Particle emitter issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Havealot: There is a few things you can do to improve performance. First of all the collision shapes. As Srek already mentioned you can speed up dynamics by using less complex collision shapes. That applies to colliders as well. You have your hollow shape set to "static mesh" which considers all of the available geometry (and there is more geometry than needed to describe the shape you want to have) when calculating the dynamics. The best way to deal with this is to create convex shapes or boxes for each side of the shape and set the dynamics collision shape accordingly (convex hull or box) and turn them invisible. This also increases the precision of the calculations a lot as you are testing collision against a volume instead of against a polygon with zero thickness (which is the case in your scene). That in return will allow you to work with much lower "Steps per Frame". You can probably stick to the default of 5 instead of 30. Last but not least you can enable render instances in the cloner to improve the viewport performance. Overall that should give you quite a bit of speed up. If that is still not enough the caching should do. If you use R18 you can use the "Swap Cloner/Matrix" command to work with a proxy representation while working on camera moves and such. Hope that helps.
Im not really clear what you're saying about crating shapes for each side. Can you please explain more in laymans terms as I'm relatively new to C4D

08 August 2017
Have a look at this image:

The red shape is the original hollow object from your scene. Instead of using that for dynamics you can use proxy objects that are easier to calculate, concave shapes or boxes (don't forget to adjust those in the rigid body tags). As you can see I've placed a bunch of boxes that follow the shape of your object and increased their size a bit so they overlap. The two blue boxes close the front and back of the shape. This calculates faster and is more precise. Especially with low Steps per Frame (dynamics setting)

08 August 2017
Here's a list of corrections and issues.

1. Set the Cloner Render instances to ON, NOT the Emitter.
2. In the Dynamics Tag of the Cloner, set the Shape to Box.
3. Replace the "Loft.1" with planes (Also, instead of a transparent material, you can use the "traffic light" dots in the Object Manager, or a Display Tag)
4. The "exploding" particles happen because the Emission rate is very high, and particles are generated on top of each other (overlap) and that causes an explosive reaction. Either make the emitter larger, or the emission smaller.

Although the above changes will make your scene faster, it will get slower as more particles accumulate. There's nothing you can do about that, except buying a faster Computer.

Here's the changed file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqwhqsyss...clesv2.c4d?dl=0

08 August 2017
@Thanasis: Use boxes instead of planes and you'll get away with fewer steps without any of the objects escaping Volumes are better for testing collisions than planes. With the exception of the floor object, which is handles as a special case that will act like an infinite collision volume below it.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Havealot: @Thanasis: Use boxes instead of planes and you'll get away with fewer steps without any of the objects escaping Volumes are better for testing collisions than planes. With the exception of the floor object, which is handles as a special case that will act like an infinite collision volume below it.
indeed, Boxes rule! :-)
(I have to write a bit more for the message to be accepted by the forum...)

08 August 2017
and here's the file with boxes instead of planes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3dt4k53r...clesv3.c4d?dl=0

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Bikhu: Im not really clear what you're saying about crating shapes for each side. Can you please explain more in laymans terms as I'm relatively new to C4D
See if this attached file works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxpy2wz5x...er.c4d.zip?dl=0

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Last edited by vid2k2 : 08 August 2017 at 02:54 PM.

08 August 2017
@David: Your file is still using static mesh.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Havealot: @David: Your file is still using static mesh.
Yes ... it also works as a moving mesh ... just showing other options

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

08 August 2017
Thanks for all the help. This idea of using proxies is not going to work unless the shape is very simple like the one in my project. I have another shape which is created from a spline imported from illustrator and is much more complicated so I can't use proxies like that. Can someone tell me please if I buy X particles will it be worth the money or will it still be a slow pain in the butt? Cause I dont want to spend all that money only to find it makes no difference.

08 August 2017
it does make a difference. not only in speed, also in ease of use and possibilities. never heard of anyone regretting buying xparticles...

reply share thread