reflectance inconsitency between workstation and TRS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Thanks again!

This is really bizarre. Does the client use a different version of the render engine? Or maybe it composites the results together differently than the main app does?
Also--have you tried rendering in standard or physical?
I've been rendering my tests using physical. Havent tried standard yet.

ok to test this i just took the same scene and changed the render engine to Standard

had to run one via the Team Render client using the RQ
and another using the C4D app itself

as obviously the Standard result looks slightly different then the render from the Physical Render engine

the Standard Render engine using the RQ and TR looks less shiny then the physical render from C4D (the good version) but still kinda more shiny

the Standard Render engine using the RQ and TR compared to the Standard Render engine right from C4D itself - looks more "correct" i.e less shiny andmuch closer to the Physical render result

so it does seem Standard Render also blows out the specular when rendered through Team Render Client

dann
-

09 September 2017
This is interesting, and upsetting honestly. After reading this thread, we tested the behavior out over here at Cake, and verified it. Of note, we use Deadline primarily for our DR, and so we ran the test on deadline as well. That frame was identical to the regular single-machine render, meaning that the issue seems to be isolated and specific to TR.

So, while the fact that it happens at all is no good, at least we know that people needing to DR aren't unilaterally hosed, they just need to venture outside the ecosystem.

FWIW, Deadline is a pretty fantastic, robust, and rock solid render manager, working just as well with After Effects as it does with Cinema.

Hopefully Maxon fixes this issue soon, but if not at least there are alternatives.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: So, while the fact that it happens at all is no good, at least we know that people needing to DR aren't unilaterally hosed, they just need to venture outside the ecosystem.

Hopefully Maxon fixes this issue soon, but if not at least there are alternatives.

yes but the "alternatives" costs extra money for a third party render manager and command line rendering options. so hopefully now that it has been identified it can be caught and fixed.

the other option is when rendering and needing multipass is to do one render of just the main RGBA standard beauty pass

then the next render of all the multi-passes and trash the RGB beauty pass from that job and use the first.

at least that costs no more money and uses standard Team Render, but does cost in render time expended and a tad more organizational planning

dann
-

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs: yes but the "alternatives" costs extra money for a third party render manager and command line rendering options. so hopefully now that it has been identified it can be caught and fixed.

the other option is when rendering and needing multipass is to do one render of just the main RGBA standard beauty pass

then the next render of all the multi-passes and trash the RGB beauty pass from that job and use the first.

at least that costs no more money and uses standard Team Render, but does cost in render time expended and a tad more organizational planning

dann
True, but then most things that are worth it do cost. Even without this glitch, I have found Deadline to be far superior to TR. If you do a considerable amount of local distributed rendering, it's a worthy investment.

Having said that, I share your hope that the issue will be located and eradicated quickly, as those who for financial or other reasons must use the in-built system deserve to have a reliable, and workable tool, especially considering the cost of the program.

All I really wanted to do was help solidify that this issue is unique to TR, and not a flaw that extends to other DR managers.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

09 September 2017
Interesting; over the past year I've had consistent gamma issues that involve Vray, the Linear Workflow Checkbox, enabling Multipass, and Render to Picture Viewer vs. Team Render to Picture Viewer - issues that appear only on my workstations and not those of the Vray devs. I've found a workflow that I can use in production, but it's still annoying. Now I'm wondering if it's related to this somehow.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: This is interesting, and upsetting honestly. After reading this thread, we tested the behavior out over here at Cake, and verified it. Of note, we use Deadline primarily for our DR, and so we ran the test on deadline as well. That frame was identical to the regular single-machine render, meaning that the issue seems to be isolated and specific to TR.

So, while the fact that it happens at all is no good, at least we know that people needing to DR aren't unilaterally hosed, they just need to venture outside the ecosystem.

FWIW, Deadline is a pretty fantastic, robust, and rock solid render manager, working just as well with After Effects as it does with Cinema.

Hopefully Maxon fixes this issue soon, but if not at least there are alternatives

Thanks for checking this out Will! Happy to know that its been confirmed by someone else. I havent reported yet but will today. If you and Dann could as well that would help get someone looking at this.

2 Weeks Ago
Just bumping this up--the issue still persists now that we've moved completely over to R19.
There is an issue with how team render handles speculars. I know that doesn't sound logical---but in our testing thats what we found. If we render via another farm setup (farm not using TRS or TR) we get results identical to our workstations. Its not a gamma issue--but specifically speculars.

2 Weeks Ago
This is yet another issue in a very long and ever-expanding list of problems with C4D.

Teamrender in particular is a major disappointment and frankly I'm angry about the daily issues I run into with it and C4D in general. I'm too invested at this point to jump ship so I just vent a little and keep hoping for improvements. I do think 4 years is plenty of time for Teamrender to have been something amazing.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Just bumping this up--the issue still persists now that we've moved completely over to R19.
There is an issue with how team render handles speculars. I know that doesn't sound logical---but in our testing thats what we found. If we render via another farm setup (farm not using TRS or TR) we get results identical to our workstations. Its not a gamma issue--but specifically speculars.

yep it is an issue with Team Render Client it seems as even rendering from C4D using TR Clients it happens... not in C4D locally, nor command line... so seems squarely on Team Render Client as the culprit - but i am pretty sure we said all this already kinda surprised it was not fixed for R19

dann
-

reply share thread