Realflow 2.0

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Well it's released tomorrow (Monday 24th), so you should get an email - or just check the Next Limit website during the day. I'll definitely be upgrading, based on the beta and these vids.

I won't get an email as I didn't buy 1.0 but it matters to me that people reward honest behavior on the part of developers and businesses in generaly, and avoid rewarding behavior that is less than honest. If they pull promotional pricing before announcing a better discount for early adopters that's shady as well. Guess I'll pass or wait until Cyber Monday or something. If I still need it then.

07 July 2017
So RF|C4D 2.0 is out – can any owners of version 1.0 see the upgrade price in their account? Mine says beta tester discount, but I bought version 1.0, so I'm hoping it'll be a bit cheaper than €420...

07 July 2017
Yes, the cost for owners of 1.0 is $495. The cost for beta testers is $495.

Not my favorite company at all.
I wish them much ill will.

07 July 2017
I received both my 2.0 license and "upgrade" emails today. I can also confirm that the upgrade price is $495.

I jumped the gun on the pre-order not realizing that it wasn't upgrade pricing and paid $545 (and extra $50). Not the biggest loss, but after reaching out to support 2 weeks ago requesting a pre-order cancellation and refund until upgrade pricing is announced, and given the runaround with no refund, I find their business methods questionable at best. Off the top of my head, the EULA states that a customer is entitled to a refund as long as a license has not been issued.

They're fortunate enough that they have a capable product, but the lack of proper communication is confounding, and I remember the shitstorm that Maxon received (before the Maxon blog) for lack of communication to customers.

Maybe it's time to start looking into Houdini...

07 July 2017
So, as long as you just downloaded it during the beta test, you get the same discount as those schmucks who paid more than £500 for the first version. Ouch.

07 July 2017
Looks like the 2.0 installer is ready for C4D R19. R19 is also referenced in the System Requirements in the 2.0 documentation. With Siggraph fast-approaching, maybe we'll hear something soon.

07 July 2017
Looks like they did pull the promotional pricing as well despite the confusion they caused. Now $795. 

Curious to know how many users out there feel it's worth that. Tempted to pass even though it looks like they addressed some of the weaknesses.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: Looks like they did pull the promotional pricing as well despite the confusion they caused. Now $795. 

Curious to know how many users out there feel it's worth that. Tempted to pass even though it looks like they addressed some of the weaknesses.

If you mean the upgrade pricing, that's accessible via Next Limit's customer portal in the My Upgrades section. The pre-order pricing was meant to end on the 24th (yesterday); that's been noted since the pre-order was first available.

07 July 2017
wow.... very high, 420 Euro for upgrade..... wait for some discount offer or Black Friday.

07 July 2017
I know this is not Maxon's pricing or fault, but Jesus it's hard to love C4D lately. Literally everything is half arsed and years behind. The 'b-but it's easy to learn' schtick can no longer be the justification for the price.

I am by no means a pro but Houdini is not quite the learning headache that is made out. Houdini can flesh out this stuff in no time.

I suggest you guys let Maxon know that it is time to start looking after the guys who want a little bit more from Cinema than 'spinning letters'.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: Looks like they did pull the promotional pricing as well despite the confusion they caused. Now $795. 

If you really want to get into Realflow I would suggest the full stand alone application.  Less crashing and much more responsive to work with when using LOTS of particles.  They'll probably have another big sale at some point...typically that's what Next Limit seems to do for new users.  If you only need some basic fluid simulations you could go the X-Particle's FLIP route which is fairly fast, or Houdini indie or even Blender has good enough fluid dynamics.  They improved the C4d version with 2.0 but I think the price isn't right.  I recall the full 10.0 stand alone being on sale for 895 USD when it came out (which was also the upgrade cost...).  Why pay almost the same price for the plugin without Hybrido and other advanced features?   I may not like Next Limit's marketing but I do still like the stand alone version enough to recommend it only if you -need- fluid simulations.  

07 July 2017
pnoland: have you used the 2.0 plugin yet?

I probably would consider the full version but I do like the idea of working inside C4D natively, and frankly I don't need the tools in the full version required to create ocean-scale simulations, etc.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: pnoland: have you used the 2.0 plugin yet?

I probably would consider the full version but I do like the idea of working inside C4D natively, and frankly I don't need the tools in the full version required to create ocean-scale simulations, etc.
I used the beta a bit and it seemed better but I still had crashes and the limitations of the Cinema4d view port.  Working with lots of particles is always a chore in C4d.  The idea of a realflow solver working directly with C4d objects is great but I personally prefer the stand alone app.  I tend to simulate to console rather than in the view port since if that crashes my rf10 app is still open.  Can't do that in the plugin version as far as I know.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by pnoland: I used the beta a bit and it seemed better but I still had crashes and the limitations of the Cinema4d view port.  Working with lots of particles is always a chore in C4d.  The idea of a realflow solver working directly with C4d objects is great but I personally prefer the stand alone app.  I tend to simulate to console rather than in the view port since if that crashes my rf10 app is still open.  Can't do that in the plugin version as far as I know.
Actually that makes sense on a number of levels. I wonder what if any effect the ProRender aspect will have on working with particle systems (any plugin not just this one). My guess is none / that the only resolution is the all-consuming object management fixes we always talk about. 

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by Blinny: Actually that makes sense on a number of levels. I wonder what if any effect the ProRender aspect will have on working with paritcle systems (any plugin not just this one). My guess is none.
I would guess that it would have to be generated geometry for particle rendering until or if they include an installing option.  It will be interesting to see what pro render will do in the first release.  

reply share thread