the workflow? Technically I guess the same kind of questions about apply to any textures or painting done in ZBrush as well. But the way I'm envisioning using it may not be the way people typically do. Sounds like you're talking about a very different workflow — maybe moving a model into ZBrush for painting or texturing?

1 Week Ago
I'm not sure what the hesitance is here with respect to ZBrush to C4D workflow. It is robust and more or less standard for many DCC packages.

I ignore GoZ, since it seems to be more or less moribund. And its real claim to fame was the ability to pop back and forth between a DCC app and ZBrush, which has become less necessary as ZBrush's tools have improved (specifically zmodeller, and live booleans).

A typical workflow in going from ZBrush to C4D is:

- Model in ZBrush, using its broad suite of modelling options. You can usually ignore topology at this stage.
- Duplicate your mesh
- Retopologize the mesh using ZRemesher.
- Add UV coordinates with UV Master (Zplugin).
- Subdivide your retopologized mesh a few times; reproject detail from original high-res sculpt.
- Optional: subdivide further, and add high-frequency detail
- Optional: polypaint color onto the mesh.
- Export low-res retopologized mesh as OBJ.
- Export displacement and/or color maps with the Multimap export Zplugin.
- Import OBJ into C4D, create material with displacement and colour maps. Sub-poly displacement restores detail. 
- Profit!

Of course there are many potential variants if you want to add other, specialty programs (like Mari, or something  for UV coordinates) into the mix. Or if you are exporting for realtime, you might export a normal map rather than a displacement map.

There are some wrinkles in terms of how you export displacements, and how different render engines interpret them, but it is not difficult to troubleshoot.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I'm not sure what the hesitance is here with respect to ZBrush to C4D workflow. It is robust and more or less standard for many DCC packages.

I ignore GoZ, since it seems to be more or less moribund. And its real claim to fame was the ability to pop back and forth between a DCC app and ZBrush, which has become less necessary as ZBrush's tools have improved (specifically zmodeller, and live booleans).

A typical workflow in going from ZBrush to C4D is:

- Model in ZBrush, using its broad suite of modelling options. You can usually ignore topology at this stage.
- Duplicate your mesh
- Retopologize the mesh using ZRemesher.
- Add UV coordinates with UV Master (Zplugin).
- Subdivide your retopologized mesh a few times; reproject detail from original high-res sculpt.
- Optional: subdivide further, and add high-frequency detail
- Optional: polypaint color onto the mesh.
- Export low-res retopologized mesh as OBJ.
- Export displacement and/or color maps with the Multimap export Zplugin.
- Import OBJ into C4D, create material with displacement and colour maps. Sub-poly displacement restores detail. 
- Profit!

Of course there are many potential variants if you want to add other, specialty programs (like Mari, or something  for UV coordinates) into the mix. Or if you are exporting for realtime, you might export a normal map rather than a displacement map.

There are some wrinkles in terms of how you export displacements, and how different render engines interpret them, but it is not difficult to troubleshoot.
Great info NW. Thanks. Your comment about GoZ is exactly the impression I got — like it was something from 5 years ago that never got updated. Their collection of web sites in general is a strange mix of new and modern-looking stuff and stuff that looks like it was made in 2002.

So basically the process is taking a high poly / highly detailed mesh, and crunching it down with the remesher (which I've read about in a couple places) so that the mesh maintains the same shape and contours while using far fewer polygons... and later you export that same version of the mesh as an OBJ, and when you bring it into C4D as an OBJ... there's no translation issues or cleanup / it just opens the thing and looks as you'd expect it to (short of the small details / displacement stuff not being done yet)?

1 Week Ago
Yeah, GOZ has been Janky for as far as I can remember, I'm pretty sure it has an un-advertised polygon limit too.
Obj is the way to go. Now that both Cinema 4D & ZBrush can re-construct subdivision levels, it's even easier to send meshes back & forth.

reply share thread