Announcing Cinema 4D Release 19

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2017
That's a relief!

Mind you I think with the improvements to the viewport I may well stick with Physical, Team Render and a small network of macs. Look dev is going to work quite well with all these sweet enhancements.

07 July 2017
Looks pretty rad, nice to have GPU rendering native in c4d!

07 July 2017
besides the vp enhancements i'm most excited about the weighting improvements (especially the mirroring) and psds... been waiting for this

07 July 2017
Hmm a bit underwhelmed myself as a non native renderer Im probably not going to see the viewport enhancements and also no need for pro render. No mention of actual viewport redraw enhancement just making it look nice with c4d mats. A lot of mention of the future but still nibbling round the edges really.

Random offset in variation shader UV is probably the best thing for me. But I wish they could have stretched to some triplanar mapping, Its everywhere else and I wouldnt have thought it was that hard to implement compared to some of the other stuff.

07 July 2017
Voronoi fracture glue is what I was waiting for. That, and GPU rendering.
Former gf: XSI

07 July 2017

This looks nice for those working with Houdini. Wondering how the interpolation & Morph tag works with changing-point-count Alembic meshes & motion blur.

07 July 2017
The sound effector enhancements look brilliant. Being able to dial in visually a section of a sound file for the effector to react to is a wonderful way to work.

Viewport enhancements: good enough for me for many projects. Does the viewport support HDRI lighting?

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: The sound effector enhancements look brilliant. Being able to dial in visually a section of a sound file for the effector to react to is a wonderful way to work.

Viewport enhancements: good enough for me for many projects. Does the viewport support HDRI lighting?

Yeah, the new Sound Effector is much more controllable and a lot of fun.

The viewport supports HDRI lighting and the reflection of area lights and luminant planes, plus multi-layered reflectance, roughness maps, screen-space reflections, depth-of-field and more

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by RickBarrett: Yeah, the new Sound Effector is much more controllable and a lot of fun.

The viewport supports HDRI lighting and the reflection of area lights and luminant planes, plus multi-layered reflectance, roughness maps, screen-space reflections, depth-of-field and more
Thanks, Rick. This looks so awesome. I don't do a lot of super heavy 3d work so this new viewport with all the super sampling options could probably handle most of my work and make it possible for me to do more. I'm a one man band for all things animation and video in my company.

This has actually made my Mac/pc decision harder with all of these wonderful enhancements in R19.

Scene reconstruction also looks incredible. In the cineversity demo when they start building a mesh from the tree - that's got some pretty cool implications for VFX. Really cool stuff.

If this is the basis for R20, then Maxon has me excited to renew my MSA . But now I can't wait for R20 to see what else they've got planned! Great job, Maxon. You gave me a lot of stuff I want. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm quite pleased.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Hmm a bit underwhelmed myself as a non native renderer Im probably not going to see the viewport enhancements and also no need for pro render. No mention of actual viewport redraw enhancement just making it look nice with c4d mats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AorfP9tVOZQ

07 July 2017
Some good stuff in here... BUT the new PBR workflow, but what a letdown !!!

So the so-called new PBR material/workflow is just a reflectance preset?

Such an opporunity wasted to "clean the ui" of all the redundancy of the legacy system.

If you have separate shader, whykeep all the old unused stuff instead of making a simple and clean new interface?

I'm fine with layering, but at least make it good and get rid of all the duplicated stuff.

If it's just reflectance it means that there's no Metallic/Rough (or spec/glos), it's not energy conservative. I'm guessing Fresnel is also off by default and can be set to anything not physically plausible.

Instead of being simpler, it's just more confusing than ever.

07 July 2017
How does ProRender perform on the new iMac with Rx 580 and 8GB of ram?Can it work with the internal GPU and an external GPU in a thunderbolt 3 breakout box?

I'm also wondering with these wonderful viewport renderings, if one could make something like x-particles look good, too. I'm also interested to see how "post effects" can be applied to the hardware renderer (bloom, etc).

Dang, I'm so excited for R19.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by EricM: Some good stuff in here... BUT the new PBR workflow, but what a letdown !!!

If it's just reflectance it means that there's no Metallic/Rough (or spec/glos), it's not energy conservative. I'm guessing Fresnel is also off by default and can be set to anything not physically plausible.

Instead of being simpler, it's just more confusing than ever.

Hey Eric,

I'm not an expert in PBR, but from what I understand it's basically a loose set of concepts which can be implemented in different ways. We're implementing a workflow that's based on the theory of PBR. The PBR preset creates two layers - a diffuse layer and a reflection layer (which by default has 30% roughness and a PET fresnel).

The Reflectance channel gives lots of flexibility to create multi-layered PBR materials that ARE energy conservative, but ProRender, the Viewport and the PBR workflow in general will continue to evolve.

With R19 the emphasis was to make it easier for users to transition to PBR workflows, but to keep in place the existing material system and color-channel workflow so users weren't forced to immediately make a change.

07 July 2017
Hi,

i am highly interessted in the new viewport. My work is not aimed at realism that much, so the new viewport could really boost my productivity.
One thing i have in many scenes are mesh-area-lights (neon-like). At the moment i use redshift to render these in a fast way. Does the new viewport support those light meshes? Even a decent "fake" would be great.

bye e

07 July 2017
Thanks, but next time... We do love changes...

Anyway, this is a great release, and it has more updates than just AMD. It beats Maya 2018 release, wich basically just fixed the many bugs they themselves introduced over time.

We dont have that many bugs, plus we have lots of new stuff to play with.
Former gf: XSI

reply share thread