First AMD Threadripper Cinebench R15 results published

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 6 Days Ago   #46
Well Cinebench is super easy to tamper with. 

You can basically open the scenes in Cinema and save them with different render settings.

Look how fast my little quad core can go weeeee!

Old 6 Days Ago   #47
Originally Posted by Shademaster: Look how fast my little quad core can go weeeee!

Lol.

Does anybody know when the AMD server chips are coming out?
There's no shortage of articles online, but there's conflicting reports regarding their release.

Old 6 Days Ago   #48
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Lol.

Does anybody know when the AMD server chips are coming out?
There's no shortage of articles online, but there's conflicting reports regarding their release.
Yea last I heard was mid September, I could be wrong on that. 

Old 6 Days Ago   #49
New 1950X Cinebench results: 3413 CB
http://wccftech.com/amd-threadrippe...ly-performance/

Last edited by laurent : 6 Days Ago at 03:29 PM.

Old 6 Days Ago   #50
Originally Posted by laurent: New 1950X Cinebench results: 3413 CB
http://wccftech.com/amd-threadrippe...ly-performance/

Holy crap! Is that overclocked or does the chip turbo's to that speed?

Man if the thermals are under control this is some insane workstation material. One threadripper is as fast as 4 of my current computers.

By the way it is available in The Netherlands:

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/862...pper-1950x.html

Old 6 Days Ago   #51
It should be OC to 4.1ghz, @stock speed reach ~3080points.

Old 6 Days Ago   #52
Yeah, it's OCed. But they could do better the ram isn't even at 3000MHz. At stock it pulls a 3050CB

"Man if the thermals are under control this is some insane workstation material."

Watercooling is recommended by AMD, and if you intend to push the beast a 1000W PSU. More or less the same set up for a I9 7900X but cheaper, more powerful and 64 PCIe lanes.

Old 6 Days Ago   #53
The CPU alone consume 180W(or above 200 when OC), seems unwise to recommend 1000W without knowing what other components you are going to use in your system. I'm going to use TR in a renderslave with the cheapest GPU I can find and even a good 500W PSU in my case should be plenty. On the other end you can easily need 1500W or more once you fill all the PCIe slots with several GPU, disks ecc.

Old 6 Days Ago   #54
Something got lost in translation. You'll be fine at stock speed.  I'm talking overclocking Threadripper..
Threadripper 1950X
ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme
Corsair LPX 3200MHz
Corsair MP500 M.2
nVidia GTX 980
Corsair HX1000i
OCed at 4.2GHz this simple setup draws 690W  vs 380W stock.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...ripper_review/3

Old 5 Days Ago   #55
Can someone from Maxon explain bad OpenGl performance of AMD chips in Cinebench ?
Thank you.
UPD: I mean OpenGl performance in Cinebench with AMD processors 

Last edited by uncia : 5 Days Ago at 02:37 PM.

Old 5 Days Ago   #56
Originally Posted by uncia: Can someone from Maxon explain bad OpenGl performance of AMD chips in Cinebench ?
Thank you.

There is no bad OpenGL performance of AMD gfx chips in CineBench - quite the contrary.

Best regards,

Wilfried

Old 5 Days Ago   #57
Originally Posted by Shademaster: Holy crap! Is that overclocked or does the chip turbo's to that speed?

Man if the thermals are under control this is some insane workstation material. One threadripper is as fast as 4 of my current computers.

Threadripper is a fantastic CPU - just not for Intel. =) Har har har...

Lets see what a 2 X EPYC box can do. 64 Cores/128 Threads in a single box.

But seriously, Intel has lost big time. Everbody who thought Intel was a "good company" now begins to realize that Intel wasn't pushing the envelope the last 10 years at all.

I think that AMD is now on course to get a 25 - 40% share of the overall CPU market, even though AMD is very small compared to Intel.

My next machine will be AMD, especially if they create a Threadripper mobile chip for laptops as well. I'd love to have 8 - 12 cores in my next laptop.

Old 5 Days Ago   #58
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Everbody who thought Intel was a "good company"
ahem . . . intel anti-competitive behaviour

Old 5 Days Ago   #59
Originally Posted by uncia: Can someone from Maxon explain bad OpenGl performance of AMD chips in Cinebench ?
Thank you.
UPD: I mean OpenGl performance in Cinebench with AMD processors 

In Cinema 4D OGL speed depends to a degree on single core performance. If you have a CPU that has low single core performance you will not be able to achieve the same OGL scores than a system with a faster CPU and the same GPU. While the new Ryzen are not as fast in single core speed as their Intel counterparts, they are not slow by any means. Sadly older AMD processors basically have no counterparts in the upper i7 range so they often compare less favourable.
You realy have to check what processors exactly you compare.

Old 5 Days Ago   #60
Originally Posted by laurent: OCed at 4.2GHz this simple setup draws 690W  vs 380W stock.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...ripper_review/3

That graph shows that they have *TRIPLED* the amount of wattage the chip sucks up over stock voltage. Sorry, I simply don't believe those numbers. No CPU can handle double the wattage, let alone triple. Especially given that the AMD chips dont overclock that far.

reply share thread