Announcing Cinema 4D Release 19

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #61
I see Open EXR has new functionality, but is it version 2 with deep compositing?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #62
I'm hoping that since any HDRI can be used on a sky to supply the lighting and reflections for the realtime viewport, maybe Lightmap can get HDR Light Studio working with it, then we could have real time adjustment of HDR lighting.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #63
The 2 outstanding new features I see are:

1) Enhanced OpenGL viewport - very Eevee-like but probably much easier to use. So you can probably get Unreal, CryEngine graphics level realtime renders or similar in C4D now. The LOD object would help pull this off at better framerates as well.

2) The ability to extract pointclouds and basic meshes from motion tracking. Syntheyes and some other matchmovers have had similar functionality for years.

This feature is very useful for things like walking around a real world filmset with a video camera, then using motion tracking to generate a partial pointcloud or mesh of the filmset that has been recorded.

Makes it much easier to insert things like 3D CG set extensions or objects into filmed live action footage, without getting the scale, measurements and dimensions of the real world scene wrong.

Overall, this looks quite solid.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #64
Originally Posted by grrinc: I had a rant or two about how lacklustre C4D appears to be getting, but this update has a few nice touches.

PSD are an excellent addition but as a concept, quite dated. Hash Animation: Master had them over ten years ago.
The fracture stuff is nice too but NitroMan's plug in seems better featured at first glance.
The viewport speed up and PBR implementation is welcome too.

I'll wait it out to R20 but on the whole, this seems like Maxon want to keep up with the other major apps.
PSD where indeed in them apps, also in MODO, but the fact is they where missing in C4D where I need it.  Dated or not it takes a long time to manualy set up each limb.  I did notice that it takes position, and twist into account so it looks to be a better than just rotation driven.  I do hope  the PSDs mirror over correctly.

Dan

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65
Originally Posted by skeebertus: 1) Enhanced OpenGL viewport - very Eevee-like but probably much easier to use. So you can probably get Unreal, CryEngine graphics level realtime renders or similar in C4D now. The LOD object would help pull this off at better framerates as well.

After watching the demos, I think Eevee is easier and more consistent in usage. At the very least the nodal material editing in Blender Eevee with the Principled BSDF shader is FAR ahead of C4D R19's messy PBR material editor.  Integration in Blender is also more consistent in terms of Blender workflow compared to how PBR is integrated in R19. In my opinion - I work with Eevee in the alpha builds, and base my comparison on what I saw in Cineversity's PBR demo.

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 3 Weeks Ago at 10:18 AM.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #66
Looks great.
Is the real time blur or "roughness map" leveraged to accelerate blurs in Standard or Physical renderer?
Can Prorender renders accurate surface caustics?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #67
Originally Posted by laurent: Looks great.
Is the real time blur or "roughness map" leveraged to accelerate blurs in Standard or Physical renderer?
Can Prorender renders accurate surface caustics?
Yes, caustics are supported.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68
I wonder, is ProRender part of all versions. including Prime?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: I wonder, is ProRender part of all versions. including Prime?
ProRender is included in Visualize, Broadcast and Studio
You can find a complete comparison here
https://www.maxon.net/en/products/i...uct-comparison/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
So this pbr workflow...do I have to make things work explicitly for theOpenGL view and would have to rewotk them for other purposes like rendering or games, or can I make my materials as usual and the automatically work with the new OpenGL features ?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
Mildly disappointed but not enough to jump ship. I see a lot of core stuff listed here. If R20 is the big one, I'll be quite happy.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
I think this is a solid release.

I have been calling for the glue feature to be added to dynamics for the past few years. Better late than never.
The enhancements to the viewport and hardware preview are very welcome as well.

Lots of other features to help with my workflow in general.
Cheers Maxon.

Cian.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #73
Originally Posted by Emmanuel: So this pbr workflow...do I have to make things work explicitly for theOpenGL view and would have to rewotk them for other purposes like rendering or games, or can I make my materials as usual and the automatically work with the new OpenGL features ?
Just to clear up any confusion with pbr materials. It’s exactly the same material as all other c4d materials but using exclusively the reflectance channel. So the color channel is disabled and a diffuse layer is enabled in reflectance. 
You can create a pbr material on your own by adjusting the already existing c4d materials. You don’t need to create a pbr material from the menu to get a pbr workflow 

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #74
Originally Posted by arqjuan: Thanks, I couldn't find it.
It seems like new features for Prime users are almost non existent. 
Well, it was to be expected that ProRender would not be in Prime (Cineversity should rethink the title of their video "New in Cinema 4D R19: Release 19 AMD ProRender, OpenCL Based Rendering for Everyone") . But this statement is a bit on the negative side. Prime gets:
- new viewport (which looks great and has been requested quite a lot)
- new polygon reduction generator (completely unexpected for me, but looks great and I think this is of use for many)
- new OpenGL based 3D painting (also requested a lot)
- weighting improvements
- improved media handling (sure, no fancy feature but may save a lot of time. Looks like one of the things you don't want to miss once you tried it)
+ many minor things (not listed in comparison, but I guess many of the small things listed in the complete list are included as well)

Now this is not my dream update (this would have included a material node editor, native OpenVDB support and modelling updates), but it is solid for 180€ that I pay for MSA. One thing that keeps me scratching my head though: why the hell did they not include the LOD object with Prime (and Broadcast)? This is just an ideal companion to the polygon reduction, and from an algorithmic point of view, it is much easier than the reduction, which is part of prime. LOD is a pretty old concept and although it might not be part of all 3d packages out there, it is pretty basic stuff (which should also be possible with a plugin). It is not a pro level feature, but a big time safer and workflow helper. It would have been a great addition to prime without giving a super advanced piece of tech to the poor prime users. That said, I realy like how they implemented it with the distance bar.

Overall, this looks like a good release and I am really envious of ProRender and that litle LOD-object ;-)

Last edited by christianS : 2 Weeks Ago at 05:33 PM.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #75
Originally Posted by kiwi: I see Open EXR has new functionality, but is it version 2 with deep compositing?
We won't see this for a great many years. If you want deep comp, you'll need an external render engine. 

reply share thread