R18 SP3 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2017   #1
R18 SP3 released

Hi all,
the Service Pack 3 for R18 has been released.
See here https://www.maxon.net/fileadmin/MAX..._Changelist.pdf for the changelist
Cheers
Björn

Old 07 July 2017   #2
Glad to see updates happening even this close to what is typically a new version announcement.

Do you know if the Substance issue (limited to size 2048) has been resolved? *I've been holding off on the last updates due to that issue. * (I'm still on 18.041)

Old 07 July 2017   #3
Sorry, since i am not working in QA anymore i would have to check the list myself, you have a better chance identifying it than me

Old 07 July 2017   #4
I understand...it's just that the list doesn't get that specific. *That's ok. l'll wait and see what others say.*

Old 07 July 2017   #5
Did I overlook it? Or is there nothing about team render?

best regards
Jops

Old 07 July 2017   #6
@interactiveBoy: Which Substance issue?

The issue with the Substance OGL engine on OSX introduced with the last hotfix got fixed with R18 SP3.

Substance outputs being limited to 2048x2048 output resolution has never been an issue, though. It is only the default*SSE2 Substance Engine being limited to this resolution (and this limitation is not on MAXON's side). The other engines, which can be chosen in the Preferences, support up to 8k resolution, although I wouldn't recommend it and would rather stick to 4k.

Old 07 July 2017   #7
Nice to get an update, but I'm wondering when they're going to fix the bug with removing unused materials? *If the material is used in the material override section in Render Settings, it still deletes it. *Seems like it should be an easy fix.

BTW I have submitted bug reports.

Old 07 July 2017   #8
I'm glad to see the Houdini engine supporting particle orientation.... but why are we still on Houdini 15.5? Houdini 16 arrived in February! If Maxon really wants it to be used in production, you *need* to keep it updated with SideFx's production builds (each of which, I might add, come with an updated version of the Maya, Unity, and Unreal Engine bridge plugins - all built into the H installer).

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 07 July 2017 at 08:20 PM.

Old 07 July 2017   #9
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I'm glad to see the Houdini engine supporting particle orientation.... but why are we still on Houdini 15.5? *Houdini 16 arrived in February! If Maxon really wants it to be used in production, you *need* to keep it updated with SideFx's production builds (each of which, I might add, come with an updated version the the Maya, Unity, and Unreal Engine bridge plug-ins - all built into the H installer).*

v16 wasn't production ready - functional regression had been found in QA tests.

Best regards,

Wilfried

Old 07 July 2017   #10
Originally Posted by wbj: v16 wasn't production ready - functional regression had been found in QA tests.

Best regards,

Wilfried

Thanks for the info. I admit that I'm not entirely savvy to development timelines, but couldn't these things be worked out with SideFx in the weeks prior to V16's release, back in December/January/February? I would hope that Maxon is able to take part in a beta process alongside the render-engine-bridge developers, who do seem to do quite well with their compatibility timelines .

Old 07 July 2017   #11
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Thanks for the info. I admit that I'm not entirely savvy to development timelines, but couldn't these things be worked out with SideFx in the weeks prior to V16's release, back in December/January/February? I would hope that Maxon is able to take part in a beta process alongside the render-engine-bridge developers, who do seem to do quite well with their compatibility timelines .

In this case the regression was found quite late and so the option either was to break potentially things and have known functional regressions in a service pack (something you try to avoid, but not always succeed in - see Substance in the previous SP as mentioned in this thread), or you roll back to a version without these issues.

Best regards,

Wilfried

Old 07 July 2017   #12
Well I updated and now on every start C4D crashes and I get the macOS crash report panel. If I open the program again from the Dock it simply crashes again, but if I click 'reopen' it works. Any ideas?

Old 07 July 2017   #13
Hmm. One thing that stands out in that list that I was initially pretty excited about "OpenGL performance fixes on macOS". No huge changes in performance likely without changes to the Object Manager but maybe some of this results in overall better viewport performance on Mac, perhaps bringing it closer to par with PCs?

I think I'll take the chance and download it either way. Will report back if crashing occurs.

Old 07 July 2017   #14
>Well I updated and now on every start C4D crashes and I get the macOS crash report panel. If I open the program again from the Dock it simply
crashes again, but if I click 'reopen' it works. Any ideas?<

Seems to be working OK on my laptop running 10.10.5
Launches fine from the dock and double click launch from Applications is also OK.

Old 07 July 2017   #15
No issues here so far.

reply share thread