First AMD Threadripper Cinebench R15 results published

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: There's a Cinebench scores list here that includes 20 cores and up Xeons for comparison.
http://cbscores.com/

Similar scores at much higher prices. And a much lower single thread.

Other news: It's been confirmed that Intel's i9 has SEVERE overheating issues.

You read that right: even with a high-end air cooler the CPU will be throttled after a few minutes.

It basically means it is worthless for 3d rendering at anything beyond a couple of minutes, unless you invest heavily in a costly high-end water cooled system.

Read up on the story here:
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-xs-design-well

And all because Intel decided to scrape the bottom in favour of profits. Intel is looking pretty bad at this point, while AMD is looking better and better.

Great info and I agree with your conclusions. Intel borked this up to some degree while at teh same time AMD finally got it right. I like it. My preferred PC provider is also planning on offering Threadripper systems soon so I'll be taking a real close look at those.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
I agree that Intel has been resting on their laurels for far too long during the last several years in which they have essentially had no competition because AMD chispests were complete garbage.

But - that's part of the problem. AMD has been so bad for so long that, as welcome as these new developments are, and as encouraging as the picture is it paints for the future of not only AMD, but CPU tech in general with the market again having some real competition, AMD still has a long way to go in my mind to erase the stigma of their less than glorious past. My optimism is present, but surely guarded.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: I agree that Intel has been resting on their laurels for far too long during the last several years in which they have essentially had no competition because AMD chispests were complete garbage.

But - that's part of the problem. AMD has been so bad for so long that, as welcome as these new developments are, and as encouraging as the picture is it paints for the future of not only AMD, but CPU tech in general with the market again having some real competition, AMD still has a long way to go in my mind to erase the stigma of their less than glorious past. My optimism is present, but surely guarded.
What are you talking about? AMD has never been 'garbage' or 'so bad'.
They weren't competitive in the high performance segment but they made up for it with moderate pricing. There's plenty of computers out there running trouble free AMD hardware.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Why not compare to Intel's 14 core, 20 core offerings?

AMD Threadripper 16 core is 999 Dollars. Intel Core i9 16 core (i9-7960X) which isn't even out yet is priced at 1699 Dollars

AMD Threadripper 16 core is 700 Dollars cheaper than its Intel counterpart, even if the Intel chip may turn out to be a bit faster.

Do the math: 1998 Dollars buys you 2 X Threadripper 16 core CPUs. 1699 Dollars buys you 1 X Intel Core i9 16 cores.

The CPU that should be really fantastic for 3D rendering boxes, if priced aggressively, is AMD EPYC 32 Cores or even 2 X AMD EPYC 32 Cores in 1 rendering box.

I don't know what the pricing of EPYC X 2 looks like (don't think it has been announced yet), but think about it - only 1 render box to maintain/upgrade, delivering a whopping 64 Cores / 128 Threads of rendering performance.

Its going to be interesting how multi-core CPU performance scales on EPYC. Will a 2 X 32 Core EPYC system deliver superb multi-core performance in CPU rendering? Nobody knows yet.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
This is seriously interesting. According to my calculations you can achieve some seriously low CB/$ efficiency on a 1950x setup!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: I agree that Intel has been resting on their laurels for far too long during the last several years in which they have essentially had no competition because AMD chispests were complete garbage.

What warrants your distrust if I may ask? Isn't it about performance per dollar?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Tomorrow Dell/Alienware are announcing pricing for Threadripper workstations. That's what I'm waiting for as we count down to Siggraph and I try to decide what computer I need to actually do the work I get paid for. *I wonder how much Prorender will change what I'm able to do on my own without server farms.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: Tomorrow Dell/Alienware are announcing pricing for Threadripper workstations. That's what I'm waiting for as we count down to Siggraph and I try to decide what computer I need to actually do the work I get paid for. *I wonder how much Prorender will change what I'm able to do on my own without server farms.
I am looking forward to this as well.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
I just want to know how to assemble one (mobo and memory recomendations), so I can build me one

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
AMD's new Epyc server CPUs are blowing Intel right out of the water. No wonder Intel has had to resort to snide and untrue "glue" remarks.
New benchmarks for Cinebench:

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_be...15_multi_core-8

Pricing info:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/...md_epyc_launch/

AMD's top model Epyc 7601 scores 5424 points, and will cost $4000
Intel's top model Xeon E5-2699 v4 scores 3240 points, and costs $4938

SIngle socket Epyc 7551P scores 5118 points, and will cost $2000

Do the math. :-P

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 3 Weeks Ago at 07:41 PM.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
WOW.

Well, this is one way to give GPU engines a run for their money.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: WOW.

Well, this is one way to give GPU engines a run for their money.
With OpenCL render engines such as AMD Prorender BOTH the GPU(s) and CPU(s) can be utilized simultaneously. Best of both worlds - smart move by Maxon: everyone wins. Imagine having two fast GPUs and two Epyc CPUs working together... :-)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
Originally Posted by luisRiera: I just want to know how to assemble one (mobo and memory recomendations), so I can build me one
Hi luis,
Motherboard manufacturer have lists of tested and compatible memory for every single one of their products.
In case you want to overclock your memory manufacturer have certified kits like the G.SKILL Flare X series.
You'll find tons of knowledgeable enthusiast on the various motherboard manufacturer forums.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29
Quote: With OpenCL render engines such as AMD Prorender BOTH the GPU(s) and CPU(s) can be utilized simultaneously.
Actually Chaos group managed to also run Cuda on CPU, hence their new Vray hybrid render mode (CPU + GPU). I don't think it's working on AMD based mac though, as only Otoy has claimed to have ported Cuda to AMD. So, in the meantime, yeah, OpenCL is the easiest way to have an hybrid renderer working on all platforms.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30
@hvanderwegen

Be aware that only a small part of CPU-monkey Cinebench score are actually coming from real CB tests. Especially for new CPU they use their in-house system to figure out the score but it's just hypothetical and it can be wrong by a significant margin. Also notice that 2xCPU systems do not scale linearly, 2x e5 2699V4 barely reach 5800/5900 points(while single CPU reach over 3200). The top end Epyc will never reach 5424points(and certainly not 2x in dual CPU system), non the less it will outperform easily the 2699v4 in both performance(Cinebench15) and price, for other workload memory bounded it will perform even better.
Considering the brand new line of Xeon it will perform nicely as well, even against 2x 8180(10/13.000$ for each CPU).

reply share thread